Full Circle...

Started by Mike Sinclair, July 31, 2015, 09:43:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Sinclair

So, I was a VERY early user of OTS. I bought OtsJuke back when it was like $59 ... I decided I wanted more control and features and I ended up going elsewhere. I think I've tried every piece of DJ software known to man... and quite extensively, I might add. You guys might recognize my name as I've posted a lot on here over the years and everyone has been VERY HELPFUL and PATIENT with me and many others with questions, OHML file help etc... I am very impressed with the level of courtesy on this board. Anyway, I ended up settling (or so I thought) on a new piece of tech (the Pioneer XDJ-RX) which is an "all-in-one" unit. When it works, it's amazing... but there's the problem... there are "ghosts in the machine" with that mixer. I have had it lock up and have to be re-started three times this "wedding season". The first time was testing it at home, second time was during dinner music a few weeks back and almost nobody was in the room, but last night, it happened right in the middle of dancing and I had to jump on the mic and say "Ladies and Gentlemen, my system has frozen... please bear with me while I restart." They were actually VERY cool about it. But me? Oh I was friggin' furious... without going into too much detail, I looked up the error code I got on Pioneer's webpage and it said solution is to re-load the mp3 onto the flash drive. This is incorrect info because after the "re-boot" the file that had locked it up played just fine (and had played fine for weeks). I literally had a "this is enough" moment. I know a lot of people wish OTS had more features like full looping and multiple cue points etc... but I'll tell you one thing. Over the years, the ONLY piece of DJ software that has literally NEVER locked up or given me any issues at all, has been OTS. I'm not willing to "gamble" on whether my system is going to work reliably or not. So, I will be returning to OTS in the next week or so. I wish I had never sold my original license (the one with free upgrades)... live & learn, I guess!

Jumpin' Jeff

Well Mike, I am sorry to hear of your problem, but happy to see you back! That is something I realized long ago.

Some here may know I also own a license of Virtual DJ, and although version 7 had issues, I've not experienced problems with version 8 as yet, but not yet comfortable enough to experiment with it live. Call me very nervous with it.
Jeff Main

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time. 
Abraham Lincoln

OtsAV license holder for life.
PDI: OtsAV TV Broadcaster PARC-KHY7

Darryl

I've been critical (as many others have) of the lack of innovation from Ots Labs in recent years, but I agree that reliability wise, Ots AV is extremely solid.  I trust it fully to just keep playing.  Of course, I don't trust my laptop not to break, or my mixer or anything else - so I have backup kit on hand just in case.
OtsAV: PDI PAAA-BFDR

Version 3.0.8.0 of the Karaoke Hoster is available now - http://sourceforge.net/projects/karaokehoster

Checkout my CDG Editor - repair badly ripped CDG Karaoke files with ease: http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdgeditor/

Now Playing in OtsAV - https://sourceforge.net/projects/nowplayinginots/ - Show your Windows Live Messenger contacts what you are listening to in OtsAV.

Jigger

I agree with Jeff & Darryl Ots has never let me down, I know a lot of people want a lot more features, some would be welcome but realistically you want a solid platform to play music and videos. Ots has given me that for 14 years, oh dear where has the time gone.
Ron
PDI PAAA-BE42 x 2 OtsAV Pro
PDI PBQ4-BH3P x 1 OtsAV Pro

Mike Sinclair

And, how weird is the timing? I decided to get back into OTS and the next day I get an email about a 20% off sale. That was interesting. I wish the decks could be bigger without having to mess with screen resolution in Windows. But, again... stability is top notch. I won't sweat the small stuff (get it? small, like decks are too small... sorry, one of those days...) LOL

Dr.J

I still have a few licenses I'm holding, including free upgrades, if you're interested.

markebenson

I'm looking for broadcast tv if anyone let me know
!

scott hanna

I too have been critical of ots. The fact is most djs believe Ots has considerably less features, and are much more expensive than other popular brand, because the other allows use on 2 machines.

Sadly, my djs have begged me to Let them use VDJ. Hard to argue when the ots upgrade costs more than new licenses that includes upgrades. ($189x2 upgrade ...vs.....$329 new license)

I don't mind paying more for things....as long as they can demonstrate better value. Working on a karaoke update for 9 years does not demonstrate value. It demonstrates laziness.

However, I still love ots. I'm not sure if because I'm so used to it, but I'm much more comfortable with it. None of my djs have reported any issues with VDJ. But I've yet to use it at a gig. I've played with it. Like some things. Some other things I find difficult. In the past, when playing with VDJ, I've had lock ups, so never used it at a gig. I've not had lock ups recently, but like Jeff, don't feel comfortable.  Ots is rock solid.

I love the search on the latest ots. Love how it sorts by plays.

When I converted my ots albums to MP3, VDJ didn't pick up the tag information, so most of the songs are listed as PROMOONLY03120501 or something like that. I can open the file in and see the tags in the properties, but they didn't get picked up. I'm assuming that's VDJ's fault.

I ended up buying a few more ots licenses when they were on discount to put on the VDJ machines so I can use those computers if I want. I was also lucky enough to win more 2 licenses in their raffle.

So I ain't switching. I'm just afraid their customer base of new djs will go to nothing and dj updates will get even slower .if that's possible ...because they've determined that there is no market for djs any more.
Scott Hanna
PBXS-JHBZ, PASB-3WXR, PAHZ-AMGR, PAGA-6HLJ

2 ots silver, 1 ots pro, 1 extra studio, karaoke

Mike Sinclair

Quote from: Dr.J on August 02, 2015, 07:04:16 AM
I still have a few licenses I'm holding, including free upgrades, if you're interested.

Dr J - I sent you a message.

markebenson

Quote from: scott hanna on August 04, 2015, 01:51:51 PM
I too have been critical of ots. The fact is most djs believe Ots has considerably less features, and are much more expensive than other popular brand, because the other allows use on 2 machines.

Sadly, my djs have begged me to Let them use VDJ. Hard to argue when the ots upgrade costs more than new licenses that includes upgrades. ($189x2 upgrade ...vs.....$329 new license)

I don't mind paying more for things....as long as they can demonstrate better value. Working on a karaoke update for 9 years does not demonstrate value. It demonstrates laziness.

However, I still love ots. I'm not sure if because I'm so used to it, but I'm much more comfortable with it. None of my djs have reported any issues with VDJ. But I've yet to use it at a gig. I've played with it. Like some things. Some other things I find difficult. In the past, when playing with VDJ, I've had lock ups, so never used it at a gig. I've not had lock ups recently, but like Jeff, don't feel comfortable.  Ots is rock solid.

I would care less abouit what "most dj's" think. "Most djs" here on the space coast will work for next to nothing to take a night. Us professionals just do our own thing and make good money doing it. If you can't afford $300 for software, what the hell are you going to do for a sound system, not to mention promotions for your gig.

I love the search on the latest ots. Love how it sorts by plays.

When I converted my ots albums to MP3, VDJ didn't pick up the tag information, so most of the songs are listed as PROMOONLY03120501 or something like that. I can open the file in and see the tags in the properties, but they didn't get picked up. I'm assuming that's VDJ's fault.

I ended up buying a few more ots licenses when they were on discount to put on the VDJ machines so I can use those computers if I want. I was also lucky enough to win more 2 licenses in their raffle.

So I ain't switching. I'm just afraid their customer base of new djs will go to nothing and dj updates will get even slower .if that's possible ...because they've determined that there is no market for djs any more.

Mike Sinclair

I guess my original post in this thread is moot now. I am back with Serato DJ with a gorgeous new Macbook Pro. OTS will always hold a special place in my heart and I'm keeping my one license on a windows laptop as a backup.

markebenson

"Sadly, my djs have begged me to Let them use VDJ. Hard to argue when the ots upgrade costs more than new licenses that includes upgrades. ($189x2 upgrade ...vs.....$329 new license)"

If cost is an issue why would you buy a new Macbook Pro when any $300 windows laptop will exceed the requirements to Dj these days?

Lane

I would never buy a $300 laptop to do DJing with.
It's all just programming :P

Ed

Hmmm, I have a $300 HP laptop with 16 meg of ram Lane, I have used it with Ots about 3 times DJing and never had an issue with it. Maybe it will the next time, but seriously doubt it.

milky

I think Lane's point is, if you buy light weight equipment, and you use it in high-stress situations like DJing every day, it will fail. You wouldn't buy a domestic mower to mow a football field every week, because it would shake to pieces in only a few uses. The guts of a cheap laptop may very well be the same as a well-built model (although I doubt it), but the rest of the build quality, like the keyboard, mouse pad, lid hinges etc are just not the same and will fail long before its use-by date is up.

I have a very cheap laptop I use purely to remote into my otsbox from my sitting/playing position in the studio. Apart from a few key strokes and mouse strokes, it does very little extra work, and meets the requirement perfectly. However, I would not dream of using it at a gig except in the most extreme of emergency situations.
OtsDJ           PDI = PAAA-BHVP,  PBQN-3658
S & L               PDI = PAAA-BK27 x 2
Studio             PDI = PAAA-BL38