How to run different type videos off OTSAV DJ?

Started by mikehende, September 18, 2019, 07:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikehende

Hey guys, I am now getting into watching videos. I have video collection with different formats like .mov, .flv and one more which I cannot remember at this time. They all can run through regular players like VLC and others but how does it work in OTSAV to view them in full screen "on an external monitor: and will OTSAV run all the different file types please?

milky

Ots has always done MOV, and, in the last release, Studio can now deal with M4V, but it takes a long time to convert - something like 5 minutes per track on a fast CPU.
OtsDJ           PDI = PAAA-BHVP,  PBQN-3658
S & L               PDI = PAAA-BK27 x 2
Studio             PDI = PAAA-BL38

mikehende

I will try out a few different file types tomorrow, report back

mikehende

Well, I tried adding a new category to the ML for the videos but it shows I am already using the max amount. So no option for me to work with videos?

milky

I think the category count maxes out at 128. Maybe you can recycle another one?
I was wrong yesterday. It is VOB files from a "standard" DVD that Ots can handle natively. There are quite a few conversion programs out there that can change other formats back to VOB, so I have done that in the past. No doubt there is some loss of quality with each conversion.

Jumpin' Jeff

Why do you need to add a category for videos??? Enter .v in the OMQL query box to show only your videos, and then add other parameters to narrow further.
Jeff Main

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time. 
Abraham Lincoln

OtsAV license holder for life.
PDI: OtsAV TV Broadcaster PARC-KHY7

mikehende

I thought I will need to add a category as normal to import the video collection to?

socialdancer

No, you don't need categories for anything.  They are only there to help you sort your collection to make things easier to find.

Imagine your media library is just a big box full of CD/DVD albums.  When you get some more you can just throw them in the box, tell Ots to refresh the library, and it will happily list them all for you.
If you spend some time putting a red sticker on all your Country albums, or a yellow sticker on all your albums with a female vocalist, etc etc then you could ask Ots to just list those with a red sticker - the Red/Country category.

It happens that Ots has an in-built 'category' that it automatically applies to all video albums.  Enter .V in the HTML box and Ots will only list those items that it knows contains video.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think any videos must be imported/converted into .ots files using Studio before Ots can display them.  Studio will accept a few video formats but by no means all of them.

Before we get too bogged down, can I just check why you want to play the videos with Ots.  Are they music videos that you want to intermix with music?
In your first post you speak of "watching videos".  If they are not music videos, but typical TV or movie files then it would be far simpler to play them with something oter than Ots.  VCL takes a lot of beating and would be my first choice.

mikehende

Thanks for the info/help. I mainly wanted to run the videos through OTS so they would play back at same volume but instead of going through all that I guess I can simply purchase Breakaway Audio Enhancer and run the different format videos through it.

When I had tried the demo with my mp3 files via MediaMonkey they all worked great just like OTS. So hopefully the different format video's volume level should all stay constant with that processor running through PotPlayer. Since I already had tried the demo last year, think I won't be able to demo this time again so would need to purchase and hope it works.

socialdancer

Before you spend any money be sure to have a play with PotPlayer's audio settings which include
a normaliser.

mikehende

Yes I had done that initially when I had tried Pot Player, works good by itself when playing low but on loud volume on big speakers that's where you hear the big difference in volume levels. So the Audio Enhancer software should cover this.

milky

I'm not sure if you can still purchase BAE. I believe that it has been replaced by Breakaway 1. For Ots, select the HD core. You can set it up and use it as the download is fully functional. You will just get a random voiceover inserted until you license it, but it gives you the opportunity to try it and tweak all the options.

Dr.J

My understanding is you can still purchase BAE but are unable to purchase any of the deprecated professional products (BADJ, BALive, etc.).
Your mileage may vary...