Electro Voice ETX Series

Started by Mike Sinclair, March 18, 2014, 09:25:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Sinclair

Is anyone eyeballing the new ETX line from EV? I'm hearing from people who saw them at NAMM that they are incredible. A little on the heavy side, but supposedly in a league of their own. They should be out within a month. I'm seriously considering a pair of the 12's. I would try one of their subwoofers, but the lighter of the two is 92 pounds! That's more than this aging DJ can handle. That's the 15" sub, the 18" weighs 130 lbs! I'll bet they are beasts though.

http://www.electrovoice.com/etx/

DJArt (Baby Boomer DJ)

I have an 18" Yorkville (Active) LS801PB (1500 watts) that weighs in at 137 lbs.  Monster sub but handles like a two-wheel dolly.  Has thump you wouldn't believe.

Mike Sinclair

I have heard good things about Yorkville. The new EV subs are 1800 watts, 134 SPL. I think I might try the pair of 12" tops and see if I can get by without a sub. I only do weddings, average crowd of about 120 people. I am currently using 2 QSC K12's and one K Sub.

DJArt (Baby Boomer DJ)

For smaller weddings (100 people) I use only the two Yorkville NX750PB (750 watt) (Active).  Previously the RCF ART Series 12" 200A and 15" sub ART 800A were used for 100-150 person wedding.  I now use the ART 200's for Ceremony and side fill with the York tops at 300-400 person events (formal military ball for example).  Occasionally I will take the two RCF 15" subs (400 watt ea.) and couple them together at center of DJ table with the Yorkville NX750 PB tops with the internal crossover set at 90 vs. 40.

For adult parties and Sweet 16 and Elementary School Dances I use the Yorkville tops (NX750PB) and the single Yorkville LS801PB 18" sub.

I'll have to give the ETX Line a look.

Glen J. Millar

I currently own 3 complete sets of ELX 115P and ELX 118P and am planning on getting 5 complete sets of the ETX 15's and ETX 18's over the next 18 months.

I love the sound of my ELX's and suspect the ETX's will blow not just me, but my clients away.

As it is, I get lots of positive comments on my ELX speakers from clients and guests, and even from those who say they are audiophiles.

I do weddings from 40 people to 800 people, sometimes on the same weekend.

DJArt (Baby Boomer DJ)

Sounds like you're a multi-op service.  Thanks for the advice.  I'll check them out when I can find a local area distributor/showcase.

BJ

Mike
I tried my new k12's for the first time last night. Man was I surprised, great crisp clean sound with plenty of bass, but I would expect that from qsc. I remember when I switched from peavy amps to qsc back when I was using passive speakers at how clean the power was. I also have 2 jbl eon 15" (older models) that serve me well but not even close to the k12's. I started out with EV 15" 3 way with two EV Subs on wheels. Through the years I have lightened the load so to speak to what I have today. For what I do haven't needed subs.

Mike Sinclair

While researching speakers, I stumbled across the Italian-made brands RCF & FBT. I was going to order a pair of RCF HD12a's but the sales guy talked me into FBT ProMaxX 14a's, so I bought them. I took them to a bridal expo where a crosstown DJ had the RCF's. At the end of the expo, we took turns playing a few tunes loudly and I couldn't believe how much cleaner his sounded. Plus, there was a good amount of bass rolling out of his booth. So, I struck up a convo about what he had going on and found out there was NO Driverack, NO subs, just those tops. So, he offered to let me go over and do an A/B comparison at his place. I did that two days ago and, hands down, the RCF's sounded better than the FBT's... MUCH cleaner and clearer. (on paper this shouldn't be the case, but hearing is believing). He had QSC K12's also and we compared the K12 to both. The RCF sounded better by quite a margin. So, I put the fbt's on eBay and ordered the RCF's. No disrespect to K12 owners (I used to be one) but the HD12a bullies the K12! I also learned a lesson, don't listen to SALES people. The one I talked to definitely never a/b'd these two speakers. I'm an RCF fanboy now.

Dj Buik

I always listen to speakers before i buy some. Nothing can beat your own ears. And music and sound is a personal taste.

Never trust sales. Sales people always sell stuf with the most margin.
Dj Buik, Netherlands (PAAA-BFAJ, PADQ-QAAN, PAES-37QS and PB7S-AD6J)

DJArt (Baby Boomer DJ)

I still have a matched RCF set of Active speakers/subs; RCF ART200A (12") and ART800A (15" sub).  They still sound great...bought them in 1999.  I don't use the 15" subs any more because they are heavy; however, I use the RCF tops for wedding ceremony and small to medium venue.  I have an 18" Yorkville Active subwoofer (1500 watts) that I use he 12" RCF on occasion.  But most of the time it's the Yorkville NX750PB tops (15" 750 Watt ea.) with the Active Yorkville LS801PB 18" subwoofer.
The clarity of the RCF's is unmistakably noticeable...and the 12" LF does sound like a 15" model.

Darryl

I've worked in venues with the small RCF 8" speakers dotted around the venue - they had a very good sound.
OtsAV: PDI PAAA-BFDR

Version 3.0.8.0 of the Karaoke Hoster is available now - http://sourceforge.net/projects/karaokehoster

Checkout my CDG Editor - repair badly ripped CDG Karaoke files with ease: http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdgeditor/

Now Playing in OtsAV - https://sourceforge.net/projects/nowplayinginots/ - Show your Windows Live Messenger contacts what you are listening to in OtsAV.

Nicolee

I use the Yamaha DSR range of loudspeakers, I have a combination DSR112's and DSR215's along with 2 DSR118's. The sound is amazing, the bass from the DSR118's is chest crushing. I did look at the QSC KSUB and a combination of K10 and K12's but found they couldn't reach to same SPL levels I was looking for using in larger venues.

I can't really comment on the ElectroVoice, but have heard they are pretty good.
PDI's :

OtsAV Pro : PAAA-BF4B (OtsJuke since Nov 2000)
OtsAV Pro : PAB5-KQL8 (OtsAV Pro)