Well....

Started by renovicini, March 19, 2022, 09:30:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renovicini

Since this project is dead, I think I can pose this question.
What are you using now for radio playout?
Reno Vicini
                      OtsDJ - PDI PAAA-BHE8
Scheduling & Logging - PDI PB1L-F4NW

milky

I'm not sure that the project is dead, but the updates are certainly scarce.

I still use Ots as it is. It is perfectly functional, and does all the things I need it to.
OtsDJ           PDI = PAAA-BHVP,  PBQN-3658
S & L               PDI = PAAA-BK27 x 2
Studio             PDI = PAAA-BL38

Lane

I use a Mac program, Radiologik DJ and Scheduler. I made that decision around 2009 when it had some crucial features I needed in order to get on the air as a one man station. I actually begged the developer to work out something similar to what Ots does to analyze song intro and outro to automatically create the transitions between songs. He did it, and that sold me.

That said, for certain folks, Ots is perfectly suitable and is still best in class on some areas. I still envy how you can slow down a song so much maintaining pitch. They do that extremely well.
It's all just programming :P

Jigger

Like Milky I find Ots still suitable for my needs.
Ron
PDI PAAA-BE42 x 2 OtsAV Pro
PDI PBQ4-BH3P x 1 OtsAV Pro

renovicini

i agree. it works perfectly. but missing so many features. radio playout software has advanced and we are missing out.
Reno Vicini
                      OtsDJ - PDI PAAA-BHE8
Scheduling & Logging - PDI PB1L-F4NW

milky

As Lane suggested, Ots has never really been radio friendly.

It's original name was OtsJuke and was supposed to have replaced the jukebox, then it morphed to OtsAVDJ, OtsAVRD and OtsAVTV when we thought that there may be some tailoring to each particular stream, and addressing their specific needs. Sure, we got S&L which went part of the way towards scheduling sound hours, and logging the details for subsequent APRA reporting, but it was only a token gesture towards the many radio/TV specific needs - jingle inserts to name just one.

That is not to say it can't be used for a local Community Station. I'm sure there are many who use it that way, but, in many cases, that is just like plugging your home system into a transmitter or streaming service and playing your favourite tunes - many long streets away from what is needed for a REAL radio station environment.

I own a terrestrial radio station in Australia, and the thought of using Ots for the playout software never crossed my mind, but, for my home music room, it works just fine.
OtsDJ           PDI = PAAA-BHVP,  PBQN-3658
S & L               PDI = PAAA-BK27 x 2
Studio             PDI = PAAA-BL38