Converting from MP4

Started by dazzledj, February 25, 2017, 01:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dazzledj

I have been on OTS user for many many years and I have DJ friends using Virtual DJ 8, and guess what, they don't have to convert ANYTHING.  I understand converting to OTS from MP4, but your software wont even let me do that. 99% of the legal videos I purchase from online music/video pools are in the MP4 format. So it takes me FOREVER to have to convert from MP4 to VOB then to OTS.  I hate to be a pain but honestly its getting old fast.  I do love OTS that is why I have contiuned with it.  But the time it is taking me to convert files not only once but twice is too much.  I would like realistic info on when this will change of IF it will.  I hate to have to switch but if there isn't a new update in the VERY near future which will include this update I will have to switch to Virtual DJ 8.  Please inform!

Patrick Cooke
PC Productions
www.dazzledj.com

Jumpin' Jeff

Hold up! If you think we are the author of OtsAV, you're incorrect! I created these forums originally because there were no official channels to support the product. We are all volunteers working here trying to offer support of what we know. We have no inside knowledge of the software from the 2 official Ots members that rarely frequent these forums. I understand your frustration, I really do, but if you want answers to this question, you're going to have to ask Ots Support directly. They don't like to tell us when anything is expected, because they don't know themselves. They say that when it is stable, and ready, it will be released. Use the "email guidelines" section of this page to communicate with them.
http://www.otslabs.com/support/#__utma=1.1323795212.1480981588.1484582364.1488122966.4&__utmb=1.1.10.1488122966&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1484582364.3.3.utmcsr=google|utmccn=(organic)|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=(not%20provided)&__utmv=-&__utmk=28409532
Jeff Main

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time. 
Abraham Lincoln

OtsAV license holder for life.
PDI: OtsAV TV Broadcaster PARC-KHY7

dazzledj

I am sorry if I broke the rules of the board, that wasn't my intention. I guess I was just frustrated in the time it takes to convert files week after week. I am not a computer genius but I am guessing it seems like it would be something that OTS staff would be working on really hard.  I think it would make a LOT of DJs very happy to cut down the time it currently takes converting music videos. Maybe in the recent future OTS will make this update.

Jumpin' Jeff

You didn't break the rules, I may have responded too strongly. Just saying we are not the developers, only volunteers.

You would get a lot of support for your argument here. Many want to be able to convert from MP4 directly to Ots. It's been a request since the beginning of the Video support in Ots.
Jeff Main

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time. 
Abraham Lincoln

dazzledj

I have been in touch with OTS staff and their respose is "We do intend to support MPEG-4 conversion in Ots Studio to the Ots format, however, we are not able to provide a specific timeframe at this stage or which release it may arrive in."

Until that time is there software that you use to convert from MP4 either to VOB or MPEG3 that will keep the MP4 HD Quality.  I normally use AVS Video converter to convert MP4 over to VOB.  OTS admin recommeded that I use TMPGEnc (the leading quality conversion software) and you can batch process the files overnight.

See:

http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tvmw6.html

My AVS video converter software will also convert to MPEG3 which OTS supports but in the conversion from MP4 to MPEG3 it seems like the file gets compressed and the HD quality is gone.  Hopefully OTS will make this change soon, but in the meantime I want to keep the HD quality videos when I convert without having to do it ONE at a time (which I currently have to do when converting to VOB)  I am hoping to do it in a batch format MP4 to MPEG3 again without loosing the quality.  If I have to purchase software to do this I guess I will have to. Please inform. Thanks in advance.

dazzledj

Sorry I meant MPEG2 Not MPEG3, OTS supports MPEG2.  I want a good conversion software that will convert MP4 to MPEG2, without loosing HD Quality.

Patrick

Jumpin' Jeff

In the early days of Ots Video, I did use the TMPEG converter recommended, but for the last several years, I found other solutions I liked better. Currently, I use Movavi Video suite.

As for studio importing mp4... All I can say is don't hold your breath. I know they are working hard on the next release, but it's taking it's toll on Adam if you ask me. I'm glad they want great solid software, but on the other end, it's taking too long to get that quality software out to their customers.

Here are the last 2 releases.

1.90.014/15 released on 21 July 2013 Full initial Esperance release
1.90.044 released on 31 July 2015 Minor maintenance release

Feb 28, 2017... Current date, with no foreseeable release date. Will it be another 2 full years from the 2015 release, or longer?

Granted also, the next release is supposed to give us an updated media library format to allow for more than 128 genres, store cues, store loops, and several other things we've been waiting on, so it is a major undertaking, but in the meantime, I think they are losing their relevance in the DJ market. They've been promising 2.0 for almost 18 years.

Jeff Main

Abraham Lincoln

dazzledj

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it. After prom season I will be switching over to Virtual DJ 8. No converting files at all. You download the MP4 files and you are done.  The next few months it will give me time to practice Virtual DJ til I get totally comfortable with it. Its ridiculous to be converting files when there are so many good products on the market you don't have to at all. Best of luck