OTS vs other software... my two cents...

Started by Mike Sinclair, May 16, 2011, 08:04:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krzyd

Quote from: discodonal.com on December 04, 2013, 08:45:56 PM
Should the 2.0 early adopters seek a refund as I think we were sold a pup all those years ago!
I wouldn't go that far, I've gotten HUGE value for what I paid ($99). I just wish there was more honesty in the development timeline.
I'm just here for the EDARGPU. Ots user since sometime in 2000!

Jammin' Adam

Quote from: krzyd on December 04, 2013, 08:53:23 PM
I wouldn't go that far, I've gotten HUGE value for what I paid ($99). I just wish there was more honesty in the development timeline.

+1 on the huge value part.

I'm also a home user, I bought "OtsJukeDJ" (also paid $99 in early 2001) because I liked the way it mixed my music and kept from me from rowing the volume up or down. For me anything extra added to Ots was bonus features. Now that I finally got a PC with plenty of grunt to do videos, I've been wondering why I waited so long to enjoy them, maybe I'll start playing around with karaoke too, that could great for home parties!

So yeah, I think I got my value from it and then some, but alas we are definitely not getting any younger.
Just an ordinary average guy, who built an ordinary average computer, and uses it to play some ordinary average music, using a very extraordinary and extremely above average software called OtsAV. Which gives an ordinary average person, some extraordinary and  better than average multimedia enjoyment, to supplement an otherwise ordinary average lifestyle.

OtsAV PDI's:
PAAA-BGGD | PBSB-FQ1N | PA31-FB5V

Glen J. Millar

Well a few days ago I bought another license as my DJ's said that they did not want to change, and as I got into 1.90 I started to use some of the other features (the ticker/slideshow) and make OtsAV work for ME and not me working to get it to do things it is not meant to do.

I also have a hard time thinking of converting music etc and learning a new software program when the one I have does what I need it to do.

btw I am a basic wedding & corporate party DJ and none of my guys are big on beat mixing.

SoundWave

Quote from: Capital DJ Services on December 05, 2013, 05:43:47 PM

I also have a hard time thinking of converting music etc and learning a new software program when the one I have does what I need it to do.

More and more I think that is the big barrier of entry to OTS.  I used it for a short time, and have 2 licenses, but always shuttered at converting and maintaining 2 full music databases.  I have gone through software conversions at my day job, and when a program or file type becomes obsolete, it is beyond a headache - it can be a business killer.

I know that there are benefits to the OTS file type.  One used to be file size.  That is not an issue today with the large HDs available.  OTS wants to become relevant again, bring back MP3 or other file type compatibility, and make the other data available as a file add-on, same file name with an OTS  extension, made in the same folder.  You would get a lot more people playing with the software if it would work with their existing libraries.

For now, I am content to come on here an read everybody's posts - love this place, even if I don't use OTS.
Neil Hill - SoundWave Music
OtsAV DJ Pro-Classic
PDI=PA1C-EX89

discodonal.com

Every now and again Ots pop up,and say that DJ is not there main market but they were not saying this when they wanted cash up front to develop Ots DJ 2.0.

Mike Sinclair

Quote from: discodonal.com on December 06, 2013, 07:08:59 PM
Every now and again Ots pop up,and say that DJ is not there main market but they were not saying this when they wanted cash up front to develop Ots DJ 2.0.

Well said!

shdixon

I still use the old version. The new is just too small to read for my old eyes. I'm fast with the old version. I know where everything is. I'm fast to locate and decide when to use a song request. Using OTS is second nature. I'm free to stay connected with the event and the people without ANY worry about the software or any energy wasted on trying to think about how to use a feature or where to find it. I have said over and over for many years that OTS is just a hammer I use to do my business. If a better hammer came out I would have switched in a heartbeat. For me, no better hammer has come out, not even the new version of OTS.

I did my in-office holiday party last week. I helped develop the plan but they didn't give me all the updates. Partially because the party plan continued to be developed and altered right up to the day of the party. As part of the entertainment they had created a flash mob dance. They had a  small CD player on a table. It wasn't till 5 minutes before the event started that I  saw one of the ladies take my microphone over a try to lay it in front of the small speaker and play the song they intended to dance to. I asked what did she want to do. That's when I found out about the flash mob dance. I did not have time to rip the CD to OTS but because I still use the OLD version of OTS I just put the CD in my laptop and OTS read the file. I slid the song into the work area and once I got the nod for the flash mob I slid the song to the playlist and away we went. Effortless, quick, and  perfect. Another moment when I was glad I used OTS.

So, I won't use the new version. I have no desire to learn the interface and honestly I can't see it that well. Plus, without the CD import it fails to quickly do what I needed at my party, which is exactly what happens when someone brings in that special song that needs to be played.

Adam, Steve. Keep the old version going. Let people choose. You already know the code so it should be easy to update but honestly, it really doesn't need updating.

For me, the OLD OTS is still be best tool for my business.
Stan Dixon, Central Ohio USA
http://www.standixonentertainment.com

clover-leaf-productions

I have to agree with Stan on this.  The old version just works, like a hammer!

I use a 14'' LCD monitor, attached to the desktop tower that gets hidden under the table.  I like the small monitor on the table.  I can easily see around it to see what is happening at the event.  The new 22, and 23 flat panels are just too big to use at an event.  All the crowd would say, would be, "Where is the Dj? Oh wait he is hiding behind that big monitor!"  I do not want to show off my monitor.  I want people to not even know it is there.  The new Ots will not be readable on that little monitor.

Plus I mentioned the tower system.  I like my M Audio card.  It sounds great.  I need that big cabinet to hide it in.  I like windozzze XP pro.  It is the hammer of OS's.  Win 7, and 8 have not proven themselves to me.  I work with OS's everyday in the real job; and XP just works.  I am not planning on changing any time soon.

So it's old Ots for Me!!
Cheers,
Brian
Dayton, Ohio, USA

www.clover-leaf-productions.com

dickus51

Well I have to say Win 7 Ultimate 64bit is rock solid and a M-audiocard run for 30 days 24/7 and probably longer hadn't Microsoft come up with updates and forced a restart in the middle of the night. That's  good enough for me and the new version of OTS too. But anything good for you, stick with it no matter what others think.

Cheers  :wacko:
Dick
OtsAV Dj Pro-Classic+ x 2
OtsAV Broadcaster
PDI: PA6A-SM62 | PAD3-HXAB | PAM7-8TM9  :thumb: