Announcement: OtsAV 1.90.014 Maintenance Release

Started by Glen J. Millar, July 22, 2013, 02:05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dj Buik

I tested the demo version on my Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit (Intel Atom D525)

Audio only.

No crashes

BTW: Why are there no announcements from the Ots crew on this forum anymore?

Dj Buik, Netherlands (PAAA-BFAJ, PADQ-QAAN, PAES-37QS and PB7S-AD6J)

tjmalvesti

Well, I installed the latest version and it was running well for about 15 minutes and then it froze and became unresponsive (but the music kept playing). I had to close it from the Task Manager. In 13 years of using OTS this is the first time I've seen this happen. I was hovering over the song data when this occurred. I'm running Windows 7 64 Bit.

Attached is a screen shot of the "crash".

TJ Malvesti
PAAA-BFLQ x 3 OtsAV DJ Pro-Classic+
PAAA-BK18 x 2 Scheduling & Logging (Now Obsolete)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
OTS user since 2000

DJ-MK

I really preferred 1.85.074 due to having the catagories and being able to resize the columns on my small 4:3 screen. I just find the last update before this too complicated - and STILL no new radio features. How long have we been waiting for voice tracking? I wish they would use the song intro timing feature in ots studio, its been there for years!

Darryl

I've just installed 1.90.014 TV full version on my Windows 7 64 laptop and tried it.  No crashes yet but I have had one "This program has stopped working" message (although it carried on fine).  This was when opening an Ots album on my laptop's internal drive using the Windows Explorer "Play With OtsAV" right-click option (I've not got the external drive connected).

A couple of install issues - Installing 1.90.014 over 1.90.000 lost my Media Library sort settings, moved my decks to the bottom and changed the colour scheme to the bright one.  Nothing I couldn't fix quite easily but unexpected.

I've quit and restarted it several times since reading Jeff's post and only got an error once (on the second run).
OtsAV: PDI PAAA-BFDR

Version 3.0.8.0 of the Karaoke Hoster is available now - http://sourceforge.net/projects/karaokehoster

Checkout my CDG Editor - repair badly ripped CDG Karaoke files with ease: http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdgeditor/

Now Playing in OtsAV - https://sourceforge.net/projects/nowplayinginots/ - Show your Windows Live Messenger contacts what you are listening to in OtsAV.

Ed

Ots needs to fix this 'Bug" or whatever it is before I install it on my Win 7 laptop, I would like to know what has been said about the crashes so far from Ots on this issue, "how many have reported it????"

Glen J. Millar

Ed: Thus far there has been no responses to any posts on the Facebook official OtsAV Group or any other place from OtsAV. I am sure they will respond, but they may be looking after emails first.

Have you tried installing the Trial version on your system for testing? Usually from what I have read, those who run the trial with no problems also have no problems with the licensed version.

My Trial has been running on Windows 7 now for 5 hours with not a problem. Almost ready to test the licensed version soon.

Ed

Quote from: Capital DJ Services on July 22, 2013, 11:24:16 PM
Ed: Thus far there has been no responses to any posts on the Facebook official OtsAV Group or any other place from OtsAV. I am sure they will respond, but they may be looking after emails first.

Have you tried installing the Trial version on your system for testing? Usually from what I have read, those who run the trial with no problems also have no problems with the licensed version.

My Trial has been running on Windows 7 now for 5 hours with not a problem. Almost ready to test the licensed version soon.

Reluctantly, I installed the demo, audio only, and so far works fine, but hated the pop up info on mouse over IMO, so i disabled it.....I like the lighter choice but thats about it

Darryl

I like the info pop up.  Especially the comments part - I'll start using that feature now.
I'm pleased that the search for accented characters issue has been fixed - it shows that Ots Labs are listening and acting on customer issues.  It didn't affect me personally but we had a thread on the subject.

I've just figured out (or rather found the answer on google) how to get a synaptic touch pad to work the scroll bars in Esperance - it's the last thing that has been annoying me since the new user interface.  I'll start a thread on that since it's unrelated to this release.
OtsAV: PDI PAAA-BFDR

Version 3.0.8.0 of the Karaoke Hoster is available now - http://sourceforge.net/projects/karaokehoster

Checkout my CDG Editor - repair badly ripped CDG Karaoke files with ease: http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdgeditor/

Now Playing in OtsAV - https://sourceforge.net/projects/nowplayinginots/ - Show your Windows Live Messenger contacts what you are listening to in OtsAV.

Jammin' Adam

Version 1.90.014 on Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bit here, no problems so far, all menus work as they should, ran audio and video without a single glitch.
Just an ordinary average guy, who built an ordinary average computer, and uses it to play some ordinary average music, using a very extraordinary and extremely above average software called OtsAV. Which gives an ordinary average person, some extraordinary and  better than average multimedia enjoyment, to supplement an otherwise ordinary average lifestyle.

OtsAV PDI's:
PAAA-BGGD | PBSB-FQ1N | PA31-FB5V

JAylmer

Quote from: Ed on July 22, 2013, 10:49:44 PM
Ots needs to fix this 'Bug" or whatever it is before I install it on my Win 7 laptop, I would like to know what has been said about the crashes so far from Ots on this issue, "how many have reported it????"
The difference between a compatible Win 7 and failing machine are not understood currently.  A Win 7 machine that seems to work OK with the latest OTS update may in fact fail after the next Win update, or Nortons virus checker gets installed or who know what.
That is why Ed has a good point.  Can you afford to find out your AVDJ is suddenly not functioning five minutes before a gig?

As for OTS competence, I don't have any problems with that.  OTS do not supply in a SOE environment which means they can't prepare themselves for what they don't know about.
It may well be a third party component that has failed, something out of their control. 
All that is important here is how OTS manage this incident and not the fact that the incident happened.

If I had Win 7 and the OTS update worked I might take the risk to use it in production but I would disconnect the network and make sure it worked, well before each gig.

Here's hoping for a quick resolution.

milky

WHilst I would agree with JAylmer in principal, because Ots Corp have no control over the job mix or environment some of us operate in, the fact that is has occurred numerous times on different machines within the first 12 hours of its release would tend to indicate their long-held claim to "bullet-proof" software has been relinquished. They should do what others do, and release a beta version so that it CAN be trialled in a large number of different environments.

I, for one, won't be going near it until I see consistent reports of stable operation.
OtsDJ           PDI = PAAA-BHVP,  PBQN-3658
S & L               PDI = PAAA-BK27 x 2
Studio             PDI = PAAA-BL38

Ots_Steve

We've been emailing the following official information to customers who have experienced an issue on their machine:

----------------------------------------

A small number of OtsAV customers - a total of four since 1.90.000 was released, and several more with the 1.90.014 release - have reported an issue whereby moving the mouse over on-screen controls (the menu button was usually mentioned, though not always) could occasionally cause the program to close unexpectedly.

Ots Labs engineers, our beta testers and QA have NEVER been able to reproduce the issue, and with only those four initial reports until 1.90.014 (and these customers ultimately had solved the issue by using different hardware or systems) we really have been at a loss over this issue.

The release of 1.90.014 appears to have slightly increased the number of affected systems. We've had eight reports since it went out. Still a very small number in context, but obviously an issue exists.

We've worked around the clock to get to the bottom of this. We can't 100% rule anything in or out, because as stated we've been unable to reproduce the issue on ANY of our systems. That said, we have found an extremely obscure bug that COULD be (and most likely IS) the cause. We've put out a new version, 1.90.015, which has been available on our systems as of July 22nd.

Although the issue by all accounts affects only a handful of people, it potentially CAN affect all versions prior to 1.90.015. Versions released before the 1.90 series (ie. 1.85.x and earlier) obviously contain even more issues that have been subsequently resolved, so we don't recommend earlier versions unless you have very special needs. As an example, support.microsoft.com/kb/979288 outlines a Microsoft bug, also mouse moving-related, that has affected many Windows software titles, including Office and Photoshop, and a work-around for this OS bug was first provided in OtsAV in version 1.90.000.

In summary, although most versions of OtsAV function flawlessly for the vast majority of our customers and we are certainly renown for our rock-solid stability, there will always be edge cases, OS bugs, hardware and/or driver issues, and of course obscure bugs of our own. Our team works diligently to keep the standard of our products to the absolute highest level humanly possible, and whether an issue is the result of an external factor or of our own making, we will always strive to deliver you solid, dependable results to the best of our collective abilities.

Thank you for your support.

OtsAV 1.90.015 can be downloaded here: http://www.otsav.com/download-latest/

----------------------------------------

We would encourage anyone who had an issue in this thread to install the 1.90.015 version.

All the best,
Ots_Steve

P.S. Thanks for posting this announcement thread Glen Millar (you beat me to it and no point having two). :)
Ots Labs - Intelligence for your AV.™
DOWNLOAD FREE: OtsAV, OtsTurntables and Ots CD Scratch 1200

Nicolee

Well as I don't use Ots as my main playout software I too decided to upgrade in light of the crashes as it wouldn't directly affect me but would put more info out there so others can make an informed decision to upgrade or not.

Anyway I also get a crash when trying to access the menu via the rotating Ots logo, the menu doesn't appear just get the message - OTS AVDJ has stopped working.

I'm currently using a Mid 2011 Apple iMac with an Intel i7 and Nvidia hardware, bootcamp is running windows 7 64-bit.

I never had any issues with v1.90, but since upgrading OTS consistently quits which I go anywhere near the rotating logo to access the menu.

There is no other software on the machine other than VDJ7 and Mixvibes, Windows 7 is fully upto date with current drivers, OTS was previosly have to co-exist with VDJ7 and Mixvibes So I can't see that being this issue.

However a report has been sent to Ots to investigate.
PDI's :

OtsAV Pro : PAAA-BF4B (OtsJuke since Nov 2000)
OtsAV Pro : PAB5-KQL8 (OtsAV Pro)

Ots_Steve

Hi Nicolee,

Looks like you just missed my post above. Have a read and then you should download the very latest 1.90.015.

Ots_Steve

Ots Labs - Intelligence for your AV.™
DOWNLOAD FREE: OtsAV, OtsTurntables and Ots CD Scratch 1200

redhot

SORTED!

I was one of the small number of users that reported 1.90.014 crashing, and having tried 1.90.015 I'm happy to report that the problem seems to have been resolved on my machine. Still testing before I use it tonight (I like living on the edge!).

Thanks Ots_Steve (& all the other guys) for dealing with this so quickly, and for such a comprehensive explanation of the issue.