External sound card

Started by winsorpd, May 22, 2017, 09:47:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

winsorpd

Howdy,

Had my laptop (OTSAV) lose the sound card a few times this weekend.  I rebooted and it gave an error message of not allocating a sound source. 

If the status lights on the sound card are illuminated (orange and yellow), but there is no audio, do I select legacy or sys on the soundcard in the OTS program?

I haven't replaced the card yet, but I suspect the problem is there.  I used the miniplug as my sound source.

It's a Gigaport AG. 

Dave
Dave Winsor
//www.999thewolf.com
//www.djaradio.com  "Who Are You' airing on Friday's
PDI=PBJ4-M6CL

milky

It could be a driver for the soundcard that is not up-to-date, or has been replaced but a Windows version via automatic updates that might not be as robust. Try re-installing the original drivers, or checking for later drivers from their website.

It may also be a USB port issue. Check the power settings of the port to make sure that it won't power down.
OtsDJ           PDI = PAAA-BHVP,  PBQN-3658
S & L               PDI = PAAA-BK27 x 2
Studio             PDI = PAAA-BL38

winsorpd

Thank you Milky.  The soundcard shows a red and yellow light illuminated as always, it's just that the channel indicators (green) aren't illuminated.  So my guess is the USB post is at least active to some degree, but it's the program isn't allocating the card as an output.

I will check the port today along with the card and drivers.

Thank you,

Dave
Dave Winsor
//www.999thewolf.com
//www.djaradio.com  "Who Are You' airing on Friday's
PDI=PBJ4-M6CL

milky

In a USB cable, there are four wires. Two provide the + and - DC for a five volt supply to the downstream device. This is obviously working to light up the LEDs. The other two wires carry the data stream to and from the device. If the channel indicators aren't lighting up, there may be a fault with these two wires or the connection, but it could simply mean that the drivers aren't "talking" to the device, so the channel LEDs aren't responding.

I'd definitely be looking at re-installing the drivers, which may have been updated by Windows to a version which doesn't work with your device. 
OtsDJ           PDI = PAAA-BHVP,  PBQN-3658
S & L               PDI = PAAA-BK27 x 2
Studio             PDI = PAAA-BL38