'Complimentary' documentation? Really? This is a problem.

Started by Galager, August 08, 2012, 09:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galager

:ask_wsign:
It is ridiculous that they would give us 'complimentary' partial documentation.  What is complimentary about it?

I have 2 laptops.  One with 1.90 and one with 1.85.  I upgraded the first to 1.90 on the assumption that the documentation would be updated and complete as well.  When I realized it wasn't and I realized that there were many parts of 1.90 that I didn't understand I didn't upgrade my second machine.  I need at least one machine that I can use with confidence while DJing.

The problem is the machine with 1.85 was purchased in the time period where you would get a free upgrade to 1.90 when it was released.  I know there is a finite window of time in which I am allowed to use the free upgrade to 1.90.  If they don't get complete documentation available before that deadline arrives then I will have to choose.  Do I want to upgrade and take my chances that I can figure out 1.90 well enough to use it in a wedding or do I continue to use 1.85, a program I know very well and love, and pay AGAIN for 1.90 when the documentation is finally released allowing me the ability to learn all the ins and outs of that program.
So what did I pick 'Galager' as my profile name?  Hell if I know.  Maybe it was the morphine...

Jumpin' Jeff

I think a more proper term would have been supplimental. It complements (Completes, or makes whole), adding to the existing documentation, and as Adam mentioned complimentary means free, and of course that wasn't the intended use of the word, it is also that.
http://www.otsusers.com/forum/index.php?topic=13429.msg134963#msg134963

edit:[Milky] Fixed a typo
Jeff Main

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time. 
Abraham Lincoln

OtsAV license holder for life.
PDI: OtsAV TV Broadcaster PARC-KHY7

Glen J. Millar

Yes like Jeff said, think of the documentation as an Amendment vs. complimentary. It is like a company doing an amendment to a Service Manual to update new options or features instead of redoing the whole manual at great expense in both man hours and production costs.

Galager

I would agree if the 'amendment' or 'supplement' explained ALL the changes but it is far from that.  There are glaring holes and I am frightened I will be forced to choose to continue using 1.85 and let my free 1.90 upgrade expire only to repurchase it at a later date when everything is properly documented allowing me to actually figure out many of the major features and minor nuances that are not addressed. 

I will give you an example of something I can't figure out.  Maybe you can show me where on the complimentary documentation I can find the answer.  I need to remove over a thousand unavailable albums.  I used to do that through the query drop box.  No query drop box.  No instructions on how to remove unavailable albums.  No clue what to do.

Yes, I am a bit frustrated because I was so looking forward to 1.90 and had every plan to upgrade the moment I could.  I really love this program.  It is just frustrating not being able to use something you love and something you have looked forward to for a long time.  I REALLY want to make this work but I have sooo many questions (way too many for the forums... you would see 20 new posts a day if I did) and now have a new roadblock preventing me from upgrading.

*sigh*
So what did I pick 'Galager' as my profile name?  Hell if I know.  Maybe it was the morphine...

Darryl

Remove 1'000 unavailable items (or 1,000,000 for that matter) in a few key presses (assuming you want to remove them all):
1. <Shift>+<Del> to clear the OMQL and Search fields
2. <Shift>+<Left> focus the OMQL text box.
3. !avail to show all your unavailable items (however many that is)
4. <CTRL>+A to select all items.
5. Right click and choose remove from media library.

All these shortcuts are explained in the complementary documentation.  It also points out the hovering the mouse over controls will show you what hidden gems are under them (mouse and keyboard).

BTW: You can do all of the most with the mouse too.

In the docs at http://www.otsav.com/esperance-docs/:
DEL (+w/SHIFT): "New Query" - clear active ML field and register existing contents in history buffer (and activate ML) - SHIFT clears both fields.
SHIFT+LEFT/RIGHT: change which ML field is active (and activate ML) - LEFT = OMQL, RIGHT = Search.
CTRL+A: select all/none items in active list (also clears focus mark if clearing selection).
OtsAV: PDI PAAA-BFDR

Version 3.0.8.0 of the Karaoke Hoster is available now - http://sourceforge.net/projects/karaokehoster

Checkout my CDG Editor - repair badly ripped CDG Karaoke files with ease: http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdgeditor/

Now Playing in OtsAV - https://sourceforge.net/projects/nowplayinginots/ - Show your Windows Live Messenger contacts what you are listening to in OtsAV.

Jumpin' Jeff

Will this be sufficient to show you how to remove unavailable items?

http://youtu.be/ozWZRwXU8nY

By default Ot sis configured to hide items ated at zero, and unavailable items. I show you how to adjust this in the video as well.
Jeff Main

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time. 
Abraham Lincoln

Galager

Jeff,

Did you do the Youtube video?  If so, thank you very much.  That was very kind.  I will take some time and watch it closely (many times) to see what you did. 

Thank you again.

Jumpin' Jeff

Indeed I did. Thought it would be helpfull. Sorry that it was without audio. but that would have taken me longer to get out.

Sorry also on this one that the context menu got clipped, but I hope you can tell where I changed the settings.
Jeff Main

Abraham Lincoln