Artist Chunk

Started by CDSoundzDJ, April 04, 2004, 12:43:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CDSoundzDJ

I have read the help for Ots Studio, but wanted to get others take on this topic.

When creating the Artist Chunk for a Track with more than one Artist, how do you enter it?  I am already aware that you can create a separate line for each Artist the true question is when do you choose to do this?  Let me give a few examples to be clear.

Song Title:  My Maria
Artists:  Brooks & Dunn

So in this case do you leave the artist on one line or separate Brooks on one line Dunn on the other?

Song Title:  Boom
Artists:  Jolie & The Wanted

Song Title:  It's Your Love
Artists:  Tim McGraw featuring Faith Hill

Song Title:  Get Low
Artists:  Lil John & The East Side Boyz featuring Ying Yang Twins

Song Title:  The Truth About Men
Artists:  Tracy Byrd & Andy Griggs, Montgomery Gentry, & Blake Shelton

Song Title:  Don't Fall In Love With A Dreamer
Artists:  Kenny Rogers with Kim Carnes

Perhaps you may generalize for me that whenever there is the word WITH or FEATURING or in some cases AND or & I should create a separate line with that Artist's name.  I am sure there is not right or wrong way to do this just a preference and the reason for my post, which is to get others preferences.  Then again, perhaps this does play a key role for searching within OTS.   :unsure:

FYI, I am in the process of cleaning up my library so I can burn it to DVD-R for safekeeping abd want it to be as pristine as it can be.

Thanks!

Jumpin' Jeff

Song Title: My Maria
Artists: Brooks & Dunn

Brooks
Dunn

Song Title: Boom
Artists: Jolie & The Wanted

Jolie
Wanted

Song Title: It's Your Love
Artists: Tim McGraw featuring Faith Hill

Tim Mcgraw
Faith Hill

Song Title: Get Low
Artists: Lil John & The East Side Boyz featuring Ying Yang Twins

Lil John
East Side Boyz
Ying Yang Twins

Song Title: The Truth About Men
Artists: Tracy Byrd & Andy Griggs, Montgomery Gentry, & Blake Shelton

Tracy Byrd
Andy Griggs
Mongomery Gentry
Blake Shelton

Song Title: Don't Fall In Love With A Dreamer
Artists: Kenny Rogers with Kim Carnes

Kenny Rogers
Kim Carnes

That's how I currently would handle these.
Jeff Main

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time. 
Abraham Lincoln

OtsAV license holder for life.
PDI: OtsAV TV Broadcaster PARC-KHY7

CDSoundzDJ

So if I follow you correctly you are simply leaving out "And", "Featuring" and "With" - correct?

I guess the big thing is to be consistent in what ever you do.

Thanks Jeff.

milky

I slightly disagree with JJ's approach, althogh this would work OK.
To me, Brook & Dunn IS the artist. To my knowledge, they have never recorded separately, whereas Kenny Rogers and Kim Carnes have recorded in their own right.

What you have to do is try and think like the Ots Template builder. When it it attempting to separate track/artist it "looks" at the playlist and compares the track it want to add to the list to what it finds in the playlist. If the track it was adding was by Brooks & Dunn, it would ignore anything by any artist called "Brooks" and any artists called "Dunn".

However, if you had a Kenny Rogers solo track and you had their duet set up as "Kenny Rogers & Kim Carnes", it would not see that as a match and so COULD add the duet just after the solo. By placing the artists on separate lines, the template builder would accurately match on each individual artist.
OtsDJ           PDI = PAAA-BHVP,  PBQN-3658
S & L               PDI = PAAA-BK27 x 2
Studio             PDI = PAAA-BL38

CDSoundzDJ

Milky,

I was thinking the same thing about some of the &'s.  Like "Jolie & The Wanted", Jolie is the lead singer however I am not sure if she has ever recorded without her band "the wanted".  Another great example is Bob Seger and his famous Silver Bullet Band.  Again it is a judgement call on some of these entries.  I am not sure there is a right or wrong way to handle the Arist Chunk, which is wht I was looking to get others preferences and why I asked.

Being a mobile I am not sure the scheduling is a concern as I do not use it.

I thank both of you for your input.

Jumpin' Jeff

The problem I see is that if Brooks and Dunn ever did break up, then I would need to modify all my previous tracks to reflect this. This way I'm prepared, and they are still listed as "Brooks & Dunn" in the artist info.

I had a tough time making that decision, but it is the way I am going forward.
Jeff Main

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time. 
Abraham Lincoln

milky

I think the example Ots Corp give is a guide.
John Mellencamp used various names (John Cougar, John Cougar Mellencamp etc) and it is important in radio at least not to accidentally run tracks back-to-back, so all his names would have to be listed on separate lines to avoid this.

We have an artist over here called Jimmy Barnes. He sings solo, but has also appeared in the band Cold Chisel and several others, so any time I list a Cold Chisel track, I include Jimmy on the next line as a separate artist so I don't get one of the band's tracks followed by one of his.

Jigger

I go along with Milky on this. Take for example Genisis and Phil Collins you can have two tracks one by Genisis and one By Phil Collins that can sound very similar you wouldn't want to play them back to back.
Ron
PDI PAAA-BE42 x 2 OtsAV Pro
PDI PBQ4-BH3P x 1 OtsAV Pro

Dr.J

I list Brooks & Dunn as:

Brooks & Dunn

Now if you want to get technical you should list it as:

Brooks & Dunn
Kix Brooks
Ronnie Dunn

This way if they ever do break up they will be using their full names and you will already have them listed for these songs. Currently OtsDJ doesn't use anything after the "." for scheduling, but they will in the future.

Jumpin' Jeff

Revisiting this topic now As I see it being viewed, and thought I'd see what the reactions are now that Brooks & Dunn have broken up.

To my knowledge, they haven't done any solo work, but they have officially broken up.

Do you guys still feel the same way?
Jeff Main

Abraham Lincoln

Vinny H

I'm hoping the new version of Ots will utilize the period in the artist chunk. 
PDI
OtsAV Pro: PB7M-25XN

milky

Quote from: Artist formerly known as 'Jumpin' Jeff' on October 03, 2011, 11:53:41 AM
Revisiting this topic now As I see it being viewed, and thought I'd see what the reactions are now that Brooks & Dunn have broken up.

To my knowledge, they haven't done any solo work, but they have officially broken up.

Do you guys still feel the same way?

There have been many duos and groups who have split up and eventually made solo careers. However, their professional duo or band name still sticks for the work that was recorded under that name.
The Beatles' body of work as a band is still marketed under the Beatles name, not
John Lennon.
Paul Mcartney.
George Harrison.
Ringo Starr.

Jumpin' Jeff

Not sure why I asked in the first place now....
Jeff Main

Abraham Lincoln