1 Gold Radio

Started by Paul Douglas, November 07, 2018, 02:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Douglas

1 Gold Radio, is OTS powered and has been running for around 5 years now and is still picking up new listeners all the time (last month we had over 12,000 hours of listening.

It's a jukebox format station, with many of its jingles voiced by the very late and much imitated Bill Mitchell, hourly top of the hour time checks and 2 ad breaks for authenticity.

Try it you might love it

37.59.41.148:8238

Saturdays are solid gold 60's 06:00-20:00 uk time

www.1goldradio.co.uk

Ed

Hell is for children was playing when I tuned in, not my kind of music! I would not consider that "Gold"...

Paul Douglas

Hi Ed,

thanks for listening....although the song you heard may not have been to your liking.

1 Gold's strap line is 25 Years of great music '64-'89, poetic licence means stuff you would have or could have heard on the Radio during that period (which is why you sometimes hear songs pre 1964).

The Pat Benatar song in question was a minor hit in the US and falls into the allocated time frame, surely a song from that long ago would be classed as being a golden oldie, and provides the listener with a memory jog rather than wall to wall Beatles, Stones and whoever else.

So I make no apology for that song or the other ones that come round that weren't massive.....maybe ones that got away would be a good category for them....but still old and in my mind Gold.

Thanks for taking the time to listen.

Ed

Quote from: Paul Douglas on November 14, 2018, 01:58:32 PM

The Pat Benatar song in question was a minor hit in the US and falls into the allocated time frame, surely a song from that long ago would be classed as being a golden oldie

We may have to agree to disagree Paul, just because a tune was made a long time ago doesn't make it a "Golden Oldie" or make it a "Good Oldie"....it is a bad oldie. I realize I happen to tune in when this song was playing but IMO it should not be on a playlist at all to prevent a "turn off" from other folks as well.

Lane

I always took gold to mean it was a hit. That song was one of those. As for taste, I learned a long time ago mine is all that counts. :p
It's all just programming :P

Ed

Quote from: Lane on November 14, 2018, 05:03:37 PM
I always took gold to mean it was a hit.

That song ranked   #194 for 1983, #8,940 overall. Even though it was off her Crimes of Passion album that did well in the rock genre, the song itself did not. Hell Is For Children is not a Golden hit!

Paul: On a side note, nothing wrong with blending in other songs that were not big hits or did not go gold or platinum. The point is, just because a tune is from way back does not make it solid gold.

milky

I think that Paul's point is that, if we only played the number ones, truly classified as "Gold", there would be a high rotation of a very small amount of music outpourings, and would be heavily biased towards those artists who were prolific at the time, such as the Beatles, Stones et al.

Experienced and qualifiedProgram Directors will always sprinkle some "left of centre" tracks through the playlists to capture a market slightly left of centre of the true "Gold" list.
OtsDJ           PDI = PAAA-BHVP,  PBQN-3658
S & L               PDI = PAAA-BK27 x 2
Studio             PDI = PAAA-BL38

Lane

194 for all of 1983 sounds pretty good to me. I'm assuming that's for USA.
It's all just programming :P

Ed

Quote from: milky on November 14, 2018, 08:59:30 PM
I think that Paul's point is that, if we only played the number ones, truly classified as "Gold", there would be a high rotation of a very small amount of music outpourings, and would be heavily biased towards those artists who were prolific at the time, such as the Beatles, Stones et al.

Experienced and qualifiedProgram Directors will always sprinkle some "left of centre" tracks through the playlists to capture a market slightly left of centre of the true "Gold" list.

The issue is not about programming!
Paul stated:
Quotesurely a song from that long ago would be classed as being a golden oldie
It is an "oldie"...not classified as Gold, Golden or Solid Gold

Paul's programming part is fine. He plays a specific range of tunes that made gold status in the rock genre mixed with ones that did not. I happen to dislike the song in question and said so as it was a first impression of his station. There are many very good songs that bubbled under the gold that would have been a better choice imho.

Paul Douglas

And as an end to this burning question of what is gold and what is not, as Milky says, (well almost) most of the songs were big hits other were lesser hits....but all deserve to be heard again (my opinion as a programmer)

Once again I thank you all for your input, and thanks for listening

Tim Gainer

Checking you out from Chicago...sounds great! Love the ecletic mix of hits. From Barbara Streisand to the Thompson Twins? I'LL TAKE IT!!  :thumbsup:
Ots Radio Broadcaster 1.94
PDI=PB5E-FGPP
Ots DJPro 1.94
PDI=PBN6-ZLTL
Ots DJPro 1.90
PDI=PBXH-PNK9

If music is the food of the soul, then play on...

:aGuitar:

renovicini

What source is this from?

Quote from: Ed on November 14, 2018, 05:36:54 PM

That song ranked   #194 for 1983, #8,940 overall. Even though it was off her Crimes of Passion album that did well in the rock genre, the song itself did not. Hell Is For Children is not a Golden hit!

I'd sure love to know so I can look up a few songs myself.
Thanks
Reno Vicini
                      OtsDJ - PDI PAAA-BHE8
Scheduling & Logging - PDI PB1L-F4NW

Ed

Quote from: renovicini on November 26, 2018, 11:21:14 PM
What source is this from?

I'd sure love to know so I can look up a few songs myself.
Thanks

www.billboard.com

Paul Douglas

Quote from: Tim Gainer on November 26, 2018, 10:08:25 AM
Checking you out from Chicago...sounds great! Love the ecletic mix of hits. From Barbara Streisand to the Thompson Twins? I'LL TAKE IT!!  :thumbsup:

Thanks Tim......eclectic is the way to go.

The Christmas songs will begin on Sunday Morning 06:00 UK Time for the first week just 1 song an hour.

Cheers

Paul

Jammin' Adam

Whether it was a big hit or not, it's the message within the song is what counts. Read the lyrics sometime, even the album title "Crimes Of Passion" should give a solid clue about what you may hear, "Hell Is For Children" is a clear cut example of child abuse plain and simple. It may not be her biggest hit song, but brings to light something that does happen to some children in this world.
Just an ordinary average guy, who built an ordinary average computer, and uses it to play some ordinary average music, using a very extraordinary and extremely above average software called OtsAV. Which gives an ordinary average person, some extraordinary and  better than average multimedia enjoyment, to supplement an otherwise ordinary average lifestyle.

OtsAV PDI's:
PAAA-BGGD | PBSB-FQ1N | PA31-FB5V