Why the windows 10 upgrade?

Started by markebenson, August 02, 2015, 07:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markebenson

Why does Ots spend so much time to keep up with the current operating system? It will perform exactly the same on windows XP! I would like to see the time spent in the promised upgrades. especially the lighting one.

Markie

milky

If you buy a new PC or laptop, it will come with Win10, not XP, so it is important that all programs are checked for compatibility with the latest OS. Furthermore, Microsoft have withdrawn support for XP, so, eventually, Ots must do the same.
OtsDJ           PDI = PAAA-BHVP,  PBQN-3658
S & L               PDI = PAAA-BK27 x 2
Studio             PDI = PAAA-BL38

sweet-lovelle

Speaking of Windows XP, the next release for OtsAV will very likely be the  last one supporting this old OS. If you haven't yet upgraded from XP we  strongly suggest you do, even if only for the security benefits alone.

Copy from the Ots email

markebenson

Hey guys!

I am actually running on windows 7 but my point was there is no difference in performance in any of the O.S. that I am aware of.  There was no difference  in operation when I upgraded from xp to 7 on my ots machine. And if I used windows 10 what would stop me from using Ots in compatibility mode?

Milky - I use Ots for commercial purposes as you do but I understand your point. I as a professional I buy a computer with no OS and install what OS I need.
In my opinion, Ots has been  catering to the startup dj market these days who will use what computer they have. I just don't know how It will be profitable for them to focus on this market.

Sweet Lovell - I have seen your message several times  about security on switching to windows 10 and how that will benefit me on this siteand on Facebook.  How will upgrading to windows 10 improve the security of my ots dj system via Dell e6410.
Please advise!

I need OTS to pay attention to my broadcast and nightclub interests. One of my colleagues just bought Ots tv and the "on air button is disabled. Why?  It works on the Dj pro version which is cheaper.  I need the lighting add on that was promised years ago for my clubs.  I offered to pay $500 (almost twice the price of my license) in a recent post  for a midi lighting code added to my license. No response!

Since then my tech has devised a system where I can add sub-audible tones to each song then a secondary computer interfaces that to midi then to light jockey.

I would rather pay Ots to listen to  client's needs :(

Thanks and Blessings to Jeff for all you do for us!

Markie

milky

Quote from: markebenson on August 04, 2015, 06:59:10 AM

I am actually running on windows 7 but my point was there is no difference in performance in any of the O.S. that I am aware of.  There was no difference  in operation when I upgraded from xp to 7 on my ots machine. And if I used windows 10 what would stop me from using Ots in compatibility mode?

There may be no discernible differences in operation, but, under the hood, there were vast differences in the way audio was handled between XP and the later OSs, and Ots Corp had to insert code into the program to cater for those differences. By supporting old versions, they perpetuate the code bloat necessary to cover all the differences, so it makes sense that they phase out support at some stage, and therefore trim off the redundant code.
OtsDJ           PDI = PAAA-BHVP,  PBQN-3658
S & L               PDI = PAAA-BK27 x 2
Studio             PDI = PAAA-BL38

Jumpin' Jeff

Yes, as Milky said, the OS has been refined over the years, Optimized for better performance, and Legacy code is being removed, and therefore no longer being supported by MS. Ots has to work with what is provided. If code they use is no longer available, or better code replaced older less efficient code, they tend to fix it.

The video overlay and audio chain are just 2 items that have changed between windows XP and Windows 10. Both becoming more efficient and smoother.
Jeff Main

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time. 
Abraham Lincoln

OtsAV license holder for life.
PDI: OtsAV TV Broadcaster PARC-KHY7

John Quincy

I noticed the latest setup file for OtsAV DJ 1.9x was actually a little smaller than the previous release. Probably due in part to the removal of some old code.

Jumpin' Jeff

Nice catch John! I had not noticed.
Jeff Main

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time. 
Abraham Lincoln

markebenson

Thanks guys i get it now.

Kudos to Ots  My girlfriend just got a pair of numark v7 and I have not had time to do the mapping yet so i put seratto for her to practics scrathcing. It takes 10 seconds to boot. Ots boots in one. Seratto sometimes will glitch on and mp3 file that it doesn't like. Ots - never.

Is it me? or I wrote this already and my post was deleted?   idk

Jumpin' Jeff

I haven't seen any previous posts in the Repository.
Jeff Main

Abraham Lincoln

Ed

My newest computer came with 8.1, and had a free upgrade to 10...I did not hesitate to upgrade! Gotta keep up with the times! :thumbsup:

markebenson

Let me know how it works out for you. I am trying 10 out on an experimental pc. I like to keep updated too but I prefer others prove the os to be good before I do it. Mainly because I got the shaft on Vista.

Jumpin' Jeff

I hear another new fast ring update has come out (Threshhold 1). I had turned off fast ring updates due to the video driver update being forced to my setup. I may have to revert back now, as I think I got that resolved.
Jeff Main

Abraham Lincoln