How do you hook up your video montors?

Started by DJMartin, September 03, 2012, 09:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJMartin

For an upcoming event I need to display a slide show while playing music. Now I was wondering how you guys did setup your video equipment.

Considering running OTS from a notebook, these day they usually have a VGA output (which I use at the moment to test the slideshow and ticker), some do have a DVI in addition or instead of the VGA. Some models come with a VGA and Displayport connecter, where you can hook up either DVI or HDMI monitors using an adapter cable.

I thought about using two 27" computer monitors using VGA or DVI (with a splitter, possibly amplified) or shall I go with two 32" TV's using HDMI cables?

What are your experiances and what do you suggest to use? Ideas are appreciated.
PAAA-BHZM / OtsAV DJ Pro-Classic+ 1.85 [with free upgrades to 2.0] / Qty. 5
PBS5-QX61 / OtsAV DJ Pro 1.85 / Qty. 1
PBE5-Z892 / OtsAV DJ Pro 1.85 / Qty. 1
Working with OTS over 10 Years

discodonal.com

I use HDMI and would not bother with VGA. Long cables are really cheap now. Also carries sound and picture which I have found handy a few times. Ticker looks really smooth on Ots.

Jumpin' Jeff

I like VGA myself, but then again, I have no other choices at the moment. At the events I provide video to, they only have VGA input to their AV system. I plug into a wall VGA and audio jack, and configure thier AV system, and I'm done. The place has 3 overhead projectors and screens, and a Bose sound system mounted in the rafters. It's a sweet setup to play at. I actually run out of my PC to a VGA 4 port splitter that feeds the wall VGA port, and 2 other displays for guests that sit under the screens that can't see them.
Jeff Main

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time. 
Abraham Lincoln

OtsAV license holder for life.
PDI: OtsAV TV Broadcaster PARC-KHY7

MusicmadUK

DJMartin

Kev, the VGA extenders you link to do look very interesting indeed. Two functions in one. When two screens are close, then use the local box only, when there are two other screens little bit away, go with the RJ-45 cable and use the remote box. Need to check where I can order them.

Best will be if I look out for a monitor which has VGA, DVI and HDMI connectors. Hold on, aren't there cable adaptors for DVI to HDMI and vice versa? Need to check.

What would you say about screen size of 27" mounted on a vertical truss and on top is a moving head? I saw some setups like that and I do like it. 27" is not that big and people must go little closer to look at the pictures. There is anyway the chance to use a beamer for larger display.

Darryl

Hdmi and dvi are interchangeable with adapters (allegedly). I've not tried it personally. Most venues I play that have tvs need a composite video signal. I've found the knaan hdmi to composite adapter works quite well for that purpose. Avoid VGA to composite adapters in Europe because VGA does not support 50hz so video will be jerky (especially the ticker).
OtsAV: PDI PAAA-BFDR

Version 3.0.8.0 of the Karaoke Hoster is available now - http://sourceforge.net/projects/karaokehoster

Checkout my CDG Editor - repair badly ripped CDG Karaoke files with ease: http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdgeditor/

Now Playing in OtsAV - https://sourceforge.net/projects/nowplayinginots/ - Show your Windows Live Messenger contacts what you are listening to in OtsAV.

DJMartin

I'm considering to exchange the production laptop, an old Lenovo T42 (Intel Centrino running XP Pro) with a Lenovo X220 (Intel i5 with Xin7 Pro). The next days I'm going to transfer one of the licenses over to that one and do tests with 1.90 OTS.

What I want to test is for sure the video part. The built in Intel HD adapter might not be rocket science, but can drive the internal display, a VGA port and the displayport, eventually in parallel. I bought adapters transforming the displayport to DVI or HDMI. I'll let you know how good this tiny little notebook will handle it.

milky

Don't be disappointed for a few extra dollars. Go i7 with separate video processor/memory. You will NEVER have skipping, sluggish performance or flickering video.
OtsDJ           PDI = PAAA-BHVP,  PBQN-3658
S & L               PDI = PAAA-BK27 x 2
Studio             PDI = PAAA-BL38