WOW! It's quiet in here!

Started by milky, June 27, 2018, 09:01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milky

Hard to believe that the last post in here was back in February. I know that many have moved over to the (super secure  :laugh: :laugh:) Face Book, but it surprises me that at least some of you don't have something to contribute.
OtsDJ           PDI = PAAA-BHVP,  PBQN-3658
S & L               PDI = PAAA-BK27 x 2
Studio             PDI = PAAA-BL38

Jigger

It certainly is quiet Milky, I check in usually a couple of times a day.
Like yourself I don't use face book, someone may be able to tell us how busy it is.
In the meantime still here.
Ron
PDI PAAA-BE42 x 2 OtsAV Pro
PDI PBQ4-BH3P x 1 OtsAV Pro

Ed

Nothing much on FB either. The whole OTS thing has pretty much died unfortunately. What is their to contribute? 

Jigger

Of course with no updates or new features there is nothing to discuss.
Ron

DJArt (Baby Boomer DJ)

Isn't there supposed to be a revision of the current program?

Jumpin' Jeff

The FascistBook page isn't busy at all. Just slightly busier than here, but nothing like this site in it's hayday. The Ots guys haven't been here since Mid March, and other than the sales notifications in emails, that's all we get anymore. I try to get in here a couple times a week, but Politics have become my primary concern these days. I'm all in, fighting the NWO, and trying to keep our Constitution alive. I'm at the point that if we do see another update, it will likely be the last.
Jeff Main

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time. 
Abraham Lincoln

OtsAV license holder for life.
PDI: OtsAV TV Broadcaster PARC-KHY7

Dj Buik

Hi there,

What can i say, i'm still using OtsAv occasionally for weddings and stuff.
And all these years it has never let me down one time.
(I started using it from the Otsjuke time back in 1999)

But the last couple of months i'm also using Virtual DJ with my new Denon DJ MCX8000 running on a Intel NUC i7.
This combination is also very solid.

I'm slowly shifting to VDJ because i think OtsAv is almost 'abondonware'.
It just lacks features, like for example support for new midi controllers.
Please correct me if i'm wrong.
I say this with pain in my heart, and i do not want this to be a rant towards Ots.

'You want it fast or you want it good' isn't working anymore for me.
Dj Buik, Netherlands (PAAA-BFAJ, PADQ-QAAN, PAES-37QS and PB7S-AD6J)

milky

Sadly DJBuik, I am leaning towards agreeing with you.

It used to be that, to write something as complex as OtsAV would have taken many man-months to complete. However, there are some amazing development tools around now which dramatically cut the time-consuming tasks of designing control screens and assigning tasks to buttons. etc.

The DSP engine in Ots hasn't changed significantly in many years, and the last release was just a partial catch-up to convert audio and video formats which have been around as long as the smart phone.

Compare that with the complexity of programs such as BreakawayOne which took a man-year to re-write completely to a new platform, but is immensely more complex than Ots. The DSP engine alone is multi-channel, multi-band, the EQ is parametric, the displays are selectable - oscilloscope, bar, RTA, FFT System Analyser etc.

Furthermore, it is not just an audio processor, but a very complex broadcast controller - from the mixer desk to the final transmitter, either terrestrial or streaming.
Since the initial release in December, 2016, over forty updates have been released, as feedback from all over the world pours in suggesting improvements, enhancements and occasional bug fixes.

I could go on, but, like you, Buik, I don't want this to be a rant, just a comparison between one company's lack-lustre performance, and another in a similar industry over the same time span. I continue to visit daily, and will help whenever asked, but the requests for assistance come very rarely these days. I assumed that the reason was the move to FB, but apparently there's not much happening there either.

I will finish on a high. I recently had to move my Ots licence to a new tablet. Not long afterwards, the tablet was destroyed and I had to move the licence again. Ots staff were very understanding and helpful.
I was then notified that one of my licence numbers had been released into the wild and was being used for cracks. Once again, Ots staff quickly shut down the licence and issued a replacement number, so I have to give them ten out of ten for support.

Lane

Ya know. It's actually 9 years ago I started my community FM station with different software. I was forced to do that because I needed certain features to be there or I wouldn't be able to go on the air. Unfortunately, literally nothing I needed then has since been added to Ots software so I still can't use it today. I still check in here fairly regularly to make sure 'stuff is working' since I'm hosting the forum on one of my servers, and I'm happy to continue to do that for the fine folks here. I'm not able to contribute much otherwise since I've forgotten most everything I once knew about Ots software.

I'll tell you the one thing I don't need that I miss just cuz it's cool. The way Ots can slow down the tempo of a song while keeping it at the same pitch and still sound awesome. Not a lot of call for that on a community FM station, but fun, and so well done!

If y'all want to know a nice buttertart recipe, I could share that! (NOPE! LIES! No one gets my recipe!)
It's all just programming :P

clover-leaf-productions

Would you people hold it down!  This is supposed to be a quiet forum, and some of us are trying to get some sleep here. :laugh:

I used to come just to see, and chat with all of my good friends here.  Many have moved on, and as mentioned, those of us who are left have nothing new to talk about.  You still can not pry my old 1.85 Ots out of my cold, dead hand.  It is just to reliable on that big XP machine.  I have no reason to give up something so reliable at gigs just to try the latest flashy come lately program.

Be well my friends, and keep those tunes coming either over the air, or in your favorite club, or party venue.
Cheers,
Brian
Dayton, Ohio, USA

www.clover-leaf-productions.com

milky

Great to hear from some of the old regulars! If we added up the number of years the few respondents to this thread have been members here, it would make quite a tidy sum.

Maybe we should start planning a party for "This was the forum that was".

Jigger

Never mind the years we have been members here how about our combined ages :thumbsup:
Ron

DJArt (Baby Boomer DJ)

Even an old NEW guy has noticed the decline in inquiries and upgrades.  I'm in my 70's and still actively hitting the Wedding and Party scenes.  Would be nice to have an upgrade to make the laptop screen more visible in direct reflective sunlight.  Also, a better tutorial on how to convert OTS files to Studio for "beat mixing".  I've tried to conquer but seem to be losing the skirmishes.  I suppose the technique needs to be in layman terms for mixing.

Ed

Quote from: Dj Buik on July 02, 2018, 04:42:49 PM

I'm slowly shifting to VDJ because i think OtsAv is almost 'abondonware'.

Exactly, Ots is very out of date and simply collecting dust..It's a AS IS product now. I am not sure who is running the show anymore and some rumors have Adam Ots very ill.

milky

Quote from: Jigger on July 04, 2018, 10:50:18 AM
Never mind the years we have been members here how about our combined ages :thumbsup:

Well, I'm 70 and DJArt has professed to being "in his 70's", and I know that you, Jigger, are no Spring chicken, so we are well on the way to 200 between the three of us alone.