Do You Want it Fast or Do You Want it Right?

Started by Jumpin' Jeff, January 11, 2006, 07:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr.J

Quote from: Moogvo on July 16, 2008, 12:12:21 PM
I have also replaced the Windows Explorer shell with Aston. It runs with a very small footprint, and is infinately customizable. You can find out the details at www.astonshell.com. The trial version works forever, or if you want more than 10 desktop icons, the fare is $30.00. A small price to pay for the dependability it brings to the table!

You can also run a custom made shell, or OtsAV itself as a shell. I've made a custom shell with AutoHotkey and just saved it as an .exe file. It has just the basic functions and uses barely any memory.

stosostu

I have a sign in my workshop:

You can have your repair:

1. Good

2. Quick

3. Cheap

Pick any two, because:

A good, quick repair won't be cheap,

A cheap, quick repair won't be good, and

A good, cheap repair won't be quick.
The Road Goes On Forever and the Party Never Ends

krzyd

I'm just here for the EDARGPU. Ots user since sometime in 2000!

JohnnyTheFox

Here we go again...............

It will be here, when it's here!
OtsAV DJ Pro-Classic+ [with free upgrades to 2.0] - PDI:PBH1-543J - 2 licenses
OtsAV TV Broadcaster - PDI:PB2Y-JZR1
OtsAV Radio Broadcaster - PDI:PAPE-H3HR
OtsAV Radio Webcaster - PDI:PBPK-TP67
OtsTurntables Silver - PDI:PA3C-KLZY

'The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine' - Abraham Lincoln

Lane

huh? it's already here. I got a pink one!

we're talking about ipod nano's right?
It's all just programming :P

moodymedia

AtlanticSoundDisco

:thumbsup:

I do not post on here often, but today ive had a realy interesting email from Numark, ive seen the all in one controller they released a few months ago, but now they are shipping single units, see link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=menCJNMKnks  why is ots not catching up with these guys, ive used such software and its pretty amazing, i feel we are seriously lagging behind now in the case of control and features, where the others are going forward faster and faster, and before anyone starts flaming, it would be worth mentioning that this software is being used in top radio stations here in the uk, something they would not do if it was unstable.

Tim.

thebigmg

I don't like to be a killjoy here, I know there are many people who run ots and will fight its corner to the end, I have been one of them.

I have worked in professional radio as a presenter and a programme controller and I have come out the other side.

I have used ots and its has some great features and its very stable, I have recommended it to many people!

I love it but I am sorry to say I have had this software for probably going on 8 years maybe more and on the radio side there has been very little improvement since the day I bought it.

I think OTS are trying to be everything for everybody and its becoming a failure of its own success.

OTS DJ
OTS Radio
OTS AV
OTS TV

What next? OTS Airline Audio? Surely it would be a nice idea to just start one product and finish it successfully before moving onto something else which again is only half finished.

I am all for waiting but I have done party's with OTS, I have done radio with OTS but there has been very little improvement on the radio side.

I know I will be slated here, I have seen someone try to have a constructive conversation about it but has been shot down by OTS Fanatics who won't have anything bad said about the product and the same will happen here with my comments.

OTS is an amazing product, the updates when they come are stable, in short I love it like you guys but its not cutting the mustard with the updates that radio needs. The dedication has gone on OTS TV/AV etc... so maybe they should stick to that and ditch the radio sales pitch and sort one before starting another?

I would like intellegent responses to my post rather than silly responses, I am not here to OTS bash I just think they need to concentrate on one part of the business if they can't deliver on another.

8 years is a long time and I have really come out the other side of radio now and didnt get any updates that made any difference to the way I scheduled. So many things have been suggested and I don't see many things implemented. Its a real shame. I know you people who work the clubs love it and the AV has been good for you. It just needs updates in equal messure and that doesn't appear to happen.

OK**** FIRE!

Darryl

I think many of the other radio people on this forum will agree with you, not slate you.

It's not functionaly perfect in any market sector - club DJs all want the spinning vynil feel platters, the likes of the Numark NS7 and Denon CDJ800 devices have.  Radio guys are screaming for voice tracking.  Karaoke jocks want the software to manage singer rotation.

It is however fair to say that what Ots Labs have done - they have done well.  For me, the lack of certain functionality isn't a problem (because if I want it badly enough I'll either buy some other product or work out a way of getting OtsAV to do it with some scripting or a helper application).  I can see that the lack of some functionality (particularly voice tracking) will be crucial to some radio stations.

All we can do is keep the pressure on Ots Labs to deliver something splendid - which I am confident that they will, but goodness knows when.

If you feel better having a rant (not that you did - others have in the past though) on this forum, I say go for it (as long as you understand the rules of the forum - like not making it personal or rude).

Now I'll run to a safe distance and see who starts shooting at both of us!

Have fun,
Darryl.
OtsAV: PDI PAAA-BFDR

Version 3.0.8.0 of the Karaoke Hoster is available now - http://sourceforge.net/projects/karaokehoster

Checkout my CDG Editor - repair badly ripped CDG Karaoke files with ease: http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdgeditor/

Now Playing in OtsAV - https://sourceforge.net/projects/nowplayinginots/ - Show your Windows Live Messenger contacts what you are listening to in OtsAV.

Jigger

I agree with Darryl, nothing wrong with a sensible post,it has been said before only Ots know what they are doing, you never know you may be surprised, it would be nice to get the features you want for radio, I know you have waited a long time, lets hope your wishes are fulfilled sooner rather than later.
Ron
PDI PAAA-BE42 x 2 OtsAV Pro
PDI PBQ4-BH3P x 1 OtsAV Pro

Lane

I think the source of angst over not getting what you want from updates is probably because when they code something up, it's pretty darn good/stable and all that. If they did a feature you needed, you know it will be extremely reliable.

The Ots folks do what they do, and it either works for you or it doesn't. I have my own concerns with voice tracking etc. worked out another way. I eventually got to the point where I couldn't wait any longer. Such is business.
It's all just programming :P

mel garland

I love OTSAV as it is cos it does what I want with no problems.  I'm not a club DJ, Karaoke Jock, radio DJ, or a TV Station but just a drop play presenter and interact with the crowd kind of presenter, I must be doing something right cos I'm always busy.  Would I like to beat mix like a club DJ you bet I would but I cant get my head around ABM with selecting/editing etc.  why can't I just have a button to press at the point I want to mix like some controllers have?

10 years ago OTS had one of the best DJ programmes out there that, in my opinion, and beat its competetors hands down but they decided to branch out into different ventures and in my mind took their eye off the DJ market which have now left us a long way behind.  Only the people at OTS headquarters know what they are doing, but won't keep us informed about any progress, which they are  in their rights to do, but just a little word here and now on what they are doing would go along way. 

Melvyn
Melvyn
Tiverton, Devon, Uk
PAAA BKBK

nextgen1

I guess for me the part that bothers me is when they said at the last upgrade. Now that we changed the code we should be able to come out with upgrades quicker. And guess what? It's heading on a year again.  :wowza:

scott hanna

Quote from: nextgen1 on October 30, 2010, 05:30:47 AM
I guess for me the part that bothers me is when they said at the last upgrade. Now that we changed the code we should be able to come out with upgrades quicker. And guess what? It's heading on a year again.  :wowza:

I was kind of excited last year when that came out.  I am a gadget freak and love new toys, love new technology,  so when they announced that, it seemed great that updates will be coming at a more frequent pace.  As we see, it's not to be.  The karaoke plug in came out before the 1st generation iphone and it still has not been finished.

However, I have a license to another dj software that seems to come out with new updates all the time.  Really cool ones.  Problem is every time they do, there is pages and pages of people with issues that need to be resolved.  Which is why that software never gets used at a wedding.

So would I like it faster?  Absolutely.  But I do count on OTS to release something extremely stable.  So, as of right now, it's still worth the painfully slow, snail like, slower than molasses, wait.
Scott Hanna
PBXS-JHBZ, PASB-3WXR, PAHZ-AMGR, PAGA-6HLJ

2 ots silver, 1 ots pro, 1 extra studio, karaoke

Lou D

Dittos on every word, Scott!
BTW... Are you following me? Our paths cross often in cyberspace.

We and other Bose L1 owners have a similar experience with Bose. Bose started hinting about a new or upgraded T1 mixer, some time back. They even asked (Nov 09) what we (DJ's) would want in such a product but nothing has been mentioned since. That said, Bose provides stellar service and tech assistance.

Lou D