What is the maximum number of characters for artist & Titles?

Started by BobP, March 29, 2010, 08:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobP

Hi All,

I am a newbie. My Name is Bob Pomerleau. I am loading several thousands songs and Karaoke files.

Is there a restriction on number of characters for artists and titles?

I see it only exception 30 characters for titles. Is this right? It will allow you to modify and add more characters in OTS Studio.

Am I missing something?

Also, Should be no spaces between the (-) hyphen for artist and title.

Thank you for your help and OTSAV is a great product.

Bob

Jammin' Adam

Hi Bob, welcome to the board.

There is a limitation in title names but I know it is a heck of a lot more than 30 characters, If Ots Studio needs to read tagging info to get the title/artist information then it is usually ID3v1 tags it reads, those tags definitely limit the number of characters for the title and artist.

Normally I place a space before and after a dash in a file name such as "Aerosmith - Toys In The Attic.ots" for example, but in a song title I really havn't run into a situation like that so sorry I'm not much help there. I'm sure someone will chime in on that one.
Just an ordinary average guy, who built an ordinary average computer, and uses it to play some ordinary average music, using a very extraordinary and extremely above average software called OtsAV. Which gives an ordinary average person, some extraordinary and  better than average multimedia enjoyment, to supplement an otherwise ordinary average lifestyle.

OtsAV PDI's:
PAAA-BGGD | PBSB-FQ1N | PA31-FB5V

Jumpin' Jeff

The oml limits the number of characters for artist and title to 64.
Jeff Main

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time. 
Abraham Lincoln

OtsAV license holder for life.
PDI: OtsAV TV Broadcaster PARC-KHY7

Ed

Quote from: Jumpin' Jeff on March 29, 2010, 11:45:11 PM
The oml limits the number of characters for artist and title to 64.

Jeff, thought you were going to take a break on the forum, LOL

JAylmer

But if you view the title/artist data via the RAC server (for an ots file) then the max title length is around 15 characters, not sure of exact length. 
If the title is longer then it gets truncated.  This may not be important for what you are doing.

Jumpin' Jeff

Ed, I said that, yes, and if you hadn't noticed, March 2010 to now is a long break... ;)

JAylmer, As I've been working on a revised version of the RAC to ticker scroll script, I've been playing with the artist and title info which maxes out at 64 characters in the Media library file, and I can see all 64 chars from the RAC. It might get truncated in the default Ots web page... I haven't checked, but it's likely this is due to the page formatting.
Jeff Main

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time. 
Abraham Lincoln

Ed

Yep Jeff, this is an ole post....did not pay attention to that, however you have posting recently elsewhere!

JAylmer

Hi Jeff,

If I do a "/x/query.cgi?q=playlist"  which returns the whole playlist then perhaps it will show 64 characters.

But if I do a "/x/query.cgi?q=status" to get the currently playing title/artist/status then it truncates.  If you say this is not so then I will revise my code
I would guess that this is what you use for your ticker?

JAylmer

Also given new security restriction in Win 7 & 8 regarding simulating keystrokes & mouse movements, have you had any issues with AutoHotKey working differently ot perhaps not working sometimes?

Jumpin' Jeff

I use now playing for the current trck, and I believe it is the status for the cover art location only. I can't look at the moment, but Theother list I believe I use for the playlist. I'll verify tonight.

As for Win 8, I've had some issues, yes. The RAC to ticker scroll is being tested on XP-32, 7-64, and 8-64.
Jeff Main

Abraham Lincoln

JAylmer

Sending keystrokes via .net code (send.keys) seems no longer possible since Microsoft have tightened security against bad guys who send keyboard characters via code..
The function works differently or not at all depending on Windows version.  I wonder how they have worked around it with AutoHotKey?

Darryl

You can still do it if you turn off User Account Control.
OtsAV: PDI PAAA-BFDR

Version 3.0.8.0 of the Karaoke Hoster is available now - http://sourceforge.net/projects/karaokehoster

Checkout my CDG Editor - repair badly ripped CDG Karaoke files with ease: http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdgeditor/

Now Playing in OtsAV - https://sourceforge.net/projects/nowplayinginots/ - Show your Windows Live Messenger contacts what you are listening to in OtsAV.

Jumpin' Jeff

Actually, I believe you have to run the script as admin, of which I have a handy little function I add to the script to do.
RunAsAdmin() ; *
{ Loop, %0%  ; For each parameter:
{ param := %A_Index%  ; Fetch the contents of the variable whose name is contained in A_Index.
params .= A_Space . param
}
ShellExecute := A_IsUnicode ? "shell32\ShellExecute":"shell32\ShellExecuteA"
if not A_IsAdmin
{ If A_IsCompiled
DllCall(ShellExecute, uint, 0, str, "RunAs", str, A_ScriptFullPath, str, params , str, A_WorkingDir, int, 1)
Else
DllCall(ShellExecute, uint, 0, str, "RunAs", str, A_AhkPath, str, """" . A_ScriptFullPath . """" . A_Space . params, str, A_WorkingDir, int, 1)
ExitApp
}
} ; -*
Jeff Main

Abraham Lincoln

Jumpin' Jeff

Just checked, and I do pull the playlist from the playlist query. Considering the Ots file stores 64 characters for each the title and artist fields, and the OML pulls from this info, 64 characters appears to be the limit. I've been retrieving my test file info with my RAC ticker scroll pulling from the Playlist query as state in previous post.
Jeff Main

Abraham Lincoln

JAylmer

Jeff, Must make the coding tough as the playlist query only shows the next dozen or so items and not the current playing item.
Also you would need to start your app before pressing play on OTS so your app can get the first playlist item?

Daryl, I'll check out the User Account Control, sad when you have to disable security features to get things to work, but at least there is a direction.