New Ots Release!!

Started by neast70, June 20, 2017, 01:23:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milky

Quote from: Ots_Steve on June 20, 2017, 12:41:43 PM
Hi Milky,

For now you can just copy the OtsStud.exe (and OtsPlay.exe if you wish) from your main machine and put in the same C:\OtsLabs\ folder and it will work fine. Both of these files don't require a license.

Cheers,
Ots_Steve

Hi Ots_Steve. Great to hear from you, and thank you for your input. I had a feeling that I tried to copy the OtsStud.exe across to another PC once before and it fired up, but then wouldn't do anything e.g. File Import etc. For now, I went the MixFM route of installing OtsAV TV again, but skipping the registration.

I have a couple of concerns with FFmpeg implementation.
1) What if the user's PC cannot handle 48000Hz? The default seems to be the higher bitrate, and it works for me, but may not work for all.
2) Not all videos (M4V) will convert at this stage. It seems to be age related, so I am guessing that the older iTunes tracks are a bit skinny on resolution or something like that. Ots Studio doesn't reject them, it simply processes for a few seconds without the progress bar moving, then produced a tiny output file which won't play. I know that you "can't polish a poo", but I was hoping that the new codec would clean up some of the artefacts that occur when passing these older video files through several programs to convert to the old VOB format.
OtsDJ           PDI = PAAA-BHVP,  PBQN-3658
S & L               PDI = PAAA-BK27 x 2
Studio             PDI = PAAA-BL38

milky

This is the log from an attempt to convert an M4V file. Ots Studio reported it as a successful conversion, but there was no effective output.
Ots Studio Professional (1.02.001) log file - generated 21-Jun-2017
07:20:38 - Log opened.

Operation: Import files to current Ots file.
Ots file: Untitled
Number of files to import: 1

*** Importing file 1 of 1, F:\iTunes Music\Lee Kernaghan\Unknown Album\Spirit of the Bush.m4v ...
Transcoding to VP9 and/or Opus in temporary WebM container ...
FFmpeg 3.3.1 detected
Found EBML/WebM stream ...
     Opus audio:
2 channels, 48000 Hz, 50 frames, 50 packets, Avg bitrate: 800 b/s
Coded samples: 48000, Samples: 46812, Duration (m:s.t): 0:00.9
Pre-skip: 312 samp., Predominant band usage: FB, Original s/rate: 48000 Hz

(1 file out of 1 successfully created)

07:20:41 - Log closed.

milky

Oh! Just realised that the conversion issue might be related to DRM with the early iTunes tracks. They have relaxed the rules now, and there seems to be no problem with later video tracks, so it might be Digital Rights.

Ots_Steve

Quote from: milky on June 20, 2017, 11:42:12 PM
Oh! Just realised that the conversion issue might be related to DRM with the early iTunes tracks. They have relaxed the rules now, and there seems to be no problem with later video tracks, so it might be Digital Rights.

Hi Milky,

Yes, the DRM is probably the reason.

Bear in mind, as per the release notes and linked codec page, the FFmpeg feature is just there for the average user for convenience. While it will work well and provide good results for most people, for those advanced users who wish to have specific control on FFmpeg settings they should just use the FFmpeg command line tool directly (or use an appropriate front end if not comfortable with a command line tool) to create their natively-Ots-file-supported webm files, etc. Then they can simply use the batch converter for these natively supported files and FFmpeg is therefore not used.

Cheers,
Ots_Steve

Ots Labs - Intelligence for your AV.™
DOWNLOAD FREE: OtsAV, OtsTurntables and Ots CD Scratch 1200

milky

Has anyone else had RAC issues? First, it wouldn't open under the default port 80 (when it always had before). I then changed it to port 8080, which it accepted, but still won't open.

socialdancer

I've only done a quick test but RAC looks OK for me.
Active on default port 80
My homebrew now-playing tool reads the data OK.

Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

Jumpin' Jeff

I haven't tried the RAC with the new version yet. Perhaps a task for tonight.
Jeff Main

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time. 
Abraham Lincoln

OtsAV license holder for life.
PDI: OtsAV TV Broadcaster PARC-KHY7

milky

I finally got RAC working, but on port 8080. I have no idea why it said port 80 was already allocated, as this laptop has nothing but Ots on it.

Jumpin' Jeff

I can't get it running on port 80 on win 10 either. Even after enabling localhost in the host file and rebooting. Also tried turning on Internet information services, but then it hogged the system at port 80. in the end, I always used 9090 as my port anyhow, and that works.
Jeff Main

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time. 
Abraham Lincoln

Ots_Steve

Hi Guys,

I can confirm it works fine on default Port 80 on a Win 10 64-bit system with latest updates (Creators Update) when I tried it just now in Firefox 64-bit, Chrome, IE and Edge.

I just typed localhost in address bar and RAC came up normally.

Check your Windows firewall settings for OtsAV and any other third-party firewall software running which could be blocking. Also may be another application causing issues.

Ots_Steve

Ots Labs - Intelligence for your AV.™
DOWNLOAD FREE: OtsAV, OtsTurntables and Ots CD Scratch 1200

Jumpin' Jeff

Sure enough, I tried it again just now, and it worked on port 80. Cant say what changed since last attempt.
Jeff Main

Abraham Lincoln

milky

Mine has been working since I changed it to 8080 (which is totally unknown to any other application), but, yesterday, it told me that THAT port was unavailable, so I changed it back to 80. Whatever test Ots is applying to see if the port is available seems to fail randomly.