What Are Your Initial Thoughts About Esperance??

Started by Glen J. Millar, August 01, 2012, 04:01:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darryl

Hi Jeff,
I'm working on an update to the Karaoke Hoster to work with Esperance.  It's nearly working, but I've got other problems with my laptop now - just rebooted (trying to get the toolbar in OtsAV working again) and it took over 4 minutes - very odd.
OtsAV: PDI PAAA-BFDR

Version 3.0.8.0 of the Karaoke Hoster is available now - http://sourceforge.net/projects/karaokehoster

Checkout my CDG Editor - repair badly ripped CDG Karaoke files with ease: http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdgeditor/

Now Playing in OtsAV - https://sourceforge.net/projects/nowplayinginots/ - Show your Windows Live Messenger contacts what you are listening to in OtsAV.

Ots_Adam

Quote from: Stress_Magnet on August 01, 2012, 08:43:37 PM
The most important thing was previously mentioned and that is the lack of Documentation to accompany the release , there can be no excuse as these changes have taken sooooo long that even the tea boy could have written a manual for this , I am happy to use ots for ever exclusively , but sad that some of the simple omissions were made.

I'm sorry, but that's a really unfair comment. How do you know what goes on at Ots Labs? Do you know the reasons for this release taking sooooooo long as you put it? Many of us didn't sleep for two days straight in order to make this deadline. For me personally, I still haven't - and the release went out almost 12 hours ago.

Why not take a different approach for once? How about saying "Wow, this is great. Ots Labs drew a line in the sand and said they would deliver this before the end of July - and hey, they did - terrific"? Instead the best you can do is complain about waiting a few extra hours for some documentation. At least you get to play, you have it. If we hadn't have put it out by the "deadline" because we were overly caring about getting the docs in line with what made final release as our number one priority, what would your comment have been then? It begs the question doesn't it?

The point is, Ots did everything within its power, even going to unreasonable personal efforts in order to make this happen. How about some appreciation for that fact? We didn't *have* to do anything. We did it because we value our word. At no point did we state that the release would be fully polished, perfect and complete in every facet. In fact we even went out of our way to state the opposite - we said that even if we have to drop things, we'll get this out within said timeframe. Seems a bit trifle to be complaining about docs just 11 hours after it went out, wouldn't you think? We are people too.

Many of the things in the release are pretty intuitive anyway - especially when combined with the description that was published at www.otsav.com/esperance/ Sure, it will be great to have some basic docs to explain the new functionality to tide things over until when our entire OtsAV docs are completely overhauled for Esperance. But it's not exactly fair to dump on us for that. We stated that it would take a while for some things to catch up. Making a comment like the tea boy could have written it demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of how this industry works. Should the tea boy have written the software too?

Have you seen the "preliminary" or sometimes even non-existent documentation we often have to put up with from Microsoft on a regular basis? The world isn't perfect. That's certainly true. But Ots did deliver Esperance, and within the timeframe they said they would. That's also true. I'm not personally in favour of any more of these deadline-type scenarios. And it only makes it worse when people focus on the "what's missings" rather than the "what's theres".

OK, I've had my rant. And I apologise. It's not personal - I realise anyone could have equally made a similar comment to you and probably fairly innocently so. But it's not a bad thing for you guys to get some real understanding of the pain that we go through. All this talk about "Ots deliberately stalling until midnight". Yeah, right.

Cheers,
Adam
Ots Labs - Intelligence for your AV.

djandy

hi ADAM
is it possible to use the parameters knob on the denon 4500 to scroll up & down the library ?
OtsAV DJ Pro-Classic+ Pdi = PAR6-2WWQ
OtsAV DJ Pro-Classic Pdi = PBHZ-5G5L
Karaoke CD+G Module Pdi = PAB2-MEAQ
Video Module Pdi = PAF6-3FTC

Jumpin' Jeff

Quote from: JohnnyTheFox on August 01, 2012, 09:37:15 PM
Jeff's or Darryl's (I can't remember which of these two geniuses put it together) AHK script for "currently playing" seems to have stopped working  :ohmy:
Do you have a link to the script?
Jeff Main

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time. 
Abraham Lincoln

OtsAV license holder for life.
PDI: OtsAV TV Broadcaster PARC-KHY7

JohnnyTheFox

Quote from: Artist formerly known as 'Jumpin' Jeff' on August 01, 2012, 10:01:51 PM
Do you have a link to the script?

Can't find the link to the script on here but here is an upload. It seems to have been prepared by Robbie1876

[attachment deleted by admin]
OtsAV DJ Pro-Classic+ [with free upgrades to 2.0] - PDI:PBH1-543J - 2 licenses
OtsAV TV Broadcaster - PDI:PB2Y-JZR1
OtsAV Radio Broadcaster - PDI:PAPE-H3HR
OtsAV Radio Webcaster - PDI:PBPK-TP67
OtsTurntables Silver - PDI:PA3C-KLZY

'The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine' - Abraham Lincoln

JohnnyTheFox

Quote from: JohnnyTheFox on August 01, 2012, 10:17:06 PM
Can't find the link to the script on here but here is an upload. It seems to have been prepared by Robbie1876

i don't whether the Defines.ahk may need changing?
OtsAV DJ Pro-Classic+ [with free upgrades to 2.0] - PDI:PBH1-543J - 2 licenses
OtsAV TV Broadcaster - PDI:PB2Y-JZR1
OtsAV Radio Broadcaster - PDI:PAPE-H3HR
OtsAV Radio Webcaster - PDI:PBPK-TP67
OtsTurntables Silver - PDI:PA3C-KLZY

'The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine' - Abraham Lincoln

djnpd

Anyone tried the new version with the HC4500 and tried the scroll know in the library?

djandy

not been able to scroll the library but you can the play list / history /karaoke prepare
OtsAV DJ Pro-Classic+ Pdi = PAR6-2WWQ
OtsAV DJ Pro-Classic Pdi = PBHZ-5G5L
Karaoke CD+G Module Pdi = PAB2-MEAQ
Video Module Pdi = PAF6-3FTC

Stress_Magnet

Adam
If its worth having its worth fighting for that's all we are doing fighting for Ots, You HAVE worked hard You Have supplied OTS which Has met most every need thus far, can you blame anyone for being Disappointed with the quantity..... NOT... Dissatisfied by any means with the quality.
There is a huge, huge Difference

I for one, am an Ots Junkie and am forever checking email and websites for additional goodies
probably (O.C.D)
and it is not my fault that I like your product and cannot get enough of it, just the  same as everyone else out there.
I wasn't bashing Ots, or the tea boy in my post , that was just a figure of speech See post #49 where i realised how harsh i was before you told me off in post #61.
:rolleyes:
I Know We are all absolutely happy with ots, not only because because what you have done is sheer genius, but we are all little boys at heart, and once you showed us the best we now only want the best and will clamour for more because  we are addicted to OTS.

It IS your fault really, as you have created a huge demand . We love ots and all have different ideas what we would like it to incorporate which is fair enough, we are also investors after all. Ha Ha

We dont mean to be demanding but just hope some of our ideas will be useful to you as we are mainly djs showmen and presenters, most of us  dont do software, but we have a reasonable idea what we would like to have in our musical arsenals,even though we cant even program the TV remote. :unsure:

Once again for what its worth I totally applaud you and the OTS team, you have done a fantastic job but we all love our toys and OTS is one of the best, so naturally we, just  like baby birds  with a tasty worm are not happy with just the one meal, but we all love OTS and you too Adam, hope the rant got rid of some of your stress.
I really hope I didnt offend you with my comments but remember that  it isn't criticism you are getting from most people, it is mere disappointment because we will never be satisfied until we have the Whole nine yards.
A Human Quality!!!

Accept my apologies once again Adam have a sleep,a pat on the back and Crack on please LoL :thumbsup:
--------------------
Brian Morris
Listen to The Music Mobile Roadshow
1st Record Played as a Jock 10538 Overture
by Electric Light Orchestra

PB2E-1FHS   OtsBoomBox    x2
PA5X-W6B2  OtsAVDJ Pro    x3
PBG8-7GWH  Karaoke          x1

djnpd

Having had a bit of a play with searches I now see the reason for the search system, it just takes some getting used to.

What I would suggest is create a forum here with the tittle of search help tips.

Darryl

djnpd - re: looping: I haven't got enough spare buttons on my cheap controller to try it (unless I take off some other functionality to give it a go).  The HC4500 implementation uses the flip, a1, a2 and exit buttons if that helps.  

Different things happen if flip is held, exit is held or both are held when you press the a1 or a2 buttons.  

It isn't too obvious from just looking the code - I think we need a HC4500 owner to try it.

Version 3.0.8.0 of the Karaoke Hoster is available now - http://sourceforge.net/projects/karaokehoster

Checkout my CDG Editor - repair badly ripped CDG Karaoke files with ease: http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdgeditor/

Now Playing in OtsAV - https://sourceforge.net/projects/nowplayinginots/ - Show your Windows Live Messenger contacts what you are listening to in OtsAV.

RockinRon

Adam - agreed with those above.  Go get yourself a WELL deserved beer.  It's sad that there are so many in the DJ industry who 'want want want'.  I'm a very active DJ in the evenings, but work as a video editor in the daytime, and I'll say, aside from the rock solid stability, easy of use, awesome auto-mix features and everything else, OTS has been absolutely amazing for the fact that, if you were an early adopter, you're still getting (and have gotten) most of these updates free of charge.  AND, the cost of the software is STILL low today for what it does.  Yea, there are other pieces of DJ software that do other things and are similar and around the same price/cheaper/etc - but I for one am of the belief that offering these pieces of software at such low prices is one of the biggest problems the industry has (in the mobile industry at least), due to the fact that so many expect everything for literally NO money.

I pay at least 2k USD a year to update my video and imaging software to be current, and do so because i have to.  Many others are still going on a $350 or less purchase with multiple updates.  Not that i mind the fact that OTS is more affordable, but OTS is simply the SINGLE most used piece of 'equipment' that i own.  EVERY single event I do, I utilize OTS.  Speakers, amps, mixers, etc. may come and go, but OTS is the real hero, and I'd be willing to pay for each and every upgrade (maybe that would stop some of the complainers too, eh? If you guys just call this release 2.0, then update from there and make everyone pay for their upgrade, they'll have nothing to complain about... they'd have to buy it to complain!) -- i know it's more complicated than that, but you get the point

Now that that's over, i will say that I am overall pleased with the many new features of the release and appreciate the hard work that went into this.  I may have a few things that 'I would have done different', but dont we all? At the end of the day it comes down to usability and reliability, both of which are very well focused on in this release, as it has been the standard for every other release.

With that said, I've read there is exploration for the support of other video formats, but is there anything else that can be given about H.264 support? Obviously this has quickly become the industry standard for DJs and beyond.  Is it licensing for the codecs? Are there conversion problems? Concerns about quality?  This is my only 'real' disappointment, albeit slight, as I have no problem doing the MPEG4-MPEG2 conversion dance before heading into OTS, just an extra step is all.

Other than that, to reiterate, I truly appreciate the hard work and sticking true to the 'line in the sand' for delivery... and deliver you did! There's still more to come too and i look forward to it all! But this is enough to at least get the gears rolling again and be able to be even more creative behind the wheels of steel! (or plastic as they are on my 4500 :-)

Cheers Adam! And the rest of the Ots Crew!

Darryl

I hate to be the doom monger here tonight, but I've found another cosmetic defect - when dragging the 'thumb' in the scrollbar if you accidentally move the mouse off the side of the OtsAV UI into the video overlay, the hand icon is visible over the top of the video overlay.

dj scramble

My initial thoughts are that I have events this week-end, next week-end, and the week-end after that which have all of my computers tied up...  Until I get a break in my schedule allowing one of my machines to be open for a week-end, I will still be running 1.85...  (Life without a net sucks...)

What I have right now is stable...  (I am sure 1.90 is just as stable) This decision is not made by my fear of the software, but by my fear of my IT guy's skills...  I am my companies IT guy...  I am not that good...  LOL...  I will have to live vicariously through you guys in the mean time...

That, and I can watch as the knowledge base builds up on this release minimizing my learning curve...
My guys have to be trained on the new features...  That will take a few sessions...  What I learn here in this forum will be VALUABLE!!!

To Adam & the rest of the team...  THANK YOU for delivering the product on this timetable...  The only feature I was looking for was looping... THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, FOR LOOPING!!!  The fact that you after being up for a few days without rest speaks volume as to the character of you and the rest of your team!!!

Get some rest (and a beer...)