UPS Units

Started by JD The DJ, June 21, 2007, 05:04:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD The DJ

Does anyone use UPS power stablizer, or similar units when you play out. Before I started using one, on occasion I might get a glitch, mainly the sound card would quit on one channel, or quit alltogether. One time I lost the headphone feed from it. A reboot would correct any problem. Fortunately they were few and far between. Since I started plugging the computer into a UPS, I haven't had a hint of a problem.

Jumpin' Jeff

I'm about to purchase my third unit.
first one was a small unit, and the battery gave out after nearly 5 years of use. My current one is showing signs of battery failure as well at about 5 years. It's a bit heavier model than the first, at 1000VA compared to 220VA. My next one will be about this same size, as I've found it quite adaquate. Perhaps a little larger just to address the potential heavier loads with faster, more powerful PC, and an additional monitor. Perhaps a 1200VA model.

Can't say I've ever really ran into problems, as I've always carried a UPS with my PC systems.
Jeff Main

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time. 
Abraham Lincoln

OtsAV license holder for life.
PDI: OtsAV TV Broadcaster PARC-KHY7

Jammin' Adam

A UPS on any PC is the only way to go, it don't have to be a huge one that can run your PC for a long time but at least enough to give 5 or more minutes of run time so you can safely power down the system in the event of a brownout or total power failure. There is nothing worse than having the PC go down because of a quick off-on condition in the power line, and if your writing files at the time it happens that may be a disaster waiting to happen.
Just an ordinary average guy, who built an ordinary average computer, and uses it to play some ordinary average music, using a very extraordinary and extremely above average software called OtsAV. Which gives an ordinary average person, some extraordinary and  better than average multimedia enjoyment, to supplement an otherwise ordinary average lifestyle.

OtsAV PDI's:
PAAA-BGGD | PBSB-FQ1N | PA31-FB5V

milky

Quote from: Jumpin' Jeff;93992I'm about to purchase my third unit.
first one was a small unit, and the battery gave out after nearly 5 years of use. My current one is showing signs of battery failure as well at about 5 years.

Most "brand names" have replacement SLA batteries, and there's a company over here that has generic Panasonic batteries that will fit just about anything on the market. I bought a replacement battery for my APC BackUPS Pro for AU$70 - much cheaper than replacing the whole unit.
OtsDJ           PDI = PAAA-BHVP,  PBQN-3658
S & L               PDI = PAAA-BK27 x 2
Studio             PDI = PAAA-BL38

Mainesmixx

I have a few 1000 smartups APC units that run my station here that last about 2hrs on battery,  i have lost power serveral times during winter and summer times from 30 to 1hr 30mins ish mostly about 1hr though which the ups handle just fine and the batteries usually last about 4 years...   APC 1000Smart ups  i also have  serveral Smartups 700 for router/phone/etc units

Mainesmixx
80's HitMachine
Maines
Mainesmixx.com
80s Hit Machine
Maine, USA

Dr.J

Ditto, APC UPS here (BX1000 model and newer). I've got 2 units and installed another 3 units. They are great not only for the battery backup but also because the have AVR (automatic voltage regulation) built-in. This prevents the more common brown-out (at least more common in rural areas) from damaging your electronics. Definitely recommended for mobile DJ use, as you never know what kind of power quality issues you may run into.

Jumpin' Jeff

Well I didn't post my brand, but it too is an APC... I think an XS1000

If I decide it's large enough, I will replace just the battery milky, but If I decide I need to upgrade, then I'll need to purchase a new model.
Jeff Main

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time. 
Abraham Lincoln

Jumpin' Jeff

Decided to purchase a new unit.
Went from a 2 space XS 1000, to this...
http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BX1300LCD.
Includes a nice display that tells me power consumption, line voltage, time remaining, and a few more stats.

During normal load, I'm using less than 200 watts. Thought it would be more, but I have about 30 minutes runtime with this as it sits.

$160 at Best Buy.

Although a bit heavier, it's design fits a bit better in my rack.
Jeff Main

Abraham Lincoln

Apnea53

Ditto here for APC.  There is no substitute.
Ken Carter
PDI=PAAA-BLFS
djkc53@gmail.com
[/SIZE]