Goodbye, Farewell and Amen

Started by milky, November 14, 2019, 02:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milky

The subject line is (hopefully) a little premature, but, I have to announce that I am going into hospital for some very major surgery. It will entail the removal of a large part of my tongue, several throat lymph nodes and all of the connected nerves around the area. Ultimately, I will also lose the teeth that I have nurtured and preserved for 70 years.
In place of the tongue, the surgeons will graft a piece of tissue from my wrist, reducing the functionality my left hand. The nerves that allow me to raise my left arm above shoulder height will be destroyed.

Those of you who know me will also know that I am a musician who plays keyboards and numerous stringed instruments, so the loss of that functionality alone is devastating. I have also worked in radio and voiced many, many commercials, so the loss of a tongue will severely inhibit those options.

With M*A*S*H, the actors lived on, as will I, but I will need to evaluate my future in a different light.

Serving on and contributing to this forum has been a large part of my life for a very long time - something like twenty years. I will continue to use Ots, and so, I may be able to provide advice to others into the future, and I look forward to that.  I don't know what the future holds. None of us do. I just hope that I can use what skills I have for as long as I can to make others' lives better.

This news hit me in the middle of one of the worst fire seasons we have ever experienced in eastern Australia. I am flat out, counselling weary firefighters who feel they have let people down because they couldn't save their home, yet who have given their all to keep the inferno contained. I have comforted those who have lost everything, administered medical aid to the injured and burned and, yes, as an MD, pronounced two people dead and signed their death certificates.

Sometimes, "Goodbye, Farewell and Amen" would be a good epitaph, but, I am made of sterner stuff. Watch this space.
OtsDJ           PDI = PAAA-BHVP,  PBQN-3658
S & L               PDI = PAAA-BK27 x 2
Studio             PDI = PAAA-BL38

Jumpin' Jeff

James, I am so sorry to hear this. I know last time we spoke, you had some concerns you were battling. Obviously things have gotten more serious. Very unfortunate!

You are in my thoughts!
Jeff Main

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time. 
Abraham Lincoln

OtsAV license holder for life.
PDI: OtsAV TV Broadcaster PARC-KHY7

mixfm

Hi Milky,

Your name is familiar to me from my time in these forums over the years; not as extensive as your time here but from around 2003 onwards nonetheless.  I recall quite a number of times having joined you, or you having joined me in the same thread to assist fellow Ots users with various queries.  Sometimes we end up giving similar advice, and other times our solutions achieve the same outcome but are approached in completely different ways.

Particularly in my early years in these forums I remember being super keen to be the first to help a user with a particular query, and I remember wanting to "race" you to it, because I noticed that you would also reply to queries very quickly. "If I don't type my reply quickly Milky will beat me to it" was what I remember thinking on many occasions :-)

All the best Milky, and although life for you will be quite different after the operation in the ways that you have explained, I do hope that things go as well as they can, and hope to see you kicking around these parts of the Interwebs once again.

From across the ditch, Ka Kite Ano.

Edwin (Mix FM)

socialdancer

OMG! What can we say?

You sound incredibly positive.  Probably your background and training contributes to that but I'm sure it will help pull you through what is to come.  You're far too valuable for it not to.

I'm keeping everything crossed and thinking of you...

Howard

Dr.J

Milky,

I hope all goes as well as possible with the forthcoming surgeries and pending recovery. Although I only know you through the posts on this site, you are one of the most resilient individuals I know (Doctor, Firefighter, Therapist, et al.). It's been an honour to share these message boards with you for the past 20 years and I look forward to your posts for many years to come.

Take care my friend.

Jigger

Milky my hope and thoughts are with you, I think we have been on this forum about the same amount of time. I also know the amount of work you do away from this forum supporting people through trying times. I look forward to more posts from you after the surgery.
We are thousands of miles apart but we are with you.
Ron
PDI PAAA-BE42 x 2 OtsAV Pro
PDI PBQ4-BH3P x 1 OtsAV Pro

Jammin' Adam

Very saddened to read this, I wish you all the best and will pray for very, very positive results for you James. Good luck my friend.
Just an ordinary average guy, who built an ordinary average computer, and uses it to play some ordinary average music, using a very extraordinary and extremely above average software called OtsAV. Which gives an ordinary average person, some extraordinary and  better than average multimedia enjoyment, to supplement an otherwise ordinary average lifestyle.

OtsAV PDI's:
PAAA-BGGD | PBSB-FQ1N | PA31-FB5V

Tim Gainer

Holy crap, dude!

:ohmy:

SO sorry to hear about this. You have been a fixture of this forum and a supporter of and for so many of us here and beyond. Godspeed to you and whatever comes to pass. Sending prayers and positive vibes to you from across the pond during this most diifficult period. Keep us posted when you can.
Ots Radio Broadcaster 1.94
PDI=PB5E-FGPP
Ots DJPro 1.94
PDI=PBN6-ZLTL
Ots DJPro 1.90
PDI=PBXH-PNK9

If music is the food of the soul, then play on...

:aGuitar:

clover-leaf-productions

See what happens, my computer breaks down, and so does Dr. James!

Well I have fixed the computer, and am transferring files as I type.  This too will be the same for you my friend.  Those doctors will fix you, and you will begin to transfer your thoughts to new, and more creative ways to use your many talents in a positive way that will affect all of those around you.

This is not your fist go around with the Cancer Monster, but through good medicine, and meditation I am confident you will beat it again.

All of my very best to you my friend.
Cheers,
Brian
Dayton, Ohio, USA

www.clover-leaf-productions.com

milky

Thanks, guys, for your kind words and concerns. I'll keep you posted on my journey.

Ed

clover-leaf-productions

Greetings Dr. James!

Have they scheduled a time for your procedure yet?  We are all pulling for you, and just want to stay on top of the calendar of events so we can support you, as best we can. :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Brian
Dayton, Ohio, USA

www.clover-leaf-productions.com

milky

I go in on the 3rd December for prep. Probably hack me up on the 4th.

Lane

May you have the best possible outcome.
It's all just programming :P

Jammin' Adam

The 3rd will be my 60th birth anniversary, and I know what I will wish for before blowing out the candles.
Just an ordinary average guy, who built an ordinary average computer, and uses it to play some ordinary average music, using a very extraordinary and extremely above average software called OtsAV. Which gives an ordinary average person, some extraordinary and  better than average multimedia enjoyment, to supplement an otherwise ordinary average lifestyle.

OtsAV PDI's:
PAAA-BGGD | PBSB-FQ1N | PA31-FB5V