Upgrade to WIN 10 from WIN 7 or 8.1 -- Concerns

Started by DJArt (Baby Boomer DJ), August 24, 2015, 12:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dickus51

However if you upgade to Win10 go through every setting as Microsoft as default sets everything so as they can spy on you.  :unsure:
Dick
OtsAV Dj Pro-Classic+ x 2
OtsAV Broadcaster
PDI: PA6A-SM62 | PAD3-HXAB | PAM7-8TM9  :thumb:

markebenson

Honestly i am going to let everyone else try it out. When everyone is happy with it, then i will get it.  That has been my policy ever since I got the shaft with Vista. They spent months trying to fix the bugs and then gave up and launched 7.

Jumpin' Jeff

TBO, I am having one issue with windows 10. Every time I try to import all my inputs in vMix, and most notably one of my Logitech c270 cameras, with a c920, a lifecam studio, and a few other inputs, I get a BSOD pointing to dxgmms2.sys. I am trying to get assistance on the windows insider forums currently on that issue. Other than that, I'm completely happy with 10.
Jeff Main

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time. 
Abraham Lincoln

OtsAV license holder for life.
PDI: OtsAV TV Broadcaster PARC-KHY7

milky

The little laptop I use with Ots in my car really didn't need upgrading, as it was already Windows 8.1 and worked very reliably with Ots. However, I responded to the invitation, and ultimately allowed the upgrade. Since then, Ots has not been as reliable, sometimes spontaneously shutting down (not a BSOD, but simply shuts down as though someone pressed the "X") and occasionally stops halfway through a track and "plays" without audio or any signal bars showing, until the next track drops in the deck, when it starts to play normally again.

As it is only for continuous music in the Bimmer, so it is only a mild inconvenience, but, if this was a laptop I used for gigs, it would be intolerable.

Bottom line - if it ain't broke.......
OtsDJ           PDI = PAAA-BHVP,  PBQN-3658
S & L               PDI = PAAA-BK27 x 2
Studio             PDI = PAAA-BL38

Jumpin' Jeff

Interesting!
If you care, you have 30 days to revert (system restore) to your previous OS Milky. After 30 days, the "Windows.old" folder in your root directory will be emptied as I understand it.
Jeff Main

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time. 
Abraham Lincoln

dickus51

Strange Milky, I have OTS in a computer that had to be reinstalled with win7 before it upgraded to 10 and OTS is now on 24/7 with no glitches other than upgrades from Microsoft. Maybe reinstalling was the trick. Yet another with OTS radio had no problem but the soundcard.
Dick
OtsAV Dj Pro-Classic+ x 2
OtsAV Broadcaster
PDI: PA6A-SM62 | PAD3-HXAB | PAM7-8TM9  :thumb:

milky

Quote from: Jumpin' Jeff on September 10, 2015, 01:37:02 PM
Interesting!
If you care, you have 30 days to revert (system restore) to your previous OS Milky. After 30 days, the "Windows.old" folder in your root directory will be emptied as I understand it.

Thanks, JJ. I was aware if that, but decided against it at the time. I forgot to mention that the apparent "faulty" track plays perfectly if I click on "Back" and let it play through, so there is nothing wrong with the Ots file. This laptop also has a 500Gb SSD, so disk access is not a problem. The experience has certainly discouraged me from upgrading the Studio PC from Win7, as I could not tolerate the same problems there.
OtsDJ           PDI = PAAA-BHVP,  PBQN-3658
S & L               PDI = PAAA-BK27 x 2
Studio             PDI = PAAA-BL38

Ed

Jumpin' Jeff

What kind of issues Ed?
I did have issues with MS updating my NVidia drivers to newer that caused me BSODs when running vMix, but nothing that affected Ots. It hasn't forced me to update those drivers now for a week. I guess I finally got them hidden from MS.
Jeff Main

Abraham Lincoln

Ed

My new HP 8.1 laptop with 16 gigs of memory came with a Win 10 upgrade, so I decided to upgrade... these are some of the issues I was having,

Hovering over an app in the taskbar will display an empty preview, even though the app is running.

Color picker for the background did not render the color correctly.

Some apps will overlay the menu on top of the app and others will simply push the app content to the right.
Although these are small issues that shouldn't slow down your productivity.

The settings app which is eventually replacing the Control Panel is not complete, You still have to use the CP for things not listed in the new app. (one example: You can change your mouse settings via the Settings app, but you need to jump to Control Panel to change the mouse pointer???)

Boot up and shutdown took much longer than 8.1

If you don't feel comfortable with the information MS collects, probably Windows 10 isn't for you.

On a positive note, I liked the fact the Start button returned...but I do feel MS rushed this out as they are so infamous of to satisfy the masses. I will wait for MS to work out the bugs on Win 10 like they have done on previous releases before I switch.

markebenson

markebenson

I will give a great piece of advice to those who want to upgrade To 10 or any other upgrade for that matter.

1. Before you do anything clone a copy of your hard drive. 
2. Take your existing hard drive out and put the cloned one in your computer. It should operate exactly the same.
3. Do the upgrade.
4. If for any reason you have a problem with your new install  you can just put your old drive back in your computer and nothing has changed.  You can also continue to work on your new drive as you wish by swapping the drives back and forth whenever you like.

Jumpin' Jeff

Jeff Main

Abraham Lincoln