What Are Your Initial Thoughts About Esperance??

Started by Glen J. Millar, August 01, 2012, 04:01:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff wood

Thanks for the reply Dr J

But I wouldnt describe the categories as a specific feature ..

ie, in the same way that lots of people here have wanted this or that..

surely having a list of categories is an essential part of any dj software ??

like I said, even PCDJ Red 5.2 etc had it...

why would anyone prefer to type in the name of the cat they want every time when all you need to do is just click on the cat you want ???

bonkers imo.

so no, I wont be "upgrading", and dont think im an ots hater because im not, I love 1.85

jeff wood

ps,,

I take your point about the set of questions being customisable

Because then that could be your list of categories,, ie instead of having questions like, what i have i played this gig etc

that could be the cats,,,

so then would only need one click to access your cat list

that wouldnt be so bad,, i could live with that  :icon_lol:

jeff wood

pps>

it would be a lot better if on the first click of the down arrow, it went to the category list,,, and then have a option on that list to go to another list, ie the one with the options like what songs have i played this gig, if you see what i mean ?

that would make more sense and would keep the old style category freaks like me happy ....

JohnnyTheFox

Anyone else having issues with RAC from another machine, or is it just me? Screenshot below
OtsAV DJ Pro-Classic+ [with free upgrades to 2.0] - PDI:PBH1-543J - 2 licenses
OtsAV TV Broadcaster - PDI:PB2Y-JZR1
OtsAV Radio Broadcaster - PDI:PAPE-H3HR
OtsAV Radio Webcaster - PDI:PBPK-TP67
OtsTurntables Silver - PDI:PA3C-KLZY

'The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine' - Abraham Lincoln

Dj Buik

Dj Buik, Netherlands (PAAA-BFAJ, PADQ-QAAN, PAES-37QS and PB7S-AD6J)

stevegallager

hi there
played with 1.9 all day and decided also thats its not for me. i am a full time dj working5+ nights a week, ive used ots for 8 years now and its just a few things that are wrong.
The search needs to search the whole library!!  (ESSENTIAL)
I also use my left mouse button and cursor to highlight multiple tracks in a playlist to drag and move but with 1.9 it doesnt let you so you have to do them singular or use your shift key (MOre WOrk !!!)
And also with all that spare space around the mixer (This is when ive turned the turntables off) the loop buttons couldnt get any smaller!!   these need to be bigger as i dont use a midi controller just a small keypad to operate the decks and mixer and apparently i cannot see any keyboard keys which operate the loop function so i have to use my mouse etc...bigger keys on screen needed!!!!
Surely a 2,4 8,16 bar keys for looping would have been better??

JohnnyTheFox

Quote from: JohnnyTheFox on August 02, 2012, 09:58:59 AM
Anyone else having issues with RAC from another machine, or is it just me? Screenshot below

it's okay - firewall issue now resolved  :thumbsup:
OtsAV DJ Pro-Classic+ [with free upgrades to 2.0] - PDI:PBH1-543J - 2 licenses
OtsAV TV Broadcaster - PDI:PB2Y-JZR1
OtsAV Radio Broadcaster - PDI:PAPE-H3HR
OtsAV Radio Webcaster - PDI:PBPK-TP67
OtsTurntables Silver - PDI:PA3C-KLZY

'The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine' - Abraham Lincoln

Hayd

Quote from: jeff wood on August 02, 2012, 08:29:44 AM
well Ive had a really good play with it now  :rolleyes:

and whilst there's a lot of things I do really like about it,, BUT I just cannot live with having to type in the name of the category that I want.

it's funny, one of the down points of OTS (for me) was that there was only 6 categories on display,,,and I was hoping that on this release there would be more ! but, as it happens there now isn't any !

reading the comments on this thread is making me wonder; are any of you (including adam) actually DJ's ????

surely the MOST important feature of all is to be able to quickly click on whatever category (genre) you want ...

so to have to click on two places before you even get to your categories is a joke,

forget the other method,,,who's gonna want to type in the whole name of the category everytime they want to choose a category ???

and then,,,to make matters worse,,, when you want to do a global search (ie from your whole collection), , you have to exit whatever category you were in,,and then youve got the hassle of going back to it.

I'm quite a hands on DJ,, I'm always changing the category that I'm working off, and I even use the category list to help me decide genre of music I'm going to play.

So, after given it a lot of thought, I will be sticking with 1.85.

This release for me isn't gonna work.

What I just dont get ..

Is why on earth cant you just have a category list on the left,,ie why the output level display is,,,that is all thats needed !

Even my ancient PCDJ red 5.2 had a lovely category display on the left,,,,surely thats not too much to ask is it ???
So true, the features that Djs use seem to be being sidetracked Cats are essential and I agree more would have been better on tabs rather than hiding in menus. Also pretty annoyed the the cd read is now gone, I use this loads at fetes and weddings with dance groups etc.. ripping while out playing live..I don't think so. Why are the deck controls so small !! arrgghhh

Radioboy104

Crashes within seconds of trying to do anything manually. No use whatsoever for community/public broadcasters - no voice track options (which some cheaper playout systems provide!), no decent scheduling that doesn't require laborious manual insertion of text lines in a template.

Overall, for a "here in November, no... it will be here later, no it will be here June/July but really on August 2", I am extremely disappointed and can't believe that I fell for the hype and delayed buying a playout system for many months for what seems to be just a basic upgrade, not a major change as hinted.

Jigger

Quote from: Radioboy104 on August 02, 2012, 12:45:12 PM
Crashes within seconds of trying to do anything manually. No use whatsoever for community/public broadcasters - no voice track options (which some cheaper playout systems provide!), no decent scheduling that doesn't require laborious manual insertion of text lines in a template.

Overall, for a "here in November, no... it will be here later, no it will be here June/July but really on August 2", I am extremely disappointed and can't believe that I fell for the hype and delayed buying a playout system for many months for what seems to be just a basic upgrade, not a major change as hinted.

It seems you haven't read the posts from Adam & Steve about radio feature that will be with you shortly, but judging by your post you don't agree with it being a major change it really is, and things needed changing before some features can be implemented,
Remember you can't get to moon with out a rocket, someone has to first get the basics right then explore the moon or other planets.
I am sorry you are disappointed but I am sure the new features will be welcome when they come, and before you say it it shouldn't be that long hopefully.
Ron
PDI PAAA-BE42 x 2 OtsAV Pro
PDI PBQ4-BH3P x 1 OtsAV Pro

Radioboy104

Quote from: Jigger on August 02, 2012, 01:03:54 PM
It seems you haven't read the posts from Adam & Steve about radio feature that will be with you shortly, but judging by your post you don't agree with it being a major change it really is, and things needed changing before some features can be implemented,
Remember you can't get to moon with out a rocket, someone has to first get the basics right then explore the moon or other planets.
I am sorry you are disappointed but I am sure the new features will be welcome when they come, and before you say it it shouldn't be that long hopefully.
I did read it, but we all know how long it took for 1.90 to be released, plenty of time to implement all the planned features I would have thought. I think we've waited long enough for something more functional than 1.85 (for the record I did like 1.85 very much minus the lack of decent scheduling and no voice track option - which I see will still be an issue in 1.90).

Jumpin' Jeff

If you can program, perhaps you should create something yourself to suit your needs. Let's see how long it takes you to get it done right. :)

If you can't program, then maybe, you should be a little more sympathetic towards Ots, and allow them to complete the software before you criticize them.

My point is that if you think it's so easy to do, do it yourself, or quit naggin'.  If you were in their shoes, you'd look at things a whole lot differently than you do now.
Jeff Main

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time. 
Abraham Lincoln

OtsAV license holder for life.
PDI: OtsAV TV Broadcaster PARC-KHY7

Gar Lark See

Quote from: Artist formerly known as 'Jumpin' Jeff' on August 02, 2012, 01:27:36 PM
If you can program, perhaps you should create something yourself to suit your needs. Let's see how long it takes you to get it done right. :)

If you can't program, then maybe, you should be a little more sympathetic towards Ots, and allow them to complete the software before you criticize them.

My point is that if you think it's so easy to do, do it yourself, or quit naggin'.  If you were in their shoes, you'd look at things a whole lot differently than you do now.

This is a great post.

I run a software development company here in the UK. Not directly in the same market as Ots but not a million miles away.

Fundamentally...bottom line...these guys run a business. And their primary goal - ignore any missions - is to make money. Mission statements matter...but with no money there's no business and then there is no mission either!

I'm far from privy to how Ots do their research...but I know how we do ours. And sometimes, well, most times when you release a product some people hate it, every time. Guaranteed. ACTUALLY they think they hate it...but all they really hate is change.

Unfortunately businesses have to make decisions that change products in order to continually target new markets and engage the business forward. It's hard: no business wants to alienate existing customers but fundamentally a healthy business needs to grow. Here's the killer...existing customers are existing customers because they liked the product up to now; new customers like the product because of where it is now and where it will go. A business has to be smart: smart with technology, smart with products and smart with money.

Now, I bought Ots years ago and I think I paid less then £50! That's ridiculous. We retail our software at work at £199 at the cheapest and right up to £5000 at the top. If I had spent £5k on an app and that app suddenly changed without notice then I would be apprehensive. But in this case, I paid £50 max for Ots, I use version 1.85 and it does EXACTLY what I need it to do. I've very little right to say that this new version is crap and demand that the guys abandon their work and go back to a 1.85 feel. For £50? From 10 years ago? No, not a chance. I'm using a great tool, irregardless of version and it does just the job I need.

I know some people are angry over the release...and dealing with customers at work directly I know how you feel. But at the same time I love what I have so far in this application: if I didn't then I would be looking elsewhere for apps (or writing my own LOL!). I would seriously recommend from personal experience that anyone hating it give it a chance for a month or so...and see how you feel. Remember: nobody knows where the software will go...but to go ANYWHERE near where you want it to go it needs to have a strong business behind it. And that's the key.

I'm off for a play with the new one!

G

MusicmadUK

Love the way you can drag and drop onto the video monitors :)

dickus51

Well said G. I am to a happy user and glad for all new things coming up thogh it is a pain sometimes to learn all the gimmics.  :thumbsup:
Dick
OtsAV Dj Pro-Classic+ x 2
OtsAV Broadcaster
PDI: PA6A-SM62 | PAD3-HXAB | PAM7-8TM9  :thumb: