OTS vs other software... my two cents...

Started by Mike Sinclair, May 16, 2011, 08:04:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Sinclair

I am a Mac guy and I would LOVE to have OTS on my Macbook pro without bootcamp and Windows, but I know that's a ways away (if at all)... that being said, I have tried virtual dj, traktor, and a handful of other popular dj programs and I always end up back at OTS. Case in point: this past weekend, I tried out traktor and it's not bad, but the levels were all over the place. OTS' Dynamic Compressor really makes everything sound much better. I ended up booting up my backup laptop and switching over to OTS for about 70% of the gig... sounded cleaner and punchier and more even levels with OTS.

I know a lot of people want looping and other features (me included) but I think that as far as reliability, OTS is still better than anything else out there (IMO) and I know that once OTS Corp adds looping, it will be rock solid and stable.

GO OTS !!!

Darryl

I agree entirely.

The issue for a lot of users (especially new ones who have seen all the wizz-bang features in competing products) is that of patience.  I truly believe that Ots Labs will deliver something fantastic - but I have no idea when (it could be years).  I now consider (like you have) that what I've got is very good and very reliable and have to weigh up the risks/costs (time converting my library of videos and karaoke is a big factor for me) against what I'd gain from the other products.

A lot of experienced OtsAV users on this forum have found novel ways of getting the functionality they want without waiting for Ots Labs to add it to Ots AV.  One user, for instance, knows from experience when he is likely to need a looped intro on a song and creates his own edit before the event.  Recently a user posted how to apply a brake effect using OHML.  The inventiveness of users on here never ceases to impress me.  This suggests to me that the core product is good enough that these people would rather find ways of putting it to their own needs instead of dumping it and trying something else.

The other factor is that if I wanted effects or looping, there are a considerable number of DJ mixers with effects and samplers that I could choose from.  However people only ever comment on my choices of music at gigs and how I interact with the audience, not what I do to the tracks or how I mix them together (even when I deliberately speed them up and slow them down and play bits backwards from time to time).

Have fun,
Darryl
OtsAV: PDI PAAA-BFDR

Version 3.0.8.0 of the Karaoke Hoster is available now - http://sourceforge.net/projects/karaokehoster

Checkout my CDG Editor - repair badly ripped CDG Karaoke files with ease: http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdgeditor/

Now Playing in OtsAV - https://sourceforge.net/projects/nowplayinginots/ - Show your Windows Live Messenger contacts what you are listening to in OtsAV.

DJBLUEEntertainment

how long does it take to get something right? for ots it seems forever! the product does need to keep up to remain competitive - something of which allot of people say it just aint. it used to be good - but now unfortunately its lacking further and further behind.

people are expecting more from DJ's and the software internally aint keeping up.

its the old saying sink or swim - going from one song go the other (or beat matched) just does not cut it for allot of audiences these days they do want looping, they do want effects and so on.

I'm also moving to mac, i wont get the stability of the white box only to run windows on it, so my days with ots is becoming numbered - rapidly.

i have been trialing virtual DJ and i don't mind it - depends on the needs now days and i am needing more

Jigger

It has always been said here if Ots dose not give you what you need now, then maybe it is time to move on no hard feelings.
Ron
PDI PAAA-BE42 x 2 OtsAV Pro
PDI PBQ4-BH3P x 1 OtsAV Pro

Jumpin' Jeff

And may I add, there have been a few here that have ventured into other software, only to return due to the stability of Ots compared to their alternative software.

To each his/her own.
Jeff Main

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time. 
Abraham Lincoln

OtsAV license holder for life.
PDI: OtsAV TV Broadcaster PARC-KHY7

discodonal.com

We love Ots for obvious reasons. But give us something to keep us going such as light control . . .

Darryl

Yep - functionality vs stability.  It's a tricky one - if I'm using effects/looping etc at a gig, I'm not sure that the guests will remember that - but I'm sure they'll remember 5 minutes of silence while the DJ reboots the computer!  I can't comment on the stability of the competition (except from a guest's point of view - I know DJs using other products and I've been at their gigs and the music has played fine), but I trust Ots AV to just keep playing.

Have fun,
Darryl.

Version 3.0.8.0 of the Karaoke Hoster is available now - http://sourceforge.net/projects/karaokehoster

Checkout my CDG Editor - repair badly ripped CDG Karaoke files with ease: http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdgeditor/

Now Playing in OtsAV - https://sourceforge.net/projects/nowplayinginots/ - Show your Windows Live Messenger contacts what you are listening to in OtsAV.

Michael

Hi,
I have just finished trying a lot of software to suit my new mac and none even come close to "OTS" 
The functions we mobile dj's need, like timers, easy to read layout, shortcuts, more than two lists open on the one screen, pitch and tempo controll.
I wouldn't use anything else and it's running great on the Mac Pro.

Cheers

Vinny H

While I'm on board with OTS and have no intention changing to another program, I understand why people are concerned with other programs seemingly passing OTS by.  Its true with any program out there...if anyone wants to stay in business they need to be competitive.  Sure, OTS has the most stable program I have seen and I do not wish for them to sacrifice stability for features. But money is being spent else where that could easily be kept with OTS.  If Windows was more stable but behind on driver support, and other features that makes it competitive would Microsoft still be in business? 

PDI
OtsAV Pro: PB7M-25XN

Ots_Steve

We have always said people should use whatever tool suits them best, whether that is OtsAV or something else. Naturally people's needs can change over time.

Much of the feedback we receive is similar to what has been expressed in this thread. Stability, reliability and core quality make OtsAV a compelling tool of choice for many.

The development team is going strong on the next release and we believe there will be many very satisfied customers and an increase in people switching to OtsAV from other tools once it is released.

Thanks for your feedback guys.

There are many new customers coming on board every day and some feedback we have received recently is from ex-VDJ owners, switching over to take advantage from OtsAV's video quality, audio quality and mixing.

All the best,

Ots_Steve

Ots Labs - Intelligence for your AV.™
DOWNLOAD FREE: OtsAV, OtsTurntables and Ots CD Scratch 1200

mel garland

Thanks for dropping by Steve.  It's nice to know that you are still visiting.  On a side note are we still on course to get update you are excited about, which you mentioned back in January on a thread in this forum.
Melvyn
Tiverton, Devon, Uk
PAAA BKBK

Darryl

Thanks Steve - The "We believe there will be ... an increase in people switching to OtsAV from other tools once it is released."  Is a very interesting statement.  I'm thoroughly looking forward to finding out exactly what that means!

Have fun,
Darryl.

Ots_Steve

Quote from: mel garland on May 28, 2011, 10:41:08 AM
Thanks for dropping by Steve.  It's nice to know that you are still visiting.  On a side note are we still on course to get update you are excited about, which you mentioned back in January on a thread in this forum.

Yes very much on track, although it is going to have a lot more now since then. The development process can be quite dynamic which is why we prefer not to release details until the end. I can't say much more, but very confident many people will be pleased with the next release. ;)

And as normal, we've kept to our philosophy of doing things right the first time (reliable and powerful), rather than going the easy way out. It definitely is harder and takes longer with this approach, but makes for a far better tool overall.

Ots_Steve

Ots Labs - Intelligence for your AV.™
DOWNLOAD FREE: OtsAV, OtsTurntables and Ots CD Scratch 1200

lee miran

This is a very encouraging thread.  I haven't been a working mobile DJ now for about 6 years.  However, am seriously thinking of starting up a new DJ venture.  That being said, I've really been testing Ots again and other software. 

I like Ots, that's what I was used to.  But some of the competition is really good and has become much more stable (which may also be because of hardware advancements) than I remember from 6 years ago.  And personally I feel as though I would like some bells and whistles.  I've really been torn.  But I'll try to hang on to see what Ots has in store.

moodymedia

Quote from: jedisinclair on May 16, 2011, 08:04:10 PM
I am a Mac guy and I would LOVE to have OTS on my Macbook pro without bootcamp and Windows, but I know that's a ways away (if at all)... that being said, I have tried virtual dj, traktor, and a handful of other popular dj programs and I always end up back at OTS. Case in point: this past weekend, I tried out traktor and it's not bad, but the levels were all over the place. OTS' Dynamic Compressor really makes everything sound much better. I ended up booting up my backup laptop and switching over to OTS for about 70% of the gig... sounded cleaner and punchier and more even levels with OTS.

I know a lot of people want looping and other features (me included) but I think that as far as reliability, OTS is still better than anything else out there (IMO) and I know that once OTS Corp adds looping, it will be rock solid and stable.

GO OTS !!!

OTS on my Macbook pro

Works Fine with Bootcamp, well does on mine...