Migrating DB and OTS files

Started by IanMcKenzie, August 02, 2015, 02:01:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IanMcKenzie

My computer died.  I have started to set up a new one and plan to re-install OTS. (I have advice from the vendors  about licensing and I am comfortable with that)  I want to do the re-setup so that I retain all the stuff in the Db (27000 items) and I would like to retain the categories I already have and the templates I use for putting together my radio shows.  I need advice on the best way to do that. Has someone done this successfully?

Jammin' Adam

For starters, what died on the Computer? Was it a drive or other failure? Do you have a backup of everything?
Just an ordinary average guy, who built an ordinary average computer, and uses it to play some ordinary average music, using a very extraordinary and extremely above average software called OtsAV. Which gives an ordinary average person, some extraordinary and  better than average multimedia enjoyment, to supplement an otherwise ordinary average lifestyle.

OtsAV PDI's:
PAAA-BGGD | PBSB-FQ1N | PA31-FB5V

milky

The simple answer is, you need to copy the OtsAV??.oml file from the old hard drive C:\OtsLabs\Data folder to the same location on the new hard drive. This assumes that you can successfully access the old hard drive. If the PC has died, you will have to physically remove the HDD and either install it in the new PC, or into a cradle that can allow you to connect via USB.

the new install will creat an empty oml file, so you can over-write that with the master copy. The last two characters of the file name will reflect the type of licence you have. DJ, TV, RD etc.
OtsDJ           PDI = PAAA-BHVP,  PBQN-3658
S & L               PDI = PAAA-BK27 x 2
Studio             PDI = PAAA-BL38

IanMcKenzie

Hi Folks

BY die I mean that it will not start! However, I have kept the whole of the OTS folder tree on a separate external hard drive, including all the ,ots file.

This is OTSAVRD and a file with that name and the suffix .oml is in the 'data' folder.

I take it that I move that to the same folder on the new computer...is that where the categories and stuff lie?

The .ots files are complete and I shall transfer them from the hard drive to the new computer.. It seems pretty straight forward.  I plan to do it - with fingers - crossed later today.

Thanks for the advice.  I may be back!

IanMcKenzie

Sincere thanks for the help. Now all up and running again with minor problems! Phew...... :banana: