Otsav & Breakaway experience under Windows 10

Started by Dj Buik, August 02, 2015, 03:25:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dj Buik

I upgraded one of my OtsAV playout systems to Windows 10.
These are the steps i followed:

• Backuped my complete partition with Acronis True Image
  • Upgraded my Windows 7 to Windows 10 with the Microsoft upgrade tool:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
  • Waited until my Windows 10 was fully registered.
  • Upgraded Otsav to the latest 044 version.
  • Checked all my applications
  • Otsav worked very well
  • But Breakaway Live gave some skipping issues, i installed the latest VAC (Virtual Audio Cable), but stil problems
  • Did a complete clean install from the Windows 10 USB stick
  • Installed all my applications again
  • Otsav registration gave a 220 error, i followed the usual procedure
  • Installed Breakaway and the latest VAC => all problems fixed.

Warning: To get the free Windows 10 licensed you MUST do an upgrade from your current Windows 7/8.x version first.
After that you can do an clean install en skip the Windows license key.
After Windows 10 is installed it will register online.
(all very well documented on the web, and is fully legal)
Dj Buik, Netherlands (PAAA-BFAJ, PADQ-QAAN, PAES-37QS and PB7S-AD6J)

milky

Interesting. Thank you, DJ Buik. You may have tried this, but you can often get rid of BA glitches simply by adjusting the number of ASIO buffers in Breakaway. Sometimes also on the sound device. The number should be as small as possible, but not so small as to cause "jitter".
OtsDJ           PDI = PAAA-BHVP,  PBQN-3658
S & L               PDI = PAAA-BK27 x 2
Studio             PDI = PAAA-BL38

Dj Buik

Quote from: milky on August 02, 2015, 09:17:53 PM
Interesting. Thank you, DJ Buik. You may have tried this, but you can often get rid of BA glitches simply by adjusting the number of ASIO buffers in Breakaway. Sometimes also on the sound device. The number should be as small as possible, but not so small as to cause "jitter".

Thank you Milky, but i do not use the ASIO driver in Breakaway Live. I use the Kernel Streaming (KS) driver.
There are known issues with the current VAC used in all Breakaway products with Windows 8.x.
I have an licensed VAC
http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm
the latest version works great in Windows 8.x and beyond.

Jammin' Adam

Quote from: Dj Buik on August 02, 2015, 03:25:08 PM
Warning: To get the free Windows 10 licensed you MUST do an upgrade from your current Windows version first.
After that you can do an clean install en skip the Windows license key.
After Windows 10 is installed it will register online.
(all very well documented on the web, and is fully legal)

That is what I didn't want to read, I was hoping I could do an install on another ssd drive to get used to it before the final changeover.
Just an ordinary average guy, who built an ordinary average computer, and uses it to play some ordinary average music, using a very extraordinary and extremely above average software called OtsAV. Which gives an ordinary average person, some extraordinary and  better than average multimedia enjoyment, to supplement an otherwise ordinary average lifestyle.

OtsAV PDI's:
PAAA-BGGD | PBSB-FQ1N | PA31-FB5V

Dj Buik

With some new SSD's (Samsung ?) you get a utility so you can copy your complete HD disk to SSD.
(Or use another disk copy utility)

That way you can upgrade your current windows and test it.
If you don't like it put back your original disk.

Jumpin' Jeff

Adam, it is very easy once you have updated to win 10, to migrate to an SSD. You basically clone your existing drive to the SSD via a special USB cable for the SSD, clone your drive to it, then swap drives, and power up, and the only difference, is it is much much faster than the old drive. I've done this with 4 systems now and Macrium reflect software. Ordered the cable off Amazon.

My Samsung drive actually came with a utility as Buik says, but I prefer the Macrium software.
Jeff Main

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time. 
Abraham Lincoln

OtsAV license holder for life.
PDI: OtsAV TV Broadcaster PARC-KHY7

Dj Buik

I think Adam wants to test Windows 10 first on a SSD, before he decides to take the definite step to Windows 10.

dickus51

I did not do a clean install for Breakaway to start but needed to uninstall it an restart the computer . Installed it again an this time Win10 found pipeline. All was ok. Furthermore Win10 found my Lynx card with no problem...impressed   :thumbsup: A small learning curve to find all settings but so far so good.
Dick
OtsAV Dj Pro-Classic+ x 2
OtsAV Broadcaster
PDI: PA6A-SM62 | PAD3-HXAB | PAM7-8TM9  :thumb:

Jumpin' Jeff

Quote from: Dj Buik on August 04, 2015, 04:23:03 PM
I think Adam wants to test Windows 10 first on a SSD, before he decides to take the definite step to Windows 10.

Then perhaps he would like an ISO for an earlier version of the preview. If he has a Microsoft account and perhaps signed up as an insider... https://insider.windows.com/ ... he could try it out for free. ;)
Jeff Main

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time. 
Abraham Lincoln

OtsAV license holder for life.
PDI: OtsAV TV Broadcaster PARC-KHY7

Jammin' Adam

Don't have an MS account (that I know of), I could clone 7 to my secondary drive or my external then go ahead and do the upgrade.
Just an ordinary average guy, who built an ordinary average computer, and uses it to play some ordinary average music, using a very extraordinary and extremely above average software called OtsAV. Which gives an ordinary average person, some extraordinary and  better than average multimedia enjoyment, to supplement an otherwise ordinary average lifestyle.

OtsAV PDI's:
PAAA-BGGD | PBSB-FQ1N | PA31-FB5V

milky

I see from the Breakaway forum that the latest big Win10 update (KB3116900) has apparently fixed any previous problems with using BA and Win10.
OtsDJ           PDI = PAAA-BHVP,  PBQN-3658
S & L               PDI = PAAA-BK27 x 2
Studio             PDI = PAAA-BL38

Dj Buik

I can confirm this:
Tested on Windows 10 Pro - 64 bit.