Ots hardware suggestions 2017

Started by Mike Sinclair, July 02, 2017, 01:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Sinclair

I've struggled trying to find a hardware setup exclusively for Ots. 19-inch mixers are rare now... Esperance doesn't seem to play well with MIDI controllers... hitting the button to load a song in a deck opens up the third panel instead. At any rate, I would LOVE to run an OtsAV system with MIDI. I could live without midi, but not my first choice. What kind of mixer and/or controller are you guys using that is working for you? And are you able to listen to the other deck in cue (headphones)? I've gone back & forth with DJ software (too many times in fact) but I really would like one dedicated "ots system" and I would love your thoughts on hardware to run it.

Mike Sinclair

Jumpin' Jeff

Sorry you haven't got an answer yet Mike. I only do one show a year now, and don't even use a controller any longer.
Jeff Main

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time. 
Abraham Lincoln

OtsAV license holder for life.
PDI: OtsAV TV Broadcaster PARC-KHY7

Jigger

It is a shame Jeff mike hasn't had any replies, like your self I don't use a controller, but many members here have used controllers, I thought some of them would have posted something.
Ron
PDI PAAA-BE42 x 2 OtsAV Pro
PDI PBQ4-BH3P x 1 OtsAV Pro

clover-leaf-productions

We do not use a controller either.  Heck we are still using Ots 1.85.  It works better for us than the current version.  We just take our Ots output into our main mixer that accommodates our other equipment.  Then from the mixer to our amps; and from their to our speakers.
Cheers,
Brian
Dayton, Ohio, USA

www.clover-leaf-productions.com

Teddy 2Fast

Hello there Mike,
I 've been using for over almost 3 years the Hercules 4Mx console.
I use it in a club that I work every Saturday and in my radio parties that I do once a year.
It works great, I have no problems whatsoever with it (once you get used to it)... It needs a little of that!
The sound is really good, the headphones cue works fine, meaning that you can of course listen to any of the decks or both at any given time, although the audio level of it lacks power!
I don't load songs from it to the decks, I'm pretty sure it does that too, but I also have a mouse so I use it for track loading.
Overall I'm happy with it, its a sturdy and very robust unit and as such is a bit heavy too.
If you want to ask anything else just let me know.
Peace,
Teddy '²Fast' Papas
RadioActive 91.3 - Official Site
Listen LIVE

PDIs :
PAAA-BGKD x 1
PAAA-BGY6 x 1
PAAA-BH5M x 2
PAAA-BK6W x 1 (S&L)

Mike Sinclair

Quote from: Teddy 2Fast on December 05, 2017, 05:54:52 PM
Hello there Mike,
I 've been using for over almost 3 years the Hercules 4Mx console.
I use it in a club that I work every Saturday and in my radio parties that I do once a year.
It works great, I have no problems whatsoever with it (once you get used to it)... It needs a little of that!
The sound is really good, the headphones cue works fine, meaning that you can of course listen to any of the decks or both at any given time, although the audio level of it lacks power!
I don't load songs from it to the decks, I'm pretty sure it does that too, but I also have a mouse so I use it for track loading.
Overall I'm happy with it, its a sturdy and very robust unit and as such is a bit heavy too.
If you want to ask anything else just let me know.

Teddy, thanks for the post. Would there be a way to find out if the buttons work for loading songs into the decks? Also, I don't see a scroll wheel. How do you go up and down through a playlist? Is there a way to do that with the controller? I don't use a mouse anymore. Thanks!

Mike Sinclair

Mike Sinclair

I started tinkering with Ots again this morning (hadn't really messed with it a long time). It really is a fantastic piece of software. I just wish you could set cue points and I wish there was support for more MIDI controllers. I still think I'm going to start using it again. Do you think Ots will allow users to change font size and color, or at least offer different skins or color schemes in a future release? I think a little customization could go a long way. As a wedding DJ, I am out in direct sunlight sometimes and it would be nice to have the ability to tweak things.

Jumpin' Jeff

Whatever we think is purely speculation Mike. You might want to direct that to Ots as both a recommendation and consideration.
Jeff Main

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time. 
Abraham Lincoln

Mike Sinclair

Thanks Jeff. I actually sent them an e-mail this morning.

Jumpin' Jeff

Jeff Main

Abraham Lincoln

Colinw62

Denon HC4500 Controller, Denon DX500 mixer = works a treat.

Both are 19" 4U rack mount

Teddy 2Fast

QuoteTeddy, thanks for the post. Would there be a way to find out if the buttons work for loading songs into the decks? Also, I don't see a scroll wheel. How do you go up and down through a playlist? Is there a way to do that with the controller? I don't use a mouse anymore. Thanks!

Sorry for the delayed reply...

I 'm pretty sure that you gotta use the mouse, I can't use the loading/folders etc.. it opens up other windows, history, prepare etc... its just a mess!
Scroll wheel... Mighty mouse again :)

As an update, I got myself a Denon 6000MK2 about a week ago, same exact behavior on the loading, plus the MID level pot is not mapped so it doesn't do anything, only BASS and TREBLE.

Happy New Year!
Peace,
Teddy '²Fast' Papas
RadioActive 91.3 - Official Site
Listen LIVE

PDIs :
PAAA-BGKD x 1
PAAA-BGY6 x 1
PAAA-BH5M x 2
PAAA-BK6W x 1 (S&L)

Jumpin' Jeff

No Mid? are you sure? I'm sure that can be rectified.
Jeff Main

Abraham Lincoln