Anyone controlling OTSAV remotely on a tablet?

Started by mikehende, March 07, 2013, 09:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikehende

If yes, which model tablet are you using please and can you give a review on how it works with latency in particular and also the connection type you are using? Reason I'm asking is since summer will be here soon enough, I will want to sit in my yard while hanging out on the weekend and be able to control OTSAV from a small device so I am thinking a tablet would be the best option for this since the screen may be big enough for me to see the entire OTSAV interface? Also, I have internet connection out there so I can use Teamviewer for the connection, the range I need away from my rig would be only 50' at max.

milky

My son has a Motorola Xoom, which runs under Android. If you have wifi connectivity to your internet, you can download the VNC app which lets you connect to another PC and control it remotely. Response is very good - not instant, but close to it. My only gripe is, without a mouse, the ability to select tracks etc is a bit fiddly. BTW, the same app will work on any smart phone, and you can zoom in on the text.
OtsDJ           PDI = PAAA-BHVP,  PBQN-3658
S & L               PDI = PAAA-BK27 x 2
Studio             PDI = PAAA-BL38

mikehende

Thanks for the advice, will definitely look into it. I had thought about upgrading to the latest Samsung Galaxy for this purpose as it is a bigger phone but I am worried that it may still be awkward to type and select tunes?

milky

My son also had a Samsung Note ll, and can run VNC in that too. They all suffer the same problem, including my Motorola smart phone. For instance, to bring up one of the context menus (right click), you have to touch with two fingers, one slightly behind the other. We still use it, and it is way better than having to go inside to start, stop, pause etc, but it is just a bit tricky to get to some options in a program that was designed for a mouse pointer. Hence my comment in another thread about Windows 8 being touch screen oriented.  

Actually, I said before you need wifi to the internet. So long as your Ots box has a fixed IP adress (or a share name), you can access it across a provate network without internet connectivity. I've tried Teamviewer and also Logmein. Both will let you control the PC from the other side of the world if you so desire, but the response is a lot slower than VNC connected locally.

djba

I posted this about a year ago but haven't looked at it since.  As I recall it worked pretty well.

http://www.otsusers.com/forum/index.php?topic=13163.0
Bill Andre
Great Oldies DJ
Woodstock, Georgia, USA
greatoldiesdj@gmail.com
http://greatoldiesdj.com

mikehende

I've been controlling OTS for a  few years now with a Snapstream remote from 75' only to play, pause, next or previous tracks but I need something to mainly search and cue songs and I am not sure the small screen of any phone will do that justice. I had tried using a phone years ago too but the latency was terrible and navigating around the screen was a major pain which is why I am looking into using a tablet.

djba

Hi again,

I didn't read your initial post closely enough. I see now what you are trying to do. I have an Asus tablet.  I will download TeamViewer and see how that works. 
Bill Andre
Great Oldies DJ
Woodstock, Georgia, USA
greatoldiesdj@gmail.com

milky

Quote from: djba on March 08, 2013, 02:29:44 AM
Hi again,

I didn't read your initial post closely enough. I see now what you are trying to do. I have an Asus tablet.  I will download TeamViewer and see how that works. 

Anything which needs to go through the internet to a server and back out again is bound to be slower than a direct wifi connection via something like (free) VNC.

mikehende

Quote from: djba on March 08, 2013, 02:29:44 AM
Hi again, I didn't read your initial post closely enough. I see now what you are trying to do. I have an Asus tablet.  I will download TeamViewer and see how that works. 

Hi, yes, please inform me of your results, thanks.

Milky, I am not sure that vnc will work better than wireless net connection since I had used a Palm device years ago with vnc and as mentioned, latency was terrible but now with faster and more updated software maybe things have changed? Best thing would be to try BOTH to see which performs better but there is almost zero latency with Teamviewer when remotely controlling another pc in my experience.

djba

Hi again,

I have had a chance to play around with TeamViewer and I have some good news and I have some bad news.

First let me say that I am using an Asus Transformer which is a 10" Android tablet.

The good news is that Teamviewer connected very easily enabling me to control my PC from the tablet. Once connected I had a small version of my desktop on the tablet. It took a few minutes to get the hang of controlling the mouse especially for tasks like draging songs from the library to the playlist. After I got the hang of it (double click and hold)  was able to drag things pretty easily. One of the control features that made it very easy to select specific songs was the pinch movement that zooms the screen in and out.

Now for the bad news. I assume the latency you are asking about is the time delay between the tablet and the PC. For some tasks there was a pretty big delay (a couple of seconds).  This was for tasks like opening the OMQL menu. It sems like the delay time was much shorter for things like clicking play or pause.

Let me know if there are other things you would like me to try.
Bill Andre
Great Oldies DJ
Woodstock, Georgia, USA
greatoldiesdj@gmail.com

mikehende

Cool, thanks for the update, can you try the VNC Milky mentioned to see if it works better than Teamviewer? Also, "my" main purposes for using a tablet would be to both type a search for tunes to load in the playlist or switch categories but mainly the typing of the tunes I will be searching for will be my key issue.

djba

Hi again,

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. I have tried Jump Desktop, Android-vnc-viewer, Pocket Cloud Remote,and Splashtop Streamer. I was only able to get a couple of them to work and the ones that I did made TeamViewer look like a lightening bolt. They were super slow. From what I have seen, I think Teamviewer is the way to go.

Milky, if you know the name of the VNC program that your son uses, if you will post it here I will try to test it.
Bill Andre
Great Oldies DJ
Woodstock, Georgia, USA
greatoldiesdj@gmail.com

mikehende

Thanks for the update, yes, I think you are correct here, best you try what Milky's son has used to finally know which is best for this purpose.

DJ M

I have a galaxy note 10.1 and have a free app called Jump that enables me to mirror my laptop desktop onto my tablet. I have to say it works pretty well. There is obviously some screen delay but its minimal. Ive only tried it at home though and it does need wifi.

The great thing about the note 10.1 is the s pen. Much easier than fingers!
PDI's:
PAAA-BGB2 - OTSDJ Pro
PBDT-EJYD - OTSDJ Pro
PAVK-4212 - OTS Boombox
PAVS-7Z1C - OTS Video Module
PBWW-XNY4 - OTS Karaoke Module

Let The Music Take Control Of Your Body

mikehende

are you able to type tunes in the search window and load songs easily?