OtsAV 1.90 - Esperance update important information

Started by Glen J. Millar, August 02, 2012, 12:24:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJMartin

BJ, the BPM is saved in the OTS album. So when you are anyway ripping the CD, have OTS Studio analyze the songs afterwards and store BPM info. This will be then visible in the media library.

What you describe, the analyze after load, seems to be common in other famous DJ products.
PAAA-BHZM / OtsAV DJ Pro-Classic+ 1.85 [with free upgrades to 2.0] / Qty. 5
PBS5-QX61 / OtsAV DJ Pro 1.85 / Qty. 1
PBE5-Z892 / OtsAV DJ Pro 1.85 / Qty. 1
Working with OTS over 10 Years

BJ

DJ Martin, I have tapped the beat in from OTS Studio and saved it and yes it shows up in the media library, but man that would take and eternity to do each file. There may not be a way to do it, but it would be nice to accomplish the same thing without having to edit each file. Just food for thought.

Thanks for your responce

BJ

sweet-lovelle

BJ, use Studio and go to Tools -> Batch Auto-Detect BPM/Beat and choose the location of your ots files and press the start button.

Bryan Durio

Just remember that you NEED TO check each song that Ots auto-detects to make sure you agree with its calculations, and if not, you need to set the mix points how you want them.
OtsAV DJ Pro-Classic+: PAV1-VFZA
OtsAV Radio Webcaster: PBVZ-51GE

I've got CDO, which is like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be.

It's all just ones and zeros. :p

BJ

There you go,that's sweet, got the entire database going. Should be finished by morning. Thanks Sweet-Lovelle & Bryan Durino. Now in 1.9 with auto beat on, does it detect the current bpm as you change tempo? 

Again thanks, great forum, reminds me of the early days of OTS.

BJ

Jigger

All that studio is doing is getting the BPM, Every track will not automatically beat mix  you should read the ABM tutorial,
You will have to activate the tracks you want to  beat mix , evey track is not suitable for auto beat mixing.
Ron
PDI PAAA-BE42 x 2 OtsAV Pro
PDI PBQ4-BH3P x 1 OtsAV Pro

BJ

Jigger, I understand that. It would be hard to beat match from a frank sinatra to BOZ Scags song. You would probably need to be in the same genre to get best results. What I was looking for was a way to simply get the bpm of each song in the file (close) so that when I drop it in the player in que I will know that the tempo is to fast or slow and needs to be adjusted before OTS auto mixes to that deck. For me that's one of the biggest features OTS has is mixing to two decks. It allows you enough time to prepare the next song get the beat set etc. Some of the other pro softwares mix to one deck only, not good for me. Of course i have audition and could edit the song and have it perfect when downloaded to ots, but often times I just don't have the time. I tried the batch auto-detect bpm and do not see the bpm result in the file. Maybe I did some thing wrong. It was definetly batch loading files, I left it on all night, but no bpm data in files. The only way I've been able to get that information in the file is to go to studio and tap the beat untill i'm satisfied it's correct.

BJ

I Just noticed, I've gone from newbie to jr. member. All right

Jumpin' Jeff

BJ, Problem is without checking each song, it might be double, half, or completely out if the track is wack enough. That's why you should check them out before enabling them. Thankfully with the new loop capability, you will be able to see how it tracks with the white beat markers when you tap them out (if not already present).

Personally, I'd like to see this method used for setting the beat for the entire track rather than the original ABM method. Then allow this method for those tracks that are slightly wierd that the tap metod wouldn't work for.
Jeff Main

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time. 
Abraham Lincoln

OtsAV license holder for life.
PDI: OtsAV TV Broadcaster PARC-KHY7

BJ

Jumpin Jeff, I want to ask a basic question, I don't mind being that guy. If we all think back to when we were in school there were times that someone had the nerve to ask the most basic of questions and we all said to ourselves I'm glad he asked that, now I too know the answer. I read every word of this forum and learn a lot of things I didn't know, especially about 1.9. I guess we all get in a rut and use only those things we need to get by to later learn there are definetly WOW features that we haven't discovered. I understand you can read the documents about ABM etc., but I had rather correspond with a dj that has actually used a particular feature sucessfully and learn from his knowledge. When you think of the function cue it takes on multiple meanings. If you talk to a scratch dj it would be where you start the track. For me it would be the function using the headset to listen to the track without it going on air. By this definetion I would be placing the song in que, taking it off air, the putting it back on air when I am satisfied with the tempo. This is just one example of defining what que means to your particular style of dj'ing. The basic question I want to ask is this, with ABM
set does this mean that the mix from the song that is currently playing will be mixed to the other deck on beat.

BJ

Jumpin' Jeff

Yes and no...

Let me explain, and clarify... No question is too basic! ;)
Yes, that is its intended meaning, but it really depends on the tracks in the cue. ;)

If the current track playing has an enabled ABM outro, and the incoming track has an enabled intro, then yes The tracks will align the intro and outro mixpoints, and mix on beat.

If however, either of the tracks have there intro or outro ABM disabled, Ots may load the next track to attempt, only to determine it is disabled, and use the traditional radio style mix between the 2 tracks.
Jeff Main

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time. 
Abraham Lincoln

OtsAV license holder for life.
PDI: OtsAV TV Broadcaster PARC-KHY7

sweet-lovelle

Quote from: BJ on August 11, 2012, 12:17:44 PM
I tried the batch auto-detect bpm and do not see the bpm result in the file. Maybe I did some thing wrong. It was definetly batch loading files, I left it on all night, but no bpm data in files. The only way I've been able to get that information in the file is to go to studio and tap the beat untill i'm satisfied it's correct.

BJ you have to refresh the files in OtsAV after you run the batch in Studio.

Ots_Steve

Quote from: sweet-lovelle on August 11, 2012, 05:21:18 PM
BJ you have to refresh the files in OtsAV after you run the batch in Studio.

Yes, BJ, as Sweet-lovelle has said, after you run the "Batch Auto-Detect BPM/Beat" function in Ots Studio on all your Ots Media files, you need to open OtsAV, go to menu FILE -> IMPORT/REFRESH FILES TO MEDIA LIBRARY... and select the button down the BOTTOM labelled "EASY SCAN WITH FORCED REFRESH OF ALL ITEMS IN MEDIA LIBRARY".

This special FORCED REFRESH will pick up the BPM data from the new Beat chunk present in all your Ots Media files.

You will then see the BPM in each deck and if you move the slider the BPM will change value. You can also use the "Match BPM" button on each deck (labelled "MB") to instantly change the tempo slider to match the BPM of the song in the other deck.

This seems to do exactly what you are asking/hoping for.

Note: You do NOT need to enable any intro our outro to make use of the auto-detected BPM data. You only need to do that for Automated Beat Mixing use.

All the above is explained here:

http://docs.otslabs.com/OtsAV/tut-abm/

Hope that helps.

Ots_Steve

Ots Labs - Intelligence for your AV.™
DOWNLOAD FREE: OtsAV, OtsTurntables and Ots CD Scratch 1200

BJ

Every now and then there is a WOOOOOW factor, for me this is it, I don't know how long this has been availaleThis but I'm kickin myself for not knowing this, this is what I bought OTS for. I don't know if you guys are familiar with a dance called the Shag,I know your familiar with another definition of that word but get your mind out of the gutter for a second. The main thrust of my work deals with this dance, competition etc. The beat is critical somewhere between 108-120bpm. The younger competitive dancers 120-135bpm. So in a mixed environment where you have younger and older dancers it takes the load off me by knowing what bpm the song is at so that i can adjust the tempo for the next deck. Other softwares fail to see the value of the second deck to automix to. Can't wait to share this information with fellow dj's and drum up some business for OTS. Game on!

Steve, I want to thank you on a personnel level, It means a lot to know the creator and innovator of the software thinks enough of his product that he is interested in the questions his users are having and responds himself, I have to give you your flowers while you living that is rare in this world today. You have had to respond to some pretty nasty comments, but you always choose your words carefully.

Again thanks to everyone on this forum, I would have been in the dark without you. What a great way to learn about the software we love and use daily.

I'll be looking for new post

Thanks

BJ

cyberbeat

Hey, don't worry about it.  I'm sure they'll just change the name again and then your license won't be valid anyway because it's for OtsAV ... and not for whatever the new branding is.  Afterall, isn't that how Ots Corp (oh I mean OtsLabs) works with their products i.e. OtsJuke/Pro/DJ/Radio/AV/TV/Esperance, etc?

It's reassuring to hear that Adam. Features that folks want, they will pay for (and so they should). It's clever marketing to sell features that will not be used as "free" in order to get the features that you want, and fair play to that, but those laws of suppply and demand that you refer to will win out in the end when people assess whether a price is worth paying to get the features they want, regardless of whether those other features are included "as free" or not.

For example, I will make a different assessment on an upgrade price that delivers 20 new features which include 10 things that I want and need, when compared to one that only includes 5. But it's clear from your post that you know that already, so fair play.

I can sympathise to a degree with your irritation over those that bought early and cheap who might seem to be the most demanding, although I wouldn't like Ots to lose sight of the fact that these people were only taking advantage of an offer that Ots made at the time for a 'future land of eastern promise' as they say in the Turkish Delight advert (which you may or may not get in Oz). Those that were in from the begining and paid $2 (joke) for OtsDJ with free upgrades to 2.0 and got free S&L and video / store credit etc were again only taking advantage of what was legitimately on offer from Ots at that time. I'm sure it's not the case Adam, but sometimes your understandable irritation can come across as treating those people as 2nd class citizens in some way. Ots had a different business model back then and when someone has a free updates to 2.0 licence the expectation is that they will keep what they have and qualify for future upgrades up to 2.0. This is no expectation that this could mean that in the process they could lose some /any functionality that they already have.

Having been given S&L for free some years ago by means of a legitimate offer from Ots that people quite rightly saw as an offer too great to miss out on, might feel irritated themselves when someone says actually you might lose some functionality in the future but you didn't pay for it so what's your problem.