Goodbye, Farewell and Amen

Started by milky, November 14, 2019, 02:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milky

Happy Birthday Anniversary for the 3rd, Adam, and thank you again for your best wishes.
OtsDJ           PDI = PAAA-BHVP,  PBQN-3658
S & L               PDI = PAAA-BK27 x 2
Studio             PDI = PAAA-BL38

scott hanna

Best of luck. Thanks for all of your help to date
Scott Hanna
PBXS-JHBZ, PASB-3WXR, PAHZ-AMGR, PAGA-6HLJ

2 ots silver, 1 ots pro, 1 extra studio, karaoke

clover-leaf-productions

I feel like an expectant parent all over again; and it's been many years since I did that pacing ritual.

I've got all of my fingers, and toes crossed for our friend the good doctor, and some good news that should be coming his way from his doctors! :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Brian
Dayton, Ohio, USA

www.clover-leaf-productions.com

milky

Hi All. Just a quick note via my phone to let you know that the procedure went very well and I am in recovery. This will take up to Xmas as I learn to speak, eat swallow and all those things we mostly take for granted. I'll post much more details when I can get to a real PC. Forum software is not very smartphone friendly.

mixfm

Good to hear from you Milky. It sounds like the procedure went as planned.

I hope you're able to take it easy over the next few weeks as you re-learn those skills that - as you put - we mostly just take for granted.  I hope the prognosis is positive from here onwards.

clover-leaf-productions

Well Done my Friend!

Now your prescription is simple; let those caring hospital types do their job, and take good car of you.  They will help you along your path to recovery.

You have been there for so many years helping others through difficult times.  It is part of your giving nature.  Now you have to learn to be a gracious accepter of care.  Your road will seem at an end before you realize it.  You will be felling more like your old self, back at home with the grape orchard, and enjoying some well earned relaxation. :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Brian
Dayton, Ohio, USA

Jammin' Adam

Good to read! Very glad things went well, didn't do too much on the birth anniversary, other than work and hope things were going good with you.
Just an ordinary average guy, who built an ordinary average computer, and uses it to play some ordinary average music, using a very extraordinary and extremely above average software called OtsAV. Which gives an ordinary average person, some extraordinary and  better than average multimedia enjoyment, to supplement an otherwise ordinary average lifestyle.

OtsAV PDI's:
PAAA-BGGD | PBSB-FQ1N | PA31-FB5V

milky

Hi guys. I finally got my laptop set up at my sister's, so can tell the story on a screen that works a whole lot better than a smartphone.

The operation was officially called a "partial glossectomy + bilateral neck dissection + tracheostomy + dental extraction + left radial forearm anterior tongue exophytic lesion". In layman's terms, they cut the entire left side of my tongue off (which contained the Squamous Cell Carcinoma), from the centre line. They then excised a chunk of my left wrist just where you would normally take a patient's pulse. This was important, because thy needed the arteries for the graft.

The flap was then grafted onto the tongue and shaped to form a rudimentary replacement, the arteries were micro sewn and the two halved joined. Then some skin was harvested from my thigh and grafted over the donor area.

Along the way 12 "chewing teeth" were also removed, although perfectly healthy. This is in preparation for the radiology which may be necessary to ensure all cells are completely eradicated. All I have left are the "biting teeth" at the front.

The operation was a complete success, the graft took well (they had two little Doppler sensors attached to my neck so that they could hear the blood coursing through the newly attached arteries). Because they anticipated that the tongue and graft would swell in my mouth, making breathing impossible, they performed a tracheotomy and I breathed through that until it was removed 8 days later. I am now waiting for the hole to heal over, so meanwhile, I have to press a dressing against the hole to speak or cough.

The prognosis is good, although I won't get the official verdict on that until 23rd, after all contributing surgeons have met and agreed on post-op management. The voice is still strong, but, sadly, I will probably always talk with a Donald Duck type lisp. This may improve as the nerves in the flap meet up with the remaining tongue nerves and it starts to react as a whole unit.

I am actually part of the way through exams to the Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, and I am in awe of the skills of the team who worked on me and can't thank them enough. I'll keep you updated as the journey unravels.

Jigger

That is excellent news Milky and as always impressed with your ability to explain the procedure. Keep doing well we are all with you.
Ron
PDI PAAA-BE42 x 2 OtsAV Pro
PDI PBQ4-BH3P x 1 OtsAV Pro

clover-leaf-productions

.... And as the finest dog trainers say, "HEAL!"   :laugh:
Cheers,
Brian
Dayton, Ohio, USA

Jammin' Adam

My B/D thought's were positive! Very happy the procedure went well for you Milky, take care and get healed.
Just an ordinary average guy, who built an ordinary average computer, and uses it to play some ordinary average music, using a very extraordinary and extremely above average software called OtsAV. Which gives an ordinary average person, some extraordinary and  better than average multimedia enjoyment, to supplement an otherwise ordinary average lifestyle.

OtsAV PDI's:
PAAA-BGGD | PBSB-FQ1N | PA31-FB5V

Dr.J

Great news! Glad you are on the road to recovery. Thanks for the explanation of the operation. I'm in awe of those performing small miracles. Best wishes for you and a speedy recovery.

Jumpin' Jeff

Glad to hear your still with us Milky! Sounds like it was pretty serious, but glad you are in good spirits, and recovering well!Merry Christmas to you friend, and wishing you a much happier/healthier new year!
Jeff Main

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time. 
Abraham Lincoln

OtsAV license holder for life.
PDI: OtsAV TV Broadcaster PARC-KHY7

Tim Gainer

God, James - SO glad to hear all went well. Major surgeries are always a hard road back but you sound like you're flying through it with vigor. Keep fighting the good fight. I have a feeling we'll be hearing your dulcet tones again before long. Still praying and sending positive vibes to you. give 'em hell!!  :thumbsup:
Ots Radio Broadcaster 1.94
PDI=PB5E-FGPP
Ots DJPro 1.94
PDI=PBN6-ZLTL
Ots DJPro 1.90
PDI=PBXH-PNK9

If music is the food of the soul, then play on...

:aGuitar:

milky

Two weeks into a 5 week stint of radiation treatment. It's draining, and leaves the local area somewhat "toasted", but I feel fine otherwise.

I'm still meditating the ****** off this thing, so we should have a good prognosis.