Ots test

Started by Andyb, April 20, 2015, 12:25:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andyb

Hi all
when I am playing video on my extenion monitor ie projector, the video is switching between what I am playing and the ots test card page, it has previously been perfect and has started doing it suddenly. Any suggestions?
Thanks all.

Jumpin' Jeff

Is it re-syncing to A?
Could be a video driver issue, it could be too large a difference between your video output resolution and the display resolution. If the video has to be scaled a great deal, the recalculated pixels will take the GPU longer to transcode.

What is your video card by chance?
Jeff Main

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time. 
Abraham Lincoln

OtsAV license holder for life.
PDI: OtsAV TV Broadcaster PARC-KHY7

Andyb

I have no idea what the video card is. I will try updating the driver. The rest of what you said went straight over my head lol. It has been fine until today, I have restarted the software and the laptop several times but still doing it.
Thanks

Jumpin' Jeff

LOL.
Basically Andy, the closer to one to one you are with the input and output, the less your GPU will struggle keeping up. The more pixels you have to convert, the more work that needs to be done overall.

If your resolution is 480 (SD), then your monitor output should be a multiple of this. Say 960 for instans as a simple doubling of the input. For every line of resolution, the GPU will output 2 lines. Obviously, it will be difficult to find a display with 960 lines of resolution however, so it's not going to be that simple. I have a monitor that is 1440x900, one that is 1680x1050, and another with standard resolution of 1920x1080.

From the chart above, they do make monitors with 1440x960 resolution that should display SD video perfectly at 2x without putting too much strain on the GPU. In the case of my 900 line screen, I would end up losing 60 lines, likely 30 top and 30 bottom, or it would try to scale it which will force the GPU to recalculate pixels on every other line to merge 2 lines into one, smoothing between them. Essentially, if a perfect multiplication factor of 2, each pixel in a 480 SD image will become 4 pixels scaled to the 960 display. With Ots pumping out 60 images a second, the GPU is working harder and harder as your input resolution increases, and translation to your monitor output is not an even multiple of the input. Imagine how much work it will be to transcode 4 and 8 k videos in the future....
Jeff Main

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time. 
Abraham Lincoln

OtsAV license holder for life.
PDI: OtsAV TV Broadcaster PARC-KHY7