external controllers

Started by Mike Sinclair, May 17, 2011, 09:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Sinclair

I'm considering an external controller, but the price is quite high. Really, all I want it for is to be able to emulate F2 and F6 (the play buttons for each deck in OTS). Is there a simpler controller? It seems like in the early days of OTS, someone had something to "remotely fire" each play button... maybe I'm wrong. If anyone knows of a way without spending hundreds of dollars, I'd be interested. Thanks!

Mike Sinclair

I have a Pioneer DJM-5000 mixer and it says it is fully midi-capable. How can I use the midi functions with this mixer and OTS? I'm trying to google it, but no luck.

DICEDJ

Would suggest looking at x-keys if you need a simple controller.

Andy
OtsDJ Pro 1.75 [with free upgrades to 2.0]    PAWQ-AAHJ, PAAA-BHQZ, PAAA-BK5L, PAAA-BK5J,
PAZY-AXH1
Video Module  PBMZ-MF6T, Boombox  PB18-J4XQ
S&L  PACS-TPLG

Mike Sinclair

woo-hoo! I figured it out. I figured out how to map separate commands to my mixer. Now I can fire each deck right from the mixing board... Amazing!

Dr.J

Cool, would be willing to share your findings? I'm looking at purchasing the same mixer in the near future.

Mike Sinclair

Dr J ... first off, if you do buy this mixer, you will be VERY happy with the purchase. The thing is AMAZING! It's built like a tank and sounds fantastic. Anyway, I have no problem sharing my findings. Here's what you do:

First off, install the driver for the mixer and then set it as your sound card(s) in OTS. You can either have one slider for OTS, or assign one for each deck (this is my preference). If you need any assistance with that, let me know.

Once that's all set, flip the switch on your Mixer that says MIDI On/Off to ON (it's off by default).

Run OTS (if you get an error message about MIDI, flip the midi switch back off, run OTS and then flip it on with OTS running). In OTS go to Options - OHM/MIDI Hardware Control and check "Hardware Controller Enabled" and "Enable Controller at Program Startup". Under OHM/MIDI Configuration, click on Input Device, and the Pioneer Mixer should show up in the pull down menu, choose it. In Output, choose Microsoft G5 Wavetable..." OHM Controller. Enable OHM/Controller Status and Enable "Enable at Program Startup". Press a button on the mixer... if you see code show up where it says "last input code" then press COPY ... if you do NOT see any code show up, then close out of OTS and when OTS asks if you want to save, click SAVE and then run OTS again and go back to the spot you were before and hit a mixer button and it should show you the code for it. (Note: whenever you run OTS, it's best to have the Mixer on and plugged into the USB port on your computer. Otherwise, you might have to re-set your sound card settings). Under OHM File, choose an existing Controller map (one that you know you won't be using, just remember which one you choose) and click "EDIT" next to it. This will bring up the MIDI map for the controller. Find the command you want to replace. If you hit CONTROL-F for "find" and type the word "Transport" that will take you to the transport controls and show you PLAY for Deck A. Highlight the code and paste (control-V) the code you copied earlier. Go back and hit the button you want to play deck B and then follow same steps as above, but choose play for Deck B when you paste the code (overwhelming, I know). When you're done, click CTRL-S or SAVE from the menu. Close OTS again, SAVE and re-run the program, now, when you hit the button you assigned, it should play the deck (put a song in deck first, obviously).

If this is too crazy, Let me know what buttons you want for what functions, I'll create the OHML file for you and email it to you. You'd still have to choose it in configuration, but it would be less work.

Darryl

You don't need to re-run OtsAV for changes to the OHM file to take effect, the "Refresh All" button on the OHM/MIDI Configuration dialog box is enough.

Have fun,
Darryl.
OtsAV: PDI PAAA-BFDR

Version 3.0.8.0 of the Karaoke Hoster is available now - http://sourceforge.net/projects/karaokehoster

Checkout my CDG Editor - repair badly ripped CDG Karaoke files with ease: http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdgeditor/

Now Playing in OtsAV - https://sourceforge.net/projects/nowplayinginots/ - Show your Windows Live Messenger contacts what you are listening to in OtsAV.

Dr.J

Thanks for the heads up with the programming, when I get the mixer and map it out I'll post my OHM file. Thanks again.

Mike Sinclair

Quote from: Darryl on May 18, 2011, 10:52:41 PM
You don't need to re-run OtsAV for changes to the OHM file to take effect, the "Refresh All" button on the OHM/MIDI Configuration dialog box is enough.

Have fun,
Darryl.

NICE! Thanks for that. It makes it a little easier.