How to handle requests

Started by Tog, July 27, 2015, 01:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tog

Hi Folks

Just wondered how you handle requests that you know won't go down well with the music you are playing and the annoying person that keep persisting you play it.

I was doing a gig Saturday for a combined 40th and 50th birthday they asked for lots of older tunes to be played which I was glad to do as I am 45 myself. Halfway through the night everyone was up and dancing and enjoying themselves when this young girl came up (she said she was 22) and asked for a particular track. I was a bit unsure but played it anyway and everyone cleared the dance floor. After I got everyone up again she came up and requested another one. This time I told her I didn't have it. she kept begging it to be played and could I download it from you tube. After explaining I couldn't because I have to have the Wi-Fi turned off and we were in the middle of no-where so I couldn't get a connection she went off in a hump. she came back half an later with the tune on her phone and said could I play it now. I said "have you got a lead then so I can download it from you phone" in which replied no. After telling her that was a waste of time and i wasn't going to download it anyway from a unknown source she got very argumentative saying my music sucked. After pointing out all the people on the dance floor where enjoying themselves and if she could do better that she could do the next event she burst in to tears and went off never to be seen again. I might went a little over the top with her in the end but she was really getting on my nerves. the same sort of thing happened at a wedding I did where the Bride and Groom chose the playlist themselves. A women came up requesting a song and didn't seem to understand that I was only allowed to play songs requested by the Bride and groom.  Just wondered how other people handle this Situation. After the party loads of people came up to me and said they really enjoyed themselves. It was so annoying about this young girl, just think she is use of getting her own way all of the time.

Anyway here is the full play list and a good night was had by all (Except 1)

Chris Rea - Auberge (4:38)
Pharrell Williams - Happy (3:52)
Taylor Swift - Shake It Off (3:34)
Olly Murs - Dance With Me Tonight (3:20)
All Saints - Under The Bridge (4:57)
A-Ha - Take On Me (3:35)
Coolio Featuring L.V. - Gangsta's Paradise (3:56)
Mark Morrison - Return Of The Mack (3:23)
Alanis Morrisette - Hand in my Pocket (3:33)
Maroon 5 - One More Night (3:38)
Britney Spears - Baby One More Time (3:29)
Ace Of Base - All That She Wants (3:26)
Shanice - I Love Your Smile (Driza Bone Remix) (3:46)
East 17 - Deep (Breath Mix) (3:54)
Black Eyed Peas - Where Is The Love (4:27)
Beats International - Dub Be Good To Me (5:17)
Shaggy & Feat Rikok - It Wasn't Me (3:44)
Blue Lagoon - Break My Stride (2:58)
Eternal Feat. BeBe Winans - I Wanna Be The Only One (3:34)
Soul II Soul - Back To Life (7:33)
Ini Kamoze - Here Comes The Hotstepper (3:56)
Will Smith - Switch (3:13)
Run DMC Feat Aerosmith - Walk This Way (5:09)
House Of Pain - Jump Around (3:29)
James Brown - Get Up, I Feel Like A Sex Machine (4:10)
Kool & The Gang - Jungle Boogie (3:01)
Shannon - Let The Music Play (3:29)
Indeep - Last Night A DJ Saved My Life (4:37)
Chic - Good Times (8:00)
Erasure - A Little Respect (3:24)
Mark Ronson feat. Bruno Mars - Uptown Funk (4:27)
Daft Punk - Get Lucky (4:03)
DJ Cassidy feat. Robin Thicke & Jessie J - Calling All Hearts (4:42)
Justin Timberlake - SexyBack (3:57)
Cameo - Word Up (4:10)
Michael Jackson - Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough (2003 Edit) (3:53)
Blondie - Heart Of Glass (4:03)
Human League - Don't You Want Me (3:53)
Fleetwood Mac - Everywhere [ABM 1] (3:37)
Whitney Houston - I Wanna Dance With Somebody (4:43)
Madonna - Into The Groove (4:25)
Debarge - Rhythm Of The Night (3:45)
Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Relax (3:51)
M People - Moving On Up (3:29)
Take That - Relight My Fire (4:03)
Snap - Rhythm Is A Dancer (3:38)
Technotronic Feat. Felly - Pump Up The Jam (3:32)
Cornershop - Brimful Of Asha (Norman Cook Remix) (3:57)
Deee-Lite - Groove Is In The Heart (3:51)
Jess Glynne - Hold My Hand (3:43)
Robin Thicke feat. Pharrell - Blurred Lines (3:44)
CeeLo Green - Forget You (3:39)
Maroon 5 - Moves Like Jagger (3:20)
LMC vs U2 - Take Me To The Clouds Above (2:45)
Alexandra Stan - Mr Saxobeat (2:29)
Yolanda Be Cool And D Cup - We No Speak Americano (2:10)
Black Eyed Peas - I Gotta Feeling (4:03)
Salt N Pepa - Push It (4:27)
Run DMC vs Jason Nevins - It's Like That (4:08)
Beastie Boys - Fight For Your Right To Party (3:21)
ZZ Top - Gimme All Your Lovin' (3:56)
Sheila & B.Devotion - Spacer (5:52)
Rick James - Super Freak (3:21)
Mc Hammer - U Can't Touch This (4:11)
B-52's - Love Shack (5:16)
Bryan Adams - Summer Of '69 (3:21)
Soft Cell - Tainted Love (2:37)
Supergrass - Alright (2:55)
Boo Radleys - Wake Up Boo! (3:02)
Bon Jovi - You Give Love A Bad Name (3:36)
ACDC - You Shook Me All Night Long (Album Version) (3:28)
Moby - Go (3:34)
Faithless - Insomnia (3:30)
Darude - Sandstorm (3:42)
Morecambe & Wise - Bring Me Sunshine (1:50)

Darryl

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but never all of the people all of the time.

I've had similar experiences.  Don't let it bother you - if they dance and you continue to get bookings, you are doing something right.
OtsAV: PDI PAAA-BFDR

Version 3.0.8.0 of the Karaoke Hoster is available now - http://sourceforge.net/projects/karaokehoster

Checkout my CDG Editor - repair badly ripped CDG Karaoke files with ease: http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdgeditor/

Now Playing in OtsAV - https://sourceforge.net/projects/nowplayinginots/ - Show your Windows Live Messenger contacts what you are listening to in OtsAV.

clover-leaf-productions

The instant gratification, I'm entitled generation grows larger everyday.  It is important as professional entertainers that we educate our audiences that we are not their personal MP3 player.  They can not push our nose, and instantly expect a song to pop out, because they want it.
Cheers,
Brian
Dayton, Ohio, USA

www.clover-leaf-productions.com

DJArt (Baby Boomer DJ)

I don't have a problem with letting the requestor know that their tune does not fall within the songs that have been pre-selected by the client.  If it was one that I knew would "bust" the floor, I would ask if there would be another by the same artist.  Usually, they can't think of another, so I'm good for a time.  Sometimes one has to do exactly what you did in the example you provided.

DJ Postie

good selection Tog that covers all tastes of music - very hard to please everyone - if you keep the majority happy that will work - there will always be one person that will be hard to please at any gig - happy days
Port Douglas Audio Visual
Entertaining Tropical Far North Queensland since 1989
Port Douglas, Queensland
Australia
www.pdav.com.au

OtsAV DJ Pro-Classic+ PAAA-BE4K (2 users)
OtsAV DJ Pro 1.85 PAP9-H1BN (1 user)
Breakaway DJ

Console 1 & 2 (STILL USING Denon HC-4500 & Denon DN-X500 - old school mode)
Backup system (IPAD AIR & DJAY with Pioneer DDJ-WEGO3 controller)

Jumpin' Jeff

Tell her to plug n her headphones, and listen to it on her phone. She could join everyone else dancing on the dance floor dancing to her own drum. ;)
Jeff Main

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time. 
Abraham Lincoln

OtsAV license holder for life.
PDI: OtsAV TV Broadcaster PARC-KHY7

DICEDJ

Having struggled with this problem for years just like the rest. However a few years back at a wedding I was staggered when at the beginning of the evening the DJ came out onto the main floor and set out how the evening would progress.

Starting with the youngest, then the oldest and so on mapping out the entire evening and explaining that the B&G had chosen the music for night. Whether they had or not.

One of the best wedding parties I have ever been to.

Andy
OtsDJ Pro 1.75 [with free upgrades to 2.0]    PAWQ-AAHJ, PAAA-BHQZ, PAAA-BK5L, PAAA-BK5J,
PAZY-AXH1
Video Module  PBMZ-MF6T, Boombox  PB18-J4XQ
S&L  PACS-TPLG

markebenson

Put a sign Up

Next is $25.

If I didn't play your request, ask for a better song!