Just an observation...

Started by DJ_Zath, February 27, 2022, 10:22:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJ_Zath

Just an observation...

I have been trying to help others and give useful advice over the recent weeks/months/years... yet, I noticed that I have a "help score" of ZERO

I also noticed that I have never seemed to have "advanced" in any rankings whatsoever...

its just an observation- a curiosity...  I just wondered whats up and/or why this is...  (perhaps its a punishment of some sort?)

-DjZ-

PDIs:   PAAA-BGP9   PAAA-BL3V  PANT-JZNN

WARP Radio Network

for Audio Feeds:   https://www.warp-radio.com
for Video feed:     https://www.warp-radio.tv/

Twitch:                https://twitch.tv/warp_hd
Dlive:                  https://dlive.tv/warp_radio

Live Chat:            https://irc.warp-radio.com

Have Alexa?  You can listen to WARP Radio with it! (100% FREE, NO skills, modules or downloads required!)  Simply say: "Alexa, play the station WARP Radio" and you're in!

Jigger

I am sure its not punishment Zath, I can't remember how the ratings work anyway, I know you and many others have always been helpful.
Ron
PDI PAAA-BE42 x 2 OtsAV Pro
PDI PBQ4-BH3P x 1 OtsAV Pro

socialdancer

AFAIK the membership rating is automatically applied based on the number of posts.
With 94 posts you've earned two stars.  I don't know what the next threshold is, maybe 100  :D

The HELP score needs people to acknowledge the help by clicking on [Helped Me] in your profile.
That does not seem to be widely known, or people don't bother, either way consider yourself lucky if the score goes up.

milky

Quote from: DJ_Zath on February 27, 2022, 10:22:07 PM
Just an observation...

I have been trying to help others and give useful advice over the recent weeks/months/years... yet, I noticed that I have a "help score" of ZERO

I also noticed that I have never seemed to have "advanced" in any rankings whatsoever...

its just an observation- a curiosity...  I just wondered whats up and/or why this is...  (perhaps its a punishment of some sort?)

Since Jeff left the forum, virtually NO maintenance of any sort has been carried out. We are grateful to Lane for continuing hosting the site, but neither he, nor any of the other admins have the time or inclination to spend time handing out awards to those who help.

Personally, I've never looked at that figure, despite many thousands of posts over the past 22 years, but we are ALWAYS grateful for the input from you and any other members. That was the very reason Jeff created the forum in the first place.

OtsDJ           PDI = PAAA-BHVP,  PBQN-3658
S & L               PDI = PAAA-BK27 x 2
Studio             PDI = PAAA-BL38

Kev

I've also not paid much attention to stars or help scores, more so just pleased to still be here after so long.

SMF is showing it is due an upgrade though, the board runs on 1.x and 2.1.1 is available. I wonder when Lane last checked in and if he plans to edargpu the forum software.
Kev

2 x PAZ7-DRKW, 1 x PBZ8-D3Q9 & 1 x PAGD-CMWW

Jigger

You have to ask if its worth upgrading the software for the forum with so little traffic. Lane has done a brilliant job over the years for no reward.
Ron
PDI PAAA-BE42 x 2 OtsAV Pro
PDI PBQ4-BH3P x 1 OtsAV Pro

Kev

I just worry that it could become vulnerable to a hack and we could lose our little place online. I'd be happy to take over the baton if required. I've dropped Lane a message about the site and domain as it expires in May.
Kev

2 x PAZ7-DRKW, 1 x PBZ8-D3Q9 & 1 x PAGD-CMWW

socialdancer

It would certainly be a shame to lose such a valuable historical resource.
Yes there may be some vulnerabilities in the older software, but upgrading is not without its risks, and would not be trivial, a bit like going straight from XP to Win11.

PHP and SQL would most likely also need updating, assuming that fits with the server or hosting options.

Willing to help if needed, but I generally think "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

milky

I agree. However, it comes down to the degree of usefulness this forum is, versus the effort and cost to keep it going.

Apparently, there is a Facebook equivalent of this forum, which is frequented oftener by the developers than here. I wouldn't know, because, as a professional person on several levels, I don't "do" social media.   
OtsDJ           PDI = PAAA-BHVP,  PBQN-3658
S & L               PDI = PAAA-BK27 x 2
Studio             PDI = PAAA-BL38

OxDJ_Dave

I've only just re-found this forum after years of not using it, and it's already given me more value than ever.

I've used OTS as my main playout for DJing both live and small-scale radio since first downloading a copy in 1997 - what a year that was!

Kev - If you are looking to host it, then great.  If not, I have a fair amount of resources available on my web server too and would happily carry the site for a couple of years.  I'd even try to help upgrade the forum version as I used to run a myPHPBB site as well.  SMF isn't all that different in terms of how it works.
Proud to be an OTS user since 1997
PAAA-BHHV
PAXJ-89JY

Lane

I'll chime in to say we don't require new hosting, and automated backups run to keep all the content here safe. We're good.
It's all just programming :P

socialdancer

Quote from: milky on March 05, 2022, 10:57:12 AM

Apparently, there is a Facebook equivalent of this forum, which is frequented oftener by the developers than here. I wouldn't know, because, as a professional person on several levels, I don't "do" social media.   

I don't do social media either, but I did peek through the curtains at the FB page.  It appears to have been comandeered by two people, an admin and a mod, who decided that as things had gone quiet they would flood the page with postings of music videos from Youtube.  They then changed the rules to make that OK and now threaten to ban anyone who objects!  :ohmy:

Hooray for this forum!  :thumbsup: