Mp4's

Started by Maccamusic, September 09, 2010, 10:01:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maccamusic

Hi everyone,

I'm a new user of OTsAV and still getting used to using it. I have 2 questions:

1) Does it support Mp4's? (I can't seem to convert them from my iTunes folder? when using the batch file convert)?

2), Is there any benefit (reduced file size?) of copying CD's as whole albums rather than separate song files?

Any help or assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Maccamusic

Duffie

Quote from: Maccamusic on September 09, 2010, 10:01:06 AM
1) Does it support Mp4's? (I can't seem to convert them from my iTunes folder? when using the batch file convert)?

No support of mp4. Maybe in the future.
Duffie

Darryl

Here's my tuppence worth:

1. The OtsAV documentation shows the file format supported - mp4 video can be converted to MPEG2 if it is DRM free (I use TMPGEnc for this purpose personally).  See http://docs.otslabs.com/OtsStudio/help/converting_your_music/supported_media_types.htm for more details.

2. There's very little reduction in file size - if the album contains songs from a singe artist, then the storage for the artist name is reduced (it references the default artist chunk rather than storing multiple times).  That's about the only example I can think of.  There are other benefits of having multiple items in an Ots Album file - e.g. if you want a radio edit (the OtsStudio example uses Stairway to Heaven) where you don't want to play the long intro or outro, you can create a chunk reference to the audio data rather than copying it.

For question 2 - the choice is personal preference.  I prefer fewer files (since the PC file system of old - FAT - really couldn't handle thousands of files in a folder very well - but that is less of an issue with NTFS).
OtsAV: PDI PAAA-BFDR

Version 3.0.8.0 of the Karaoke Hoster is available now - http://sourceforge.net/projects/karaokehoster

Checkout my CDG Editor - repair badly ripped CDG Karaoke files with ease: http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdgeditor/

Now Playing in OtsAV - https://sourceforge.net/projects/nowplayinginots/ - Show your Windows Live Messenger contacts what you are listening to in OtsAV.

H8ytr

I used to have all my OTS files as albums, containing multiple things

but I moved to individual files for these reasons:

a - If one file corrupts, you've only lost one song, if you have 20 songs in a single file, you lose 20 songs
b - Much easier to search in windows explorer for certain songs, if you want to find dupes, find a song to convert back to mp3 etc
c - I used to use FAT32 and couldn't store big DVD albums like promo only as 1 big file....

Jumpin' Jeff

Quote from: H8ytr on September 09, 2010, 03:19:51 PM
a - If one file corrupts, you've only lost one song, if you have 20 songs in a single file, you lose 20 songs

Not necessarily true... potentially, but my experience is that when I get file coruption, it usually only affects the audio or video data chunks, and the remainder of the Otsfile can play without problems. I've been able to delete the affected chunk, and re import, and all was well.
Jeff Main

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time. 
Abraham Lincoln

OtsAV license holder for life.
PDI: OtsAV TV Broadcaster PARC-KHY7

Maccamusic

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all you replies and answers - I really didn't expect any replies and certai nbly not this quick!

I think I'm going to stick to individual files for searching and also ultimately maybe I'll delete the files on an album (fillers) that I don't use.

One other quick question, is there a converter tool for converting OTS files back to Mp3's? Th eonly reason I ask is becuase I intend on having my entire collection on my home PC for home use and at the m,oment I'm simply deletign teh Mp3 files after I've converted them to OTS files to save space on my laptop.

Thansk again

Carl 'Macca'

milky

Ots Studio has an export option under the "File" menu item.
OtsDJ           PDI = PAAA-BHVP,  PBQN-3658
S & L               PDI = PAAA-BK27 x 2
Studio             PDI = PAAA-BL38

Jumpin' Jeff

As milky states, Yes it does, but it works best with multi-track album files that you don't convert one track at a time.
Jeff Main

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time. 
Abraham Lincoln

tam808

I think for converting MP3's to Ots and then if need be, to convert back to MP3's, the old MP3 convert programme called MP3OTS.exe I think, was much simpler than through Ots Studio.

Giving it a few thoughts I think if they split Ots Studio into 2 programmes - Studio to do all the editing of files, name corrections etc and the other called, say OtsConvert to handle simply all the file conversions. It could have 3 main sections Audio, Video & Karaoke, since I doubt that these can be mixed in any particular session.  I think the present studio interface is a bit of a 'dog's breakfast' at the moment.

Many times I think software designers are too close to the product to see a better interface, and try and think like the customer.  (that not only applies to Ots but many other software people)

Hoping as well that in the convert programme they would provide a full reversal to your original, for Audio, Video & Karaoke.

Anyone agree  :thumbsup: or am I just sounding off  :confused:

Jumpin' Jeff

Personally, I think it needs to stay in a single interface. Why do we need to split it up again?  Multiple programs IMO, only makes it more complicated, and difficult to use.
Jeff Main

Abraham Lincoln

Tim Gainer

Quote from: Artist formerly known as 'Jumpin' Jeff' on October 04, 2010, 11:51:51 AM
Personally, I think it needs to stay in a single interface. Why do we need to split it up again?  Multiple programs IMO, only makes it more complicated, and difficult to use.

...not to mention a real burden on your hard drive!

I personally like ripping full albums; convenience and ease of cataloging. But as mentioned eariler, this is strictly a personal preference based on how you use Ots.
Ots Radio Broadcaster 1.94
PDI=PB5E-FGPP
Ots DJPro 1.94
PDI=PBN6-ZLTL
Ots DJPro 1.90
PDI=PBXH-PNK9

If music is the food of the soul, then play on...

:aGuitar:

tam808

Quote from: Tim Gainer on October 04, 2010, 05:09:42 PM

...not to mention a real burden on your hard drive!

I don't think so Tim - My total disk usage for the full OTS installation is just over 13,000mb
with the OtsStudio only 1,030kb & the main OtsAVDJ programme at 1,604kb

So IF an additional programme was added at less than OtsStudio say under 1,000kb, your hard drive would never notice it.

Remember the average size of an audio file is roughly 4,500kb & how many of them do you have on your hard drive?

Lane

the other programs can't use .ots files.
It's all just programming :P