Another DMX lighting question...

Started by Mike Sinclair, August 18, 2012, 04:35:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Sinclair

I'm seriously considering myDMX from ADJ. I currently have a laptop with only 2 USB inputs (they're 3.0 but I know that doesn't matter for what we do). Anyway, right now I'm using one port for the Denon controller and the other port for my wireless mouse. I would obviously need another usb port for myDMX dongle. If I bought a splitter (or hub) would that hurt the signal or no? Would I be better off ditching the mouse and using the touchpad?

Jumpin' Jeff

At one point with My Laptop, it had 4 USB ports clustered together, I had 6 USB devices plugged into it if I recall I had these 6 devices plugged into a 7 port hub, and then only used a single port on the laptop. I had a trackball, Light Jockey interface, USB Soundblaster card, USB to serial for my serial X10 remote control, and a USB wireless G network adapter. Ok, so maybe it was only those 5. I can't think of anything else I had conected.

The point is with the right hub, it should work OK. I like Belkin and Targus 7 port hubs personally.
Jeff Main

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time. 
Abraham Lincoln

OtsAV license holder for life.
PDI: OtsAV TV Broadcaster PARC-KHY7

Mike Sinclair

Nice! That's what I wanted to hear. So, it sounds like using the mouse along with the myDMX dongle would be OK (or the mouse with the Denon and let myDMX have its own) either way... thanks Jeff.

Nicolee

To be fair as Jeff says it will be fine, none of the items you suggest will be using that much bandwidth across the port.

If you were using a HD and something such as a capture card or digital tv card on the same port then that would be a cause for concern as the latter two would need lots of bandwidth and a low latency.

PDI's :

OtsAV Pro : PAAA-BF4B (OtsJuke since Nov 2000)
OtsAV Pro : PAB5-KQL8 (OtsAV Pro)

Mike Sinclair

Solution to my problem: I now use MyDMX 2.0 for my lights and an iPad app called Easy Remote (which basically maps buttons to the corresponding buttons in MyDMX software). It's wireless and works great! The beauty is, MyDMX can be running in the background, so DJ software can always be up front on the laptop!  :thumbsup:

Here's a video a guy put on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G90AVO5IFPY

discodonal.com

Why not wait for Ots to implement Lighting Control????

Mike Sinclair

Quote from: discodonal.com on August 20, 2013, 10:08:02 PM
Why not wait for Ots to implement Lighting Control????

because I need something now. No disrespect to Ots, but how long will that be? I still can't use my MC6000 with Ots and it's been years waiting for that, so I need to find solutions that work now. If and when Ots implements Lighting Control, I'll check it out.