Fender forever.

Started by milky, May 18, 2019, 11:35:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milky

This is my amazingly talented son, Paul, cranking out the bass to "Grease" (on vinyl) on his Fender. I built the Tube amp and Speaker bin he is playing through.
OtsDJ           PDI = PAAA-BHVP,  PBQN-3658
S & L               PDI = PAAA-BK27 x 2
Studio             PDI = PAAA-BL38

Jumpin' Jeff

Jeff Main

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time. 
Abraham Lincoln

OtsAV license holder for life.
PDI: OtsAV TV Broadcaster PARC-KHY7

Jammin' Adam

Just an ordinary average guy, who built an ordinary average computer, and uses it to play some ordinary average music, using a very extraordinary and extremely above average software called OtsAV. Which gives an ordinary average person, some extraordinary and  better than average multimedia enjoyment, to supplement an otherwise ordinary average lifestyle.

OtsAV PDI's:
PAAA-BGGD | PBSB-FQ1N | PA31-FB5V

Dr.J

Jigger

I bet that sounds good with the tube amp
Ron
PDI PAAA-BE42 x 2 OtsAV Pro
PDI PBQ4-BH3P x 1 OtsAV Pro

milky

Quote from: Jigger on May 20, 2019, 11:06:54 AM
I bet that sounds good with the tube amp

Yes it does! It boasts a usable frequency response right down to 10Hz. The speaker enclosure is tuned around a centre frequency of 120Hz with a second harmonic around 480Hz, so it really rattles the rib cage.

The Fender bass is a 5 stringer (he also has a six string Ibenez bass in the background), so it has a low B string beneath the usual E, giving even deeper bass, suited well to a wide range of modern and country music. The Effects Processor pedals at his feet allow him to dial up numerous reverb and echo effects, but also select different classic "sounds" like the big slap bass, or different famous combinations of tone wood like Rosewood, Ash, Ebony etc.

Ed

clover-leaf-productions

The picture looks great!  Now we need to hear this fellow test this rig out on some video.  :)  Hey while your making that video we want to see Milky in auction.  We know you have plenty of musicality in your blood. :aGuitar:
Cheers,
Brian
Dayton, Ohio, USA

www.clover-leaf-productions.com

Tim Gainer

YOu can never go wrong with a tube amp OR  thumpin' a Fender through one! :aGuitar:
Ots Radio Broadcaster 1.94
PDI=PB5E-FGPP
Ots DJPro 1.94
PDI=PBN6-ZLTL
Ots DJPro 1.90
PDI=PBXH-PNK9

If music is the food of the soul, then play on...

:aGuitar:

milky

Quote from: Tim Gainer on May 23, 2019, 02:38:19 PM
YOu can never go wrong with a tube amp OR  thumpin' a Fender through one! :aGuitar:

I hear you, brother.

I've seen vids of you playing your back-to-front (to my eyes) lead guitars. Do you play bass or any other instruments? I seem to recall you engineered all the backing stuff for your last album.
We should do a virtual hookup, Tim.

milky

Quote from: clover-leaf-productions on May 22, 2019, 08:39:14 PM
The picture looks great!  Now we need to hear this fellow test this rig out on some video.  :)  Hey while your making that video we want to see Milky in auction.  We know you have plenty of musicality in your blood. :aGuitar:

Alas, Paul has massive stage fright, but is happy to be a session musician. I, OTH am not shy at all, but fear that my limited talents would not measure up against the CLP, whom I know to be world class.

Perhaps this becomes a case of, "You show me yours, and I'll show you mine"?

Ed

clover-leaf-productions

Well Doctor, that is all me playing that massive pipe organthat you see in my avatar photo next to this message.  The thing that is really amazing is that picture is now 20 years old!  I've lost the dark hair.  Heck I've lost the hair! :)  I do still love to play that big pipe organ at the church.  With my declining health issues, alas I only get to play it for fun these days on selected rare ocassions.  Fortunately as of last Fall I managed to get this little 852 pound foundling that lives in the music room here at the house to actually work again.

For those who are still reading, and are interested, it is a 1982 Rodgers Specification 990.  It was the height, and conclussion of Rodgers analog consoles.  Much of the voicing in this monster was the same technology as that in Virgil Fox's touring Rodgers Black Beauty.

So I have no massive pipes in the house, but the sound being routed through my Yamaha mixers with the proper amount of affects dialed in does produce a relatively pleasing sound.

Cheers,
Brian
Dayton, Ohio, USA

www.clover-leaf-productions.com

milky

That is a beautiful thing! I would love to hear that in full flight.

Incidentally, the bass amp in the picture was built around a Hammond organ, hand drawn circuit I stumbled across in an ancient book on tube circuit design. It took me a long time to source the two monster transformers that form the heart of the beast, but worth the search as the sound and stability of that amp is amazing.